• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 6 baseball cities

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing that great baseball cities like Boston, ny, and Chicago would want a MLB title over an NFL title. Baseball fans are in the minority. I would take a white sox playoff appearance over a bears super bowl. It would be hard to find many people that would agree with me.
Using that as the judge as to whether it is baseball city or a football city is a bit too fluid, I think. For San Fran, I think if this question were asked in 2009, most sports fans would have said they would want a Giants ring or a Warriors ring more than another Niners ring. If that question were asked now, I think it would be a resounding vote for the Niners. They have not taken a ring in over 20 years.

For the Sox vs Bears, as someone not living in Chicago, I think it would be a pretty clear vote for Cubs #1, Bears #2. The Sox and Bulls have recent titles to keep that aggravation at bay.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston, New York, St Louis, San Francisco, Chicago, Minneapolis

The most popular and best supported team in the Atlanta market is the Georgia Bulldogs football team even though they play an hour and a half away. I'd love for Atlanta to be a baseball team and the Braves sell out every home game, but that's just not the case.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your mind what are the top 6 best baseball cities. The cities where MLB baseball rules. The cities where even if they share the city with NFL, NBA, or NHL, the city still would rather have a World Series title over any other?

I chose to list 6 because I feel naming 3 are pretty easy, New York, Boston, Chicago
:fify:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The most popular and best supported team in the Atlanta market is the Georgia Bulldogs football team even though they play an hour and a half away. I'd love for Atlanta to be a baseball team and the Braves sell out every home game, but that's just not the case.

But if polled the people in Atlants would likely want a Falcons Super Bowl since they've never won one, but I still think the Braves are the favorite pro team in the city.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using that as the judge as to whether it is baseball city or a football city is a bit too fluid, I think. For San Fran, I think if this question were asked in 2009, most sports fans would have said they would want a Giants ring or a Warriors ring more than another Niners ring. If that question were asked now, I think it would be a resounding vote for the Niners. They have not taken a ring in over 20 years.

For the Sox vs Bears, as someone not living in Chicago, I think it would be a pretty clear vote for Cubs #1, Bears #2. The Sox and Bulls have recent titles to keep that aggravation at bay.
It's really not close. It is bears, Cubs a distance second, Bulls, sox, Hawks (despite the current run they are on)

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was reading about that new stadium for the Braves and I think it will make a big difference for them. The baseball season is such a grind that the key is to have as many fans as possible within that 45 minute to hour drive of the stadium. People have no problem driving an hour and a half, or 2 or 3 hours to a Saturday college football game because it's an all day event and most people are off work. In MLB you need the average Joe who gets home at work at 530 on a Tuesday night and decides spur of the moment that it is nice weather and he wants to take the kids to a ballgame to be able to get there. Once that driving time gets too much more than an hour it makes going to the game more of a project.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading about that new stadium for the Braves and I think it will make a big difference for them. The baseball season is such a grind that the key is to have as many fans as possible within that 45 minute to hour drive of the stadium. People have no problem driving an hour and a half, or 2 or 3 hours to a Saturday college football game because it's an all day event and most people are off work. In MLB you need the average Joe who gets home at work at 530 on a Tuesday night and decides spur of the moment that it is nice weather and he wants to take the kids to a ballgame to be able to get there. Once that driving time gets too much more than an hour it makes going to the game more of a project.
Both turner field and sun trust are close to Atlanta just off of 285 The newness will attract some fans early but then it will go back to ho-hum baseball game "when does college football start":suds:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both turner field and sun trust are close to Atlanta just off of 285 The newness will attract some fans early but then it will go back to ho-hum baseball game "when does college football start":suds:
Well I believe in my assertion that having the stadium in a location that puts as many people as possible within a 1hr drive is a big factor in MLB attendance, but I'm not from Atlanta and I don't fact check everything I read so if you're saying that the new stadium actually isn't in a better location, then yeah it probably won't help.:suds:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read the entire thread, but I haven't seen any mention of Anaheim. Maybe it has to do with Anaheim only having to share the city with the Ducks. Or maybe its some sorta weird inferiority complex or superior complex having to do with Los Angeles. Whatever it is and despite that dumb ass name change Moreno came up with. The Angels are supported well by Anaheim and neighboring cities. Well enough that with 6 openings they deserve some mention. And LA is most definitely in the top 6. Even when the Lakers were kings of the NBA. The Dodgers had their die-hard fans.

The most fanatical and loyal fans in LA though are w/o question Kings fans.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball cities

Detroit
New York
Boston
Chicago
LA
Cincinnati

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City is most certainly a baseball city....it deserves to be in the top 6 imo, i don't see how you say it's a football town

@yoga≈surfing Cleveland? really? they get 10k fans a game
You do realize nobody gave a shit about the royals from about 1990-2014 right?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to say, I think SF is a football town. To me it's a baseball town because f*ck football, but I think since the Warriors and Giants have recent rings, people are just craving a football ring. Which blows. Because the 49ers are such a poorly run organization. And if we're including the Bay Area in this, the Raiders have been looking to move away for years so it's hard to say they're really committed to bringing a Super Bowl to "Oakland". People are PISSED when the 49ers are bad. I'm not sure about the Giants in that scenario. When the Giants were bad 2005-2008, we had Bonds chasing records (2008 people weren't all that mad, more curious about post-Bonds life), and I wasn't really aware of how the fan base acted when the Giants were bad before that stretch.

Can Miami be considered an anything town? No one shows up to any of their sports.

Philadelphia is so passionate about all their sports teams that they just end up hating all of them.

Also, that's kinda sad about San Diego.
Not true about miami.

The heat are a sell out on the regular and so are the dolphins.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City is a smaller metro...you gotta take that into account imo
And the fact they didnt show up to games for three decades.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. NY
  2. Chi
  3. San Fran
  4. Det
  5. St louis
  6. Boston
In no particular order.

Reactions: BUD

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody can call LA a top baseball town. They get solid attendance due to shear size, but LA is the Lakers town. It says something when Magic Johnson is a minority owner of the Dodgers.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody can call LA a top baseball town. They get solid attendance due to shear size, but LA is the Lakers town. It says something when Magic Johnson is a minority owner of the Dodgers.
Come to think of it, I wonder how the Rams play in all of this now. They could be playing 2nd or even 3rd fiddle.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was lumping Anaheim in with LA but solid attendance is an understatement. I would call it fantastic attendance.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come to think of it, I wonder how the Rams play in all of this now. They could be playing 2nd or even 3rd fiddle.
Rams were there once before remember... And moved. I get that the NFL is a different animal than it was in the early 90s... But I don't see the Rams over taking the Lakers or Dodgers for popularity any time soon.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like 5th fiddle if they put the same product on display that they gave STL for the past decade. If they improve...probably up to 2nd fiddle...its still the NFL.