• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade for (offseason) or now

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do it too. I think they missed the boat on moving Paxton for something significant. He will be 27 next spring without a healthy big league season under his belt. I'm hesitant to guarantee him a spot next year. Walker is growing on me a little more. The intrigue is that he still isn't a finished product. However I think I would take Schwarber over either of them. But yeah don't see the Cubs doing it, especially not for Paxton.

Wow for some reason I had no idea Paxton was already 26.

Thought he was like 24 going on 25. Not 26 going on 27.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of that is because he got drafted and didn't sign then played independent league for a year and then the Mariners drafted him in the 4th round the following year. Easily one of my favorite players in that draft for the Mariners. It just slowed his progression down quite a bit.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea I was in the same boat until I looked this year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack will trade him for an infielder, and then convert that player to an outfielder.

Don't question his genius.

I stopped questioning him years ago...it made my head hurt.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would do it and have no problem doing it. Awful good offensive catcher, does he stay behind the plate? Probably not long term.

I would have more difficulty doing the deal if I were the Cubs.

Schwarber is playing left field more than catcher. His problem is that he is built like a catcher (6', 235 lbs) and despite not being a good defenisvve catcher, it is nevertheless his most natural position. He's blocked at first by Rizzo who will probably be the Cubbies first baseman for the next 12 years. So, Schwarber is kind of an enigma right now. He's the classic great bat/poor glove guy. A modern Dr Strangeglove like Dick Stuart.

I'm not sure I'd trade Walker for him at this point. Paxton - hell yeah, but the Cubs wouldn't do that deal.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the mythology of Wellington Castillo over the reality of Mike Zunino anyday.
And THAT is what makes us different from the front office. We want changes that might help the team, while Lincoln thrives on watching us lose.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And THAT is what makes us different from the front office. We want changes that might help the team, while Lincoln thrives on watching us lose.

Well, there a couple of things at play here.

1. The front office is not ready to admit that Zunino is a bust after striking out on Ackley and Hultzen.

and

2. Zunino may not have been a bust if he was given proper time to develop in the minor leagues.

But here is the thing about Zunino: he is now regarded for his defense and pitcher handling whereas when he was drafted, he was regarded for his offense. And really, Mike's defense would be far more valuable if we had a pitching staff that was above league average. But it isn't. It's below league average. The bullpen has been primarily responsible for that, but even when you isolate the rotation itself, the rotation is not league average either. The pitching staff has completely collapsed this year. We got a nice 12 game start from Felix. We got a nice 6-7 game run from Walker, and nice 4-game spurts Montgomery and Iwakuma. But for the most part, the rotation has not been what you would expect from a staff that gets half of its starts in Safeco Field.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The front office is not ready to admit that Zunino is a bust after striking out on Ackley and Hultzen.

and

2. Zunino may not have been a bust if he was given proper time to develop in the minor leagues.

My guess is as long this regime is here they will ride with Zunino as long as possible. He likely falls into the Ackley/Smoak group of getting every possible chance as oppose to a guy like Brad Miller who has been replaced a few different times this year.

This group plays favorites and it kind of is what it is.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller wouldn't be playing SS except in extreme pinches on any team besides a pile of shit like the M's or another bottom feeding/incompetent organization.

I'd rather not see him converted to an outfielder with us because he has more value as a trade chip since he could be a fine defensive second baseman for another team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino is tough.

He's one of the best pitch framers in the game, is still relatively young and has shown flashes of having really great power.

But the historically shitty batting average and the strikeouts are just crippling his production.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller wouldn't be playing SS except in extreme pinches on any team besides a pile of shit like the M's or another bottom feeding/incompetent organization.

I'd rather not see him converted to an outfielder with us because he has more value as a trade chip since he could be a fine defensive second baseman for another team.

I think I view him a little higher then that but also not making him out to be more then he is. I think he is fine bottom of the lineup guy in an average lineup.

My main point is he was brought up at the same time pretty much as Zunino and has shown more at the plate. Yet he has pretty much been benched twice while Zuninos job has never been in jeapordy. I also don't buy the "no alternatives" argument. This club chose to have no plan B for a catcher who hit .190 in his first full year last year. I guess similar to Ackley he gets more time because where he was drafted. The double standard is clear with this organization

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I view him a little higher then that but also not making him out to be more then he is. I think he is fine bottom of the lineup guy in an average lineup.

My main point is he was brought up at the same time pretty much as Zunino and has shown more at the plate. Yet he has pretty much been benched twice while Zuninos job has never been in jeapordy. I also don't buy the "no alternatives" argument. This club chose to have no plan B for a catcher who hit .190 in his first full year last year. I guess similar to Ackley he gets more time because where he was drafted. The double standard is clear with this organization

When you watch Marte play shortstop, you begin to realize how far the dropoff is to Miller. i think Miller still has plenty of value on this team, but he should only be playing shortstop when Marte needs a rest. When Miller throws to first, I find myself cringing in the same way I used to cringe when Rodeny was throwing a pitch. When Marte throws, I realize that I am relaxed. I have confidence that the ball will get to where it was intended to go.

Marte looks real. The Mariners may have finally developed their second decent position player (after Seagar) in the last 10 years.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you watch Marte play shortstop, you begin to realize how far the dropoff is to Miller. i think Miller still has plenty of value on this team, but he should only be playing shortstop when Marte needs a rest. When Miller throws to first, I find myself cringing in the same way I used to cringe when Rodeny was throwing a pitch. When Marte throws, I realize that I am relaxed. I have confidence that the ball will get to where it was intended to go.

Marte looks real. The Mariners may have finally developed their second decent position player (after Seagar) in the last 10 years.

Yea I think that is a fair view. I'll be honest that I haven't watched as much the last month since Marte has been up so I haven't seen much outside of looking at box scores and a game or two a week. I figure the lack of free agent options would mean either miller or Marte would be an option on center next year. I really wish Jackson was off the team so that process could get started now.

However if it's decided Marte is the SS and they stick to that I'm fine with it. Just need to make up there mind and stop moving guys around.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers were very interested in acquiring Austin Jackson “a few days ago,” but nothing came of those talks, Cafardo writes. Jackson, 28, cleared waivers last week and was said to be generating interest, though it appears that no one wanted to take the remaining ~$1.7MM salary off the Mariners‘ hands.