• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 cities for NHL expansion

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5. Houston, Texas

3p2WxqS.gif

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i have to agree with this one. that doesnt make sense Hell Dallas barely is surviving now with their attendance. #1 and #2 should be Quebec City and Seattle with Kansas City 3 and Portland a distant 4.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. No one in Houston would support the team. Hell, we just lost our to AHL team to Des Moines.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas is ok

i have to agree with this one. that doesnt make sense Hell Dallas barely is surviving now with their attendance. #1 and #2 should be Quebec City and Seattle with Kansas City 3 and Portland a distant 4.

no Dallas is stable they just cant put out huge market contracts

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC had a pro team years ago ....the scouts and they folded. KC is not a market for professional hockey unless there is a ton of participation in the lower tiers of play

Seattle and Quebec City are the current top markets in my opinion and the seals should be a name for any team in professional sports!

So you're saying that any city that had a team and lost them should never have a team again?

Got it. No more Avalanche. No more Wild. No more Jets. May as well get rid of the Sharks right away too (San Jose is close enough to SF/Oakland).

Where do we draw the line timewise? Senators gone? Penguins? Flyers? Blues?

I guess we can go ahead and take Quebec City off the potential expansion/relocation list too.

It was nearly 40 years ago that the Scouts formed in KC. KC may not be the best option out there, but the simple fact that they had and lost a team in the past shouldn't disqualify them.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it should read the seals should not be a name for any team in professional sports

and on the KC issue that is not what I said.....if there isnt any participation of hockey (on a large scale).....like I said, lower levels of play in the KC metro area, there wont be a fan base to support the team

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. No one in Houston would support the team. Hell, we just lost our to AHL team to Des Moines.

I didn't know that. Most of my support for potential expansion there was based on what I thought was huge support for the Aeros.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NHL is in love with total market size, they don't necessarily how good of a hockey market it is, just how big of a TV market it is.

Did they move due to attendance? A lot of times NHL teams move their affiliates just to get them closer... Des Moines is a lot closer to Minny than Houston is.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC should be in the top 5 but not sure about #1. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago when the venue was brand new it could have been #1. The novelty of the arena alone would have drawn people that otherwise wouldn't be interested in hockey and the game itself would have kept some of those people coming back. Although it doesn't have a major tenant, I would have to believe that the novelty of that venue has cooled off quite a bit since 2006 (or whenever it opened).

Houston? Not sure about that one but I like it better than Vegas. They lost their AHL team but do you suppose that could have been because Houston considers itself a big league city and isn't interested in supporting a minor league team? (In addition to the proximity thing that's been mentioned) I don't really follow the CFL so the situation could have changed but last I heard Toronto struggles with attendance for the Argonauts yet there is talk of them getting an NFL team.

Personally I'd like to see Milwaukee on the list as well. A team anywhere in Wisconsin likely opens up the possibility of a Winter Classic game at Lambeau. I can't help but think that Bettman and the networks would be in love with that idea.

I'm pleasantly surprised that a 2nd team in the Toronto area was not mentioned.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska could support an NHL team. I guarantee it.

The fan support would be better than all of those suggested cities.