• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 NBA Coaches on the Hot Seat

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are my top 5 coaches I think are on the hot seat this year:

1) Alvin Gentry - Has really underachieved his entire time in New Orleans. In his defense, he's had to deal with major injuries to his best players and also hasn't had much of a roster to work with until now. If he's not able to make the playoffs this year with Cousins, AD and a healthy Holiday, I think he's on the way out. Would be really interesting to see him pair up again with Luke Walton in LA though.

2) Doc Rivers - I think Ballmer might finally be catching on to the leagues worst secret: Doc is a bad coach. He may get some leeway from ownership because they lost CP3, but if the Clips for some reason miss the playoffs, I think you'll see them get rid of Rivers. He's already been stripped of his executive role.

3) Jeff Hornacek - First full year without having to dedicate himself to the Phil Jackson ways of old. He's already on shaky ground with their franchise player in Porzingas. If Hornacek can't show any growth with the team, it might be time to part ways. Firing him might just be the best thing from a player development aspect. The Knicks are going to need a rebuild and they should focus on a coach who's able to get that done.

4) Dwayne Casey - Toronto has been a middling playoff team for some time now. They have some legit pieces to their team but haven't been able to get over the hump. Of course that has a lot to do with Lebron's dominance, but I think at some point management might want to part with him to bring in a fresh set of eyes to the team. We've seen this in the past from teams like the Warriors, Hawks, Grizzlies, etc. I also don't think he's a great coach either.

5) Fred Hoiberg - His situation is a bit trickier because his roster is already really bad and there won't be much expectations to win. The real test will be whether or not he can show player development from their young guys. I personally think he should have been let go at the end of last year, but I guess no point in spending extra money for a coach when you're going to be terrible anyway. I expect him to be as good as gone next year though.

Honorable mentions: Frank Vogel, Nate McMillan, Earl Watson.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much spot on.

But I don't think it's fair to put Vogel on there just yet, even as a honorable. Magic's roster is badly constructed and it's gonna take time for him to clean up after Scott Skiles. God I hate Scott Skiles.

Earl Watson may be worse than what Sam Mitchell was. He annoys me more I tell you that. Don't know how he's still employed.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much spot on.

But I don't think it's fair to put Vogel on there just yet, even as a honorable. Magic's roster is badly constructed and it's gonna take time for him to clean up after Scott Skiles. God I hate Scott Skiles.

Earl Watson may be worse than what Sam Mitchell was. He annoys me more I tell you that. Don't know how he's still employed.

I would agree, but Vogel I think could be on the hot seat because I don't think the Magic or any of their young players really showed any development last year. Aaron Gordon might have been the only one, but he got little to no improvement from anyone else. The Magic's roster is bad, but if he's not able to show that he's able to get more out of those guys, they could go in another direction.

Also agree on Watson. The Suns have so much youth on their roster, so it might help to still retain Watson as a former player who can help them navigate the ropes. From a coaching aspect though I agree. He's not good at all.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree, but Vogel I think could be on the hot seat because I don't think the Magic or any of their young players really showed any development last year. Aaron Gordon might have been the only one, but he got little to no improvement from anyone else. The Magic's roster is bad, but if he's not able to show that he's able to get more out of those guys, they could go in another direction.

Also agree on Watson. The Suns have so much youth on their roster, so it might help to still retain Watson as a former player who can help them navigate the ropes. From a coaching aspect though I agree. He's not good at all.

I agree about the development. It seems like every year Elfrid Payton starts off garbage, a point guard committee starts, then he balls out towards the end of the season. I'm not really a fan of the kid. I tried to be, but I think they need to draft a franchise point guard next year.

Watson is buddy-buddy with Chandler. Lol no way Tyson Chandler should be getting any minutes. Even at the expense of Alex Len because he's not that good either. Dragan Bender needs those minutes.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the development. It seems like every year Elfrid Payton starts off garbage, a point guard committee starts, then he balls out towards the end of the season. I'm not really a fan of the kid. I tried to be, but I think they need to draft a franchise point guard next year.

Watson is buddy-buddy with Chandler. Lol no way Tyson Chandler should be getting any minutes. Even at the expense of Alex Len because he's not that good either. Dragan Bender needs those minutes.

Yeah not sold on Payton either. I thought Fournier and Herzonja didn't get any better either last year.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoiberg should be gone by now. From what I've seen from friends of mine, and others on social media, Bulls fans want his head.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait. I just realized that no coach got fired this past season. That's such a rarity nowadays.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with the OP. Gentry is #1.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he has a chance of getting fired, but to me it should be a make or break year for VanGundy. Yes, he took over a coaching carousel dumpster fire that was the Pistons and has stabilized them. But his players are still under performing and not developing. Hopefully he can get his team to show up for the full 48 each game instead of coasting for half the game. If not, time to move on.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not necessarily on the hot seat, but a ton of pressure will follow coaches of teams that made bold off season moves.

Boston, Cleveland, OKC, Minnesota and Houston especially. If any of those teams underachieve, their coach could be on the hot seat heading into next season.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only guy who I think doesn't deserve to be there honestly in Hornacek. That roster is bad outside of KP. Plus, Phil Jackson was always trying to force the triangle down everyone's throats. But, what I think and what reality is are two different things. Solid post @CitySushi

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much spot on.

I saw that as well. Unfortunately though, when it comes to a roster that sucks, it's the coach that suffers first than the GM.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honorable mentions: Frank Vogel, Nate McMillan, Earl Watson.

I certainly hope our organization has the guts to fire McMillan if the Pacers don't have a decent season. Remember, Pritchard has ties to McMillan dating back to their Portland days, which is why he's been given patience to this point.

Unfortunately Nate will most likely be given the ole "he doesn't have Paul George excuse" this season. Still, there shouldn't be any reason for this team not to win at least 35 in this conference.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwayne Casey's probably going to be on the way out if the Raptors don't go far in the playoffs this year. The talent is there with the team but a new coach could be needed,

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only guy who I think doesn't deserve to be there honestly in Hornacek. That roster is bad outside of KP. Plus, Phil Jackson was always trying to force the triangle down everyone's throats. But, what I think and what reality is are two different things. Solid post @CitySushi

Well the part of me that thinks Hornacek could potentially be on the way out is because of his handling of Porzingas. Multiple reports say how he was passive aggressive with KP, also limiting his role and growth. Some have also said Hornacek was the reason KP skipped the exit meeting. You can't alienate your potential franchise player. He's got some work to be done. I think from an x's and o's he's below average though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Doc is on the hot seat just yet. Was listening to a show on the station that broadcasts the Clippers games. They were saying that Ballmer, et al think that Doc is a championship level coach.

They think the problem is that the Clips had a bunch of guys who didn't really get along and weren't very responsive to CP3's "little general" routine. They said that everyone seems to be much happier with Milos (can't say that name without a Russian accent. lol) running the point.

They were saying that Doc probably has at least 2 more years before his seat starts heating up.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Doc is on the hot seat just yet. Was listening to a show on the station that broadcasts the Clippers games. They were saying that Ballmer, et al think that Doc is a championship level coach.

They think the problem is that the Clips had a bunch of guys who didn't really get along and weren't very responsive to CP3's "little general" routine. They said that everyone seems to be much happier with Milos (can't say that name without a Russian accent. lol) running the point.

They were saying that Doc probably has at least 2 more years before his seat starts heating up.

Well I think it's not outside the realm of possibility for the Clips to not make the playoffs this year. If that happens, the team just committed a bunch of money to Blake Griffin and Gallo and they have Jordan coming up for an extension. They might just blow the whole thing up if it looks like they can't be competitive. IMO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think it's not outside the realm of possibility for the Clips to not make the playoffs this year. If that happens, the team just committed a bunch of money to Blake Griffin and Gallo and they have Jordan coming up for an extension. They might just blow the whole thing up if it looks like they can't be competitive. IMO.

They may. It's the Clips, so who knows? :noidea:

I just know what they were saying yesterday re: Doc's situation. They were also saying that it's a different feel with Milos. Said that guys, especially DJ, were smiling on the court. Something that never happened with CP3.

It's the NBA of course and all about "What have you done for me lately?" So, it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to blow it up if they miss the playoffs or have another early exit.

Ballmer has been pretty patient so far, so it would seem that he'd give Doc another couple of seasons. But then, I'd think his patience may be starting to wear a bit by now too. Doesn't seem like a guy who got into this for a bunch of early playoff exits.

Lol @this post. Sounds like I'm taking both sides at the same time. But that's the Clips. Which part of why I find them practically unwatchable. lol

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he has 6 months.................

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has 6 months.................

You may be right.

Imo, he shouldn't even have that. He should be gone already. I'm just saying what I heard on the Clippers station. I wish I could remember who the reporter was. I want to say it was Woj because he was interviewed during the time I was listening, but I can't honestly say it was.

Plus, I have so much respect for Woj, I think I'd probably remember if it was him.