• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Prospects by position

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Series on mlb.com

So fa they have done RHPs, LHPs, SS and 3B with catchers coming today

So far

None in the top RHPs (Neil Ramirez would probably be closest to cracking it)

Martin Perez checks in at #6 on the LHPs

Profar at #2 for shortstops, behind Manny Machado of Baltimore

Olt at #4 for 3B

And based on the videos posted in anticipation of the actual article Jorge Alfaro will crack the top 10 of catchers, which surprises me as he's been mostly under the radar so far but now it seems he's getting some recognition

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't seem to find the videos on the site.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I wasn't even aware of Alfaro.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 3/8/11

C - R/R
6-2 - 185 - 6/11/93
Sincelejo, Colombia

Jorge Alfaro was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Texas Rangers in Jan. 2010, out of Sincelejo, Colombia. Alfaro was a 16-year-old when he signed.

Alfaro spent 2010 in the Domincan Summer League, starting the year as a 16-year-old and finishing up as a 17-year-old.

Alfaro hit .221 in 48 games with one homerun and 23 RBIs.

Jamey Newberg’s profile on Jorge Alfaro:
Jorge Alfaro, C

Much was made of the Rangers' relative inactivity internationally last summer, but those who ascribed it to the organization's financial handcuffs overlooked two factors: (1) Texas believed last year's July 2 crop was weaker than any in years; and (2) the club had already made a major splash six months earlier, when it paid a reported $1.3 million signing bonus to bring the 16-year-old Alfaro into the fold from Colombia. Blessed with tremendous tools across the board, Alfaro hit just .221/.278/.291 in the Dominican Summer League, but he caught the most innings on a club that went 42-23 on the strength of its pitching (2.02 team ERA, 9.0 strikeouts and 2.9 walks per nine innings) and gunned down 32 percent of would-be basestealers, the best mark of the five catchers on the squad. Alfaro is a physically mature 6'2", 185 and has tremendous raw power, though at his age it may take a few seasons to translate into results.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically Alfaro is a super toolsy athletic catcher, really young and really raw

He's skirted under the radar so far, b/c he's been overseas the last couple years but this was his 1st year stateside and he played at Spokane, hit .300 but only took 4 walks in 45 games over 160 ABs, so plate discipline is one of his major issues

Defensively, very strong arm but error prone 10 errors in those same 45 games

Anyone who's seen me post about prospects in the last couple years knows I've been high on this guy, I've had him in my top 10 Rangers prospects for a while

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Alfaro checked in at #10, about as I expected

So far

Olt at #4 for 3B

Jorge Alfaro in at #10 fo catchers

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Alfaro checked in at #10, about as I expected

So far

Olt at #4 for 3B

Jorge Alfaro in at #10 fo catchers

Looks like none at 1B for the Rangers

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Basically Alfaro is a super toolsy athletic catcher, really young and really raw

He's skirted under the radar so far, b/c he's been overseas the last couple years but this was his 1st year stateside and he played at Spokane, hit .300 but only took 4 walks in 45 games over 160 ABs, so plate discipline is one of his major issues

Defensively, very strong arm but error prone 10 errors in those same 45 games

Anyone who's seen me post about prospects in the last couple years knows I've been high on this guy, I've had him in my top 10 Rangers prospects for a while

Would love to see Alfaro make the AA jump to MLB starting 2013 ... any way to get Yorvit (Cement Feet) Torrealba gone is okay with me. (Assuming Alfaro becomes a little bit pickier at the plate and works on his defensive talents of course ... )

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like none at 1B for the Rangers

With Olt at 3b ... he's about to make the same transition that Teixeira and CD did before him.

I think there is great value in develping just SS and 3B in the minors. SS can play both middle spots and young (not MY ... young) 3B can convert well to 1b. In my opinion Teixeira and Davis were plus plus defensive 1bmen ... due in part to them being both pretty good defensive 3bmen.

MY not so much ... a middle infielder with a marginal arm does not convert well to 3b and Hank Blalock had a cement glove as well so his move across the diamond didn't work out either for the same reason.

Olt may be the next best thing ... even more of an impact than Martin.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Olt at 3b ... he's about to make the same transition that Teixeira and CD did before him.

I think there is great value in develping just SS and 3B in the minors. SS can play both middle spots and young (not MY ... young) 3B can convert well to 1b. In my opinion Teixeira and Davis were plus plus defensive 1bmen ... due in part to them being both pretty good defensive 3bmen.

MY not so much ... a middle infielder with a marginal arm does not convert well to 3b and Hank Blalock had a cement glove as well so his move across the diamond didn't work out either for the same reason.

Olt may be the next best thing ... even more of an impact than Martin.

Yes but hit bat flashes plus at 3B, fairly mediocre at 1B

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just went over to Lone Star Ball and well, apparently Yu Darvish is considered a prospect by Baseball America. They have him listed as the #1 prospect on the Rangers. I'd say with his signing, and if he really is still considered a prospect, then he'd probably be the #1 RHP prospect in baseball.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just went over to Lone Star Ball and well, apparently Yu Darvish is considered a prospect by Baseball America. They have him listed as the #1 prospect on the Rangers. I'd say with his signing, and if he really is still considered a prospect, then he'd probably be the #1 RHP prospect in baseball.

good morning Ginger

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the time the article was written Darvish was not the property of the Rangers

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see Alfaro make the AA jump to MLB starting 2013 ... any way to get Yorvit (Cement Feet) Torrealba gone is okay with me. (Assuming Alfaro becomes a little bit pickier at the plate and works on his defensive talents of course ... )

Missed this before, WMW I'd like to see that as well, but thats a heck of a jump, especially considering all the areas he needs to work, ESPECIALLY pitch recognition

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Minor League Ball

1) Jurickson Profar, SS, Grade A: He does everything except .300, and he might do that someday. His performance was all the more remarkable given how young he is. A truly elite talent.

2) Martin Perez, LHP, Grade B+: I think he's been pushed too quickly, but all the talent to be a number two or three starter is still there.

3) Leonys Martin, OF, Grade B: Should have a long career due to defense and speed, but I'm not confident enough in his bat to stick a "+" on his grade just yet.

4) Mike Olt, 3B, Grade B: Good power, draws walks, very strong defensive player. Main worry here is high strikeout rate but I expect he will adapt.

5) Rougned Odor, 2B, Grade B: You can make a case to rank him as high as number three. He held his own at age 17 against older pitchers in the Northwest League, quite an achievement.

6) Robert Ross, LHP, Grade B: Remained effective after promotion to Double-A, which is a very good sign. Doesn't have as high a ceiling as some other arms in the system, but also has a higher floor. Possible number three or four starter.

7) Neil Ramirez, RHP, Grade B: Held his own in Triple-A until sore shoulder issue sent him back to previously-skipped Double-A level for rehab. A breakout candidate who broke out.

8) Cody Buckel, RHP, Grade B: Can't argue with Low-A results, great feel for pitching, terrific makeup, excellent statistics. Mid-rotation projection.

9) Roman Mendez, RHP, Grade B: Seems like he deserves more attention than he gets. Owns plus stuff and showed considerably better command this year. Mid-rotation projection.

10) Christian Villanueva, 3B, Grade B-: Signee out of Mexico plays above his tools but does it very well, produces power and speed, sharp defensive skills at third base. Will have to see if plate discipline holds up.

11) Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Grade B-: Health and command remain issues, but even a small improvement would get him to the majors quickly.

12) Justin Grimm, RHP, Grade B-: Made progress with secondary pitches and command, could be mid-rotation starter or power relief arm.

13) Will Lamb, LHP, Grade B-: Clemson product making transition to the mound full-time after spending most of college in the outfield. Three potential plus pitches but needs innings to refine them.

14) Jacob Skole, OF, Grade B-: First round pick from 2010 has tools but skills are still raw, had mediocre season in Low-A. Draws walks but strikes out too much.

15) Jorge Alfaro, C, Grade C+: Scouting reports and word-of-mouth are glowing, praising offensive and defensive potential. Somehow he hit .300 with power in the Northwest League despite appalling plate discipline, and he needs a lot of polish on defense. Very young, high-ceiling, high-risk. I can't give a higher grade to a guy with a 4/54 BB/K no matter what the scouting reports say.

16) Kevin Matthews, LHP, Grade C+: Undersized lefty from 2011 draft seems similar to Robert Ross and now-traded Robert Erlin.

17) Ronald Guzman, OF, Grade C+: Another bonus baby from the Dominican, earned $3,500,000. Like Mazara, Guzman has enormous potential and his tools seem more balanced according to non-Ranger sources, but we have to wait and see.

18) Nomar Mazara, OF, Grade C+: Earned $5,000,000 bonus out of the Dominican due to his power potential. Most teams think this was too much money since his other tools are just so-so, and not everyone buys that his swing will work, but the Rangers believe. Impossible to grade properly until we get some data to see who is right.

19) Luke Jackson, RHP, Grade C+: One of my favorite high school pitchers from 2011 draft, but struggled with his command in the Sally League. Give him more time.

20) Odubel Herrera, 2B, Grade C+: Fast, makes contact, young, solid glove, but league observers worry that impatience and lack of power will hinder him at higher levels.

21) Luis Sardinas, SS, Grade C+: Got just as much press as Profar when he signed, but hampered by injuries and barely played. High ceiling with defense and speed.

22) Justin Miller, RHP, Grade C+: Sleeper relief prospect, throws in mid-90s, looked very sharp in the Texas League.

23) Matt West, RHP, Grade C+: Former third baseman converted to mound with stunning results: 35/1 K/BB with a 94 MPH fastball. Could move fast as relief option if he maintains that.

24) Miguel De Los Santos, LHP, Grade C+: Erratic, but still putting up insanely good strikeout numbers.

25) Barret Loux, RHP, Grade C+: Could rank higher but health concerns remain significant. Possible number three starter if his arm remains attached.

OTHERS: Jordan Akins, OF; Engel Beltre, OF; Jacob Brigham, RHP; Yefry Castillo, C; Zach Cone, OF; Kellin Deglan, C; Abel De Los Santos, RHP; Wilmer Font, RHP; Leury Garcia, SS; Kyle Hendricks, RHP; Mike Kirkman, LHP; Luis Marte, SS; Tommy Mendonca, 3B; David Perez, RHP; Jimmy Reyes, LHP; Tomas Telis, C; Nick Tepesch, RHP; Johan Yan, RHP.