• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade for (offseason) or now

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Bauer.

Needs a change. Great stuff. Walks too many. Hey saber guys, does he miss bats?

On the cheap, they have to be frustrated by him, AT LEAST ASK! Cheap. We gave Ackley Cheap.

Bottom line, try to find guys that have huge upside on the very cheap. Bauer is the guy.
Wellington Castillo was that guy, then we gave him away.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the mythology of Wellington Castillo over the reality of Mike Zunino anyday.
Even though you're wrong about this, I'd still like you as a GM more than Jack.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though you're wrong about this, I'd still like you as a GM more than Jack.

I'm not wrong. Castillo won't dupliicate his offensive Arizona stats here, obviously. But maybe we wouldn't have given up five runs to wild pitches in the last month either. I've seen enough of Zuinino. He is not major league talent at this point in his careeer. Castillo is.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wrong, and that's a very selective look at performance defensively and offensively.

Catcher is the most important defensive position on the team, and the stats speak for themselves over the course of the year. Castillo's offense wouldn't make up for that.

As I said in another thread, I'm all for upgrading our catcher, but the moronic statements about Castillo are a little much.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wrong, and that's a very selective look at performance defensively and offensively.

Catcher is the most important defensive position on the team, and the stats speak for themselves over the course of the year. Castillo's offense wouldn't make up for that.

As I said in another thread, I'm all for upgrading our catcher, but the moronic statements about Castillo are a little much.

Catcher most important defensively? Meh. That's opinion, not fact. Everything up the middle is important. As long as the catcher can catch a thrown pitch, then he is no more important than the SS and CFer.

People talk about how great Mike is about framing pitches. That's generally what they say about a catcher who doesn't do anything else well. His play behind the plate is overrated.

Edgar couldn't help him. I think Edgar was the last ditch attempt to save Mike. He's not a sucker for the low outside pitch anymore but now he can't catch up to the fastball. He's hopeless. He's regressed in each of the last two seasons. If Castillo could hit .220 with 10 homeruns, 40 RBI in 120 starts with this team, he would more than offset whatever superiority Zunino has over him defensively.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Bauer.

On the cheap, they have to be frustrated by him, AT LEAST ASK! Cheap. We gave Ackley Cheap.

Bottom line, try to find guys that have huge upside on the very cheap. Bauer is the guy.

We already have Montgomery, Paxton, Walker, Elias. I think that is probably enough young pitchers still learning their craft at the MLB level. They need to be looking at accomplished veterans who still have plenty left in the tank. Even if they keep Iwakuma, they still need another solid vet in the rotation next year. And i mean a solid guy. I've seen enough of guys like Happ, Saunders, Harangatang, Millwood....

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Bauer.

It would really depend on the price tag for me, but most it would depend on the specific players involved in the trade. The price I wouldn't want to spend much more than it would cost to get a good bullpen guy, otherwise I don't think its worth the risk. I really like when a team has tons of depth at SP, so I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him. I think Bauer still has some upside and he is young just not convinced he can put it all together consistently.

My 2 cents on Bauer: He has some unconventional methods for preparing for games which I think are dumb personally and I think contribute to his inconsistency. It may also contribute to him breaking down quicker during his career (we will see). He seems pretty stubborn in his ways which is concerning. I actually would probably like Bauer more if he were a bullpen guy and honestly I think he would have better stuff/velocity coming out of the bullpen but I don't think he would like that move nor do I think many teams would consider it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason the Cards have had such great success since Malina took over. They control the bases on defense and can change the entire outlook of a pitching staff...which I consider defense as well. Zunino could still be that guy, but he would have to turn it around soon or go down for a year and then come back up 2017 and show what he has learned. Just think, we were close to signing Martin in the off season. That would have been a great addition.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason the Cards have had such great success since Malina took over. They control the bases on defense and can change the entire outlook of a pitching staff...which I consider defense as well. Zunino could still be that guy, but he would have to turn it around soon or go down for a year and then come back up 2017 and show what he has learned. Just think, we were close to signing Martin in the off season. That would have been a great addition.

And it took Molina a while to put together decent offensive numbers (not as bad a Zunino, but not very good either). As I stated before, Zunino's offensive struggles are only an issue because 6 out of the 9 line up spots are also struggling. Catcher doesn't need to be an offensive juggernaut, but it helps if it's the only offensive dud position.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it took Molina a while to put together decent offensive numbers (not as bad a Zunino, but not very good either). As I stated before, Zunino's offensive struggles are only an issue because 6 out of the 9 line up spots are also struggling. Catcher doesn't need to be an offensive juggernaut, but it helps if it's the only offensive dud position.

Molina's offense was never the difference maker (but yes it helped). Even before he hit, he was a major difference maker. My point being that if Zunino went 0 for 600 he would still have major value if he defended, if you will, like Molina or Bench.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Molina's offense was never the difference maker (but yes it helped). Even before he hit, he was a major difference maker. My point being that if Zunino went 0 for 600 he would still have major value if he defended, if you will, like Molina or Bench.

I agree with that. I was agreeing with your post - I just sometimes don't sound like it....

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason the Cards have had such great success since Malina took over. They control the bases on defense and can change the entire outlook of a pitching staff...which I consider defense as well.
exactly

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. I was agreeing with your post - I just sometimes don't sound like it....

I thought you were but I didn't think I explain my point well enough on previous post.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you trade either Walker or Paxton for Schwarber of the Cubs? Would Cubs?

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would do it and have no problem doing it. Awful good offensive catcher, does he stay behind the plate? Probably not long term.

I would have more difficulty doing the deal if I were the Cubs.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do it too. I think they missed the boat on moving Paxton for something significant. He will be 27 next spring without a healthy big league season under his belt. I'm hesitant to guarantee him a spot next year. Walker is growing on me a little more. The intrigue is that he still isn't a finished product. However I think I would take Schwarber over either of them. But yeah don't see the Cubs doing it, especially not for Paxton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you both on this. Paxton is the Bedard of today and there is no Bavasi to bail us out with a value trade for him. Schwarber does need to be in the AL long term IMO.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would I?

Yes. No doubt.

Would the Cubs? If I was the Cubs, I wouldn't. I think it would take more than just Walker or Paxton. Would need to be one of them + something else valuable IMO.