• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

True Freshmen QBs who could start week 1 in 2020

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You trying to tell us that OU has started a QB that wasn't a transfer.

giphy.gif

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Young. A lot of people think he will be even better than Tua. His Matre Dei Coach said he is the best QB he has ever had and they have had multiple Heisman winners.

Tua May come back but if he doesn’t we are gonna be set.
no mac jones?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why yes, I'd love for a true freshman to start week 1 Mich vs. Washington....especially because I'll be there. Seriously looking forward to that. Also, looking a lot more like Michigan should be a big favorite than I thought prior to the season.

True freshman QBs have been more viable over the last few years.

The last two natties have been won by true freshman QBs in Tua and Trevor Lawrence, and Jake Fromm also played for a natty as a true freshman two years ago.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jake Fromm declares for the draft(I don't think he will) Carson Beck has as good of a shot as the other 2 contenders for taking the job next season unless there's a transfer in. His competition would be:

Stetson Bennett- Former walk on who transfered to last chance U to transfer back to be the backup under scholarship. Would have the most experience by far of the candidates, but has big time limitations(height, and has been known to throw the ball up for grabs)

Dwan Mathis- Would be a RS freshman QB who had brain surgery right before the start of this season, and from everything I read needed this season to develop, but he couldn't practice, so didn't get a chance to properly develop. He would be the tallest and most mobile option, but a raw talent at best.
You can have Eason back, if you want.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way, I hated to see Justin Fields go, but I was a bit relieved when Jacob Eason left.
I hope he just declares for the draft.

He has to be one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the NCAA, but he’s missing something he doesn’t seem to care to find.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he just declares for the draft.

He has to be one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks in the NCAA, but he’s missing something he doesn’t seem to care to find.
That and he has the personality of a slug.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He graduated 2 weeks ago. He has 2 years of eligibility left. I could see Kirby trying to get him if Fromm declares. Mac is a really good QB.

I doubt Fromm declares, but going after Mac wouldn't surprise me if he does. But if Tua's little bro wants to transfer, Kirby would probably be all over that. He tried to make a late push for him during his recruitment.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True freshman QBs have been more viable over the last few years.

The last two natties have been won by true freshman QBs in Tua and Trevor Lawrence, and Jake Fromm also played for a natty as a true freshman two years ago.
Sure, but Lawrence was the #1 recruit in the recruiting class, Tua was a 5 star QB himself and Jake Fromm, while a 4 star, was #44 in the class just a few spots away from that 5th star. So it seems you have to have a pretty special QB recruit for that to be true. Washington's top QB recruit in 2020 is ranked outside the top 150.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but Lawrence was the #1 recruit in the recruiting class, Tua was a 5 star QB himself and Jake Fromm, while a 4 star, was #44 in the class just a few spots away from that 5th star. So it seems you have to have a pretty special QB recruit for that to be true. Washington's top QB recruit in 2020 is ranked outside the top 150.
Sam Huard, Kennedy Catholic, Pro-Style Quarterback

Ethan Garbers, Corona Del Mar, Pro-Style Quarterback

Dylan Morris, Washington, Pro-Style Quarterback

Jacob Sirmon, Washington, Pro-Style Quarterback

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jake Fromm declares for the draft(I don't think he will) Carson Beck has as good of a shot as the other 2 contenders for taking the job next season unless there's a transfer in. His competition would be:

Stetson Bennett- Former walk on who transfered to last chance U to transfer back to be the backup under scholarship. Would have the most experience by far of the candidates, but has big time limitations(height, and has been known to throw the ball up for grabs)

Dwan Mathis- Would be a RS freshman QB who had brain surgery right before the start of this season, and from everything I read needed this season to develop, but he couldn't practice, so didn't get a chance to properly develop. He would be the tallest and most mobile option, but a raw talent at best.

If Dwan Mathis is your QB next year — Georgia is going to take a big step back unless Mathis had an astronomical leap in his development.

I got to watch him a few times in HS and he struggled immensely throwing the ball against any decent team (we don’t have many in Michigan HS football), but he would roll up stats against the bad teams.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All indications point to Dylan Mccaffrey but he's had injury issues the last couple years. But I guess anything could happen in summer camp, our QB room is pretty talented.

Im not sold on any QB on UM’s roster being upgrades over Patterson (who was only slightly better than above average)

McCaffrey has played essentially one game worth of plays at UM and suffered 2 major injuries. His best attribute is his running, but he doesn’t have the body to handle the hits.

Milton can throw the ball 80+ yards, but Harbaugh would have a heart attack with all the int’s he’d throw if he were starter.

Not getting a QB in this class is really going to hurt. I have a sick feeling we will be bringing in another transfer, which is a joke. QB was supposed to be the one spot Harbaugh knows and going into year 6 — QB’s he has recruited out of HS have 2 TOTAL starts for UM and it was only because the 1st and 2nd string QB’s were hurt.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dwan Mathis is your QB next year — Georgia is going to take a big step back unless Mathis had an astronomical leap in his development.

I got to watch him a few times in HS and he struggled immensely throwing the ball against any decent team (we don’t have many in Michigan HS football), but he would roll up stats against the bad teams.

I'm 90% sure Fromm is coming back, but if he doesn't, Mathis is the least likely to get the job of the 3 options currently on the team.

He had brain surgery before the season this year and hasn't even practiced that I'm aware of.

If Fromm leaves and no transfer comes in, Stetson Bennett would be my bet to be the QB. He was the backup this season and got in a lot of games, and he knows the system well. He can sling it, and more of a running threat, but take more chances with the ball as well, and is considerably smaller than Fromm.