• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade for Ichiro?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a wild thought in my head the other day I was at the Rays Mariners game on Monday. Looking at the OF we are pretty thin to the point we have brad miller playing there and everyone that we signed or traded for in the offseason not named Seth Smith hasnt done anything. Weeks, Ackley, and Ruggiano have been awful and Ichiro has been playing well with the little time he has been getting in Miami. The marlins suck and were trying to win this thing should we look at an ichiro trade? Maybe give up Farquar or something

Also the fan in me wants me to see ichiro get his 3000 hit as a mariner, watching griffey not hit his 500th as a mariner kinda kills

No. That ship has sailed.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have some young guys and are not THAT much in a WIN NOW mode (we still need multiple other pieces to connect). This just doesn't make sense to me. As a cheap free agent (if he was) fine, but don't trade away pieces for a guy who's got a couple years left in the tank and isn't single handed going to put us over the mark.

We need:

Cano to pull his head out.
Iwakuma to heal quickly so we can send Walker down.
Rodney/relief to pull their heads out (mostly Lord Farquar)
Either Ackley or Zuni to step up and actually bat over .225 (not a huge ask here for guys that were WELL over .300 at their draft point).

Ichiro maybe solves one of those items (Ackley) but that's just not enough.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have some young guys and are not THAT much in a WIN NOW mode (we still need multiple other pieces to connect). This just doesn't make sense to me. As a cheap free agent (if he was) fine, but don't trade away pieces for a guy who's got a couple years left in the tank and isn't single handed going to put us over the mark.

We need:

Cano to pull his head out.
Iwakuma to heal quickly so we can send Walker down.
Rodney/relief to pull their heads out (mostly Lord Farquar)
Either Ackley or Zuni to step up and actually bat over .225 (not a huge ask here for guys that were WELL over .300 at their draft point).

Ichiro maybe solves one of those items (Ackley) but that's just not enough.

How are we not in a win now mode? We have both a Cy young and MVP player on our rosters we were only a game away from making the playoffs last season, oakland and texas are starting to look like sinking ships and who knows what the angels are. We just need to catch up to the astros whom are only 4 games ahead of us. Ackley, Weeks, and Ruggiano arent going to take us to where we need to be.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are we not in a win now mode? We have both a Cy young and MVP player on our rosters we were only a game away from making the playoffs last season, oakland and texas are starting to look like sinking ships and who knows what the angels are. We just need to catch up to the astros whom are only 4 games ahead of us. Ackley, Weeks, and Ruggiano arent going to take us to where we need to be.

I meant we're still a young enough team with our MVPs locked up for a bit where it just doesn't seem smart to sacrifice stuff to MAYBE make the playoffs. But I dunno man, I'm coming from a football background, not as knowledgeable with MLB so maybe your point is made.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant we're still a young enough team with our MVPs locked up for a bit where it just doesn't seem smart to sacrifice stuff to MAYBE make the playoffs. But I dunno man, I'm coming from a football background, not as knowledgeable with MLB so maybe your point is made.

Football is a little different animal there are some teams that make the playoffs but realistically have no shot to make it to the superbowl let alone win it (bengals, panthers) but in baseball ANYTHING can happen there is no homefield advantage only who is the starting pitcher that day. Idk if you watched last season but the two teams that played in the world series were teams that won 88 and 89 games respectively barely making it in. Its any mans game once the playoffs start. I KNOW with a pitcher like felix hernandez, kuma, or paxton we can do something special if we make it now we have the hottest hitter in the AL in our lineup we NEED to make these playoffs

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is a little different animal there are some teams that make the playoffs but realistically have no shot to make it to the superbowl let alone win it (bengals, panthers) but in baseball ANYTHING can happen there is no homefield advantage only who is the starting pitcher that day. Idk if you watched last season but the two teams that played in the world series were teams that won 88 and 89 games respectively barely making it in. Its any mans game once the playoffs start. I KNOW with a pitcher like felix hernandez, kuma, or paxton we can do something special if we make it now we have the hottest hitter in the AL in our lineup we NEED to make these playoffs

Great point (+1). I forget NFL is a lot more physical and there's ultimately a lot more players that factor in where one can make very little difference. Agreed MLB one player makes a bigger difference and luck can play a bigger role.

I'm still not sure about Ichiro (what would it take to get him? Can't we get someone younger/closer to his average? Even a .250/.260 hitter would do). I thought that's what we grabbed Castillo for (couple BIG time Cubs fans in Chicago said he'd prob. be a run of the mill .250 or so hitter with a great arm) but so far he's done zip.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point (+1). I forget NFL is a lot more physical and there's ultimately a lot more players that factor in where one can make very little difference. Agreed MLB one player makes a bigger difference and luck can play a bigger role.

I'm still not sure about Ichiro (what would it take to get him? Can't we get someone younger/closer to his average? Even a .250/.260 hitter would do). I thought that's what we grabbed Castillo for (couple BIG time Cubs fans in Chicago said he'd prob. be a run of the mill .250 or so hitter with a great arm) but so far he's done zip.

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt want to give up anybody good for him I wouldnt mind trading ackley straight up for him because im so done with that guy. The Marlins shouldnt be asking for a lot they are in last place hes on a 1 year deal and its not like hes the starter there anyway.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think the organization is anywhere near a win now mode, they are in stay in contention until September so we make a profit mode or Connie Mack ball

IMO If they were in win now mode they would've:

Signed a SP in the offseason

Signed or traded for an everyday OF instead of doing a massive platoon

Signed or traded for a real back up catcher

Actually done the negotiations with Cruz instead of having Felix and Cano do it so they realized Cruz wanted to play RF instead of creating a clusterF of people who have no role on the team because Cruz decided to play in the field

Actually gone into the season with an OF who was already going to be on the team the next season. I can't recall ever there being a team that goes into the season without an OF who is already set to come back the next season when none are even close to an all star

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at his stats and the money he could bring the franchise, I don't think it would be a bad move.

It's unfortunate that so many people really dislike Ichiro. Was he a team player? No, but he did a lot of great things for this organization when we really had nothing else to root for.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but he did a lot of great things for this organization when we really had nothing else to root for.

I know this sounds wrong, but I blame him for this as well. He had the ear of the owner and he could get them to do just about whatever he wanted them to (my assumption from everything I read about him and the old man Nintendo) yet he never pressed them for a winning team and that he seemed satisfied with just getting his won stats.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the organization is anywhere near a win now mode, they are in stay in contention until September so we make a profit mode or Connie Mack ball

IMO If they were in win now mode they would've:

Signed a SP in the offseason

Signed or traded for an everyday OF instead of doing a massive platoon

Signed or traded for a real back up catcher

Actually done the negotiations with Cruz instead of having Felix and Cano do it so they realized Cruz wanted to play RF instead of creating a clusterF of people who have no role on the team because Cruz decided to play in the field

Actually gone into the season with an OF who was already going to be on the team the next season. I can't recall ever there being a team that goes into the season without an OF who is already set to come back the next season when none are even close to an all star

Going into the offseason and into this season we knew for sure we had available felix, kuma, tai, and pax, then traded for happ and if anything went wrong we had Elias so thats 6 pitchers we had available Jack probably felt that was enough to work with. last season ackley did pretty well he was someone we could put in the bottom of the lineup as the #6-8 hitter I dont believe anyone saw him having the worst 100 at bats of his career. We had jackson at CF and traded for Smith who isnt bad for a guy to also have in the bottom of the lineup and having Ruggiano back up all these guys. you cant tell me this lineup with cano, cruz, seager, isnt in the same ballpark as some of these first place teams like the twins. I cant argue with not acquiring a backup catcher

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro was always aloof, and it wasn't just a language thing.

Funny how people will try to re-write history.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this sounds wrong, but I blame him for this as well. He had the ear of the owner and he could get them to do just about whatever he wanted them to (my assumption from everything I read about him and the old man Nintendo) yet he never pressed them for a winning team and that he seemed satisfied with just getting his won stats.
very much

all of his teammates would talk about how he could hit for more power if he chose to, but he was more interested in taking his 9-iron swings and racking up singles to pad his historical numbers

i don't dislike him at all, but he was a very selfish player

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into the offseason and into this season we knew for sure we had available felix, kuma, tai, and pax, then traded for happ and if anything went wrong we had Elias so thats 6 pitchers we had available Jack probably felt that was enough to work with. last season ackley did pretty well he was someone we could put in the bottom of the lineup as the #6-8 hitter I dont believe anyone saw him having the worst 100 at bats of his career. We had jackson at CF and traded for Smith who isnt bad for a guy to also have in the bottom of the lineup and having Ruggiano back up all these guys. you cant tell me this lineup with cano, cruz, seager, isnt in the same ballpark as some of these first place teams like the twins. I cant argue with not acquiring a backup catcher

So Jack went into the season with 2 reliable pitchers in Felix and semi Haap? Kuma, Paxton, Walker nor Elias could be counted to pitch an entire season. Even Haap wasn't a known so basically he gambled on 4/5 of the starting rotation.

Counting on Ackley is another retarded Jackism, Jackson in CF is the only position that was set. They went into the year with a platoon of LF and RF. That's not a win now mode. For a team who's offense has been inconsistent at best he set the offense up to have 3 consistent inconsistent spots let alone counting on Jackson to play above his career numbers. 3-5 was set and if Cano was hitting it is right up there with the best but its hard to imagine anyone could've looked at the entire lineup and been confident I'm saying it is deep 1-9 or even 7 spots.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jack went into the season with 2 reliable pitchers in Felix and semi Haap? Kuma, Paxton, Walker nor Elias could be counted to pitch an entire season. Even Haap wasn't a known so basically he gambled on 4/5 of the starting rotation.

Counting on Ackley is another retarded Jackism, Jackson in CF is the only position that was set. They went into the year with a platoon of LF and RF. That's not a win now mode. For a team who's offense has been inconsistent at best he set the offense up to have 3 consistent inconsistent spots let alone counting on Jackson to play above his career numbers. 3-5 was set and if Cano was hitting it is right up there with the best but its hard to imagine anyone could've looked at the entire lineup and been confident I'm saying it is deep 1-9 or even 7 spots.

so let me ask you think if Cano was doing his job and hitting like he was last season, Tai not getting rocked every start playing avg, kuma not being hurt and ackley batting around .240 would this team be in first place? because i think so