• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Lavar Ball Super Thread

Who wins? Lavar or Jordan

• Ball

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Jordan

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • I had potato salad yesterday that my mommy made and it was awesome.

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not true at all. Kobe would have been fine going to the Knicks, Lakers, Sixers, and most big market teams.
Actually, it is true.

The Hornets drafted Kobe No. 13 overall in the 1996 NBA draft and traded him three weeks later for Vlade Divac. The trade was supposedly worked out before the draft, but how did Kobe and the Lakers ensure that no team in the first 12 spots would take the high schooler? The answer is they manipulated the situation.

I recently watched Showtime’s “Kobe Bryant’s Muse” as well as ESPN’s 30 for 30 “Sole Man” about shoe legend Sonny Vaccaro, and both touched on how Kobe became a Laker.

In the Showtime film, Bryant reveals that the Lakers were his favorite team growing up. He wanted to play for them and be their next star. In “Sole Man,” Vaccaro, who signed Bryant to an endorsement deal with Adidas and was instrumental in Kobe’s jump to the pros, acknowledges that they wanted Kobe to play for the Lakers. He says they even created a rumor that Kobe would go play pro ball in Italy to dissuade teams from drafting him.

Case in point: West confirmed that Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, warned the former New Jersey Nets that Bryant did not want to play for them. The Nets used their No. 8 pick on Kerry Kittles. West also reported that Bryant’s parents told several teams he did not want to play near his Philadelphia hometown

Jerry West, Kobe Bryant fondly recall his pre-draft workout with LA Lakers

How Kobe Bryant manipulated his way to Lakers on draft day

Kobe Bryant and the draft day trade that changed NBA history

NBA Draft Flashback: How did so many teams pass on Kobe Bryant?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it is true.

The Hornets drafted Kobe No. 13 overall in the 1996 NBA draft and traded him three weeks later for Vlade Divac. The trade was supposedly worked out before the draft, but how did Kobe and the Lakers ensure that no team in the first 12 spots would take the high schooler? The answer is they manipulated the situation.

I recently watched Showtime’s “Kobe Bryant’s Muse” as well as ESPN’s 30 for 30 “Sole Man” about shoe legend Sonny Vaccaro, and both touched on how Kobe became a Laker.

In the Showtime film, Bryant reveals that the Lakers were his favorite team growing up. He wanted to play for them and be their next star. In “Sole Man,” Vaccaro, who signed Bryant to an endorsement deal with Adidas and was instrumental in Kobe’s jump to the pros, acknowledges that they wanted Kobe to play for the Lakers. He says they even created a rumor that Kobe would go play pro ball in Italy to dissuade teams from drafting him.

Case in point: West confirmed that Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, warned the former New Jersey Nets that Bryant did not want to play for them. The Nets used their No. 8 pick on Kerry Kittles. West also reported that Bryant’s parents told several teams he did not want to play near his Philadelphia hometown

Jerry West, Kobe Bryant fondly recall his pre-draft workout with LA Lakers

How Kobe Bryant manipulated his way to Lakers on draft day

Kobe Bryant and the draft day trade that changed NBA history

NBA Draft Flashback: How did so many teams pass on Kobe Bryant?
I remember the Sixers being all in on AI. Which I think was a great pick, he ended up in the HoF, but so will Kobe. I do not remember his family saying they did not want him near his hometown. That could be revisionist history because everyone knew who the Sixers were taking.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the Sixers being all in on AI. Which I think was a great pick, he ended up in the HoF, but so will Kobe. I do not remember his family saying they did not want him near his hometown. That could be revisionist history because everyone knew who the Sixers were taking.

Agree on Iverson. But, the post you quoted was still correct and you were wrong.

Just because you don't remember it doesn't make it false.

I mean, all those articles, Jerry West, Kobe and Sonny Viccaro remembered it wrong?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Iverson. But, the post you quoted was still correct and you were wrong.

Just because you don't remember it doesn't make it false.

I mean, all those articles, Jerry West, Kobe and Sonny Viccaro remembered it wrong?
My whole point was that it would be ironic if Lonzo ended up in Philly and became a generational (one of the all time greats) like Kobe did in LA.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My whole point was that it would be ironic if Lonzo ended up in Philly and became a generational (one of the all time greats) like Kobe did in LA.
Ok...cool....fair enough.

Would be ironic.

I don't scroll back through the threads.

So, I only saw the post were you disputed that he was singularly focused on the Lakers.

It didn't start out that way. But, once he found out it was a possibility, it was over for everyone including Philly.

In a 2007 New York Times article, this quote from Tellem surfaced about Kobe in Charlotte:

“That is an impossibility,” Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, said at the time. “There are no ifs. It would not happen. He is going to be a Laker, and that’s the only team he’s playing for.”

“I learned about the possibility, just the possibility, of him going to Los Angeles.,” Tellem said. “Once I knew that, we wanted to make it happen.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually most will dislike lonzo imo as they probably think lavar getting these things from him

They would if they hadn't already got to know him - practically everyone has given Lonzo Ball some praise or more for his work ethics, and skills. The players and the coaches around the league have called him a talented young man who is very humble and polite. As long as He stays out of that he will be fine.

For the record: Balls venue in the newsmedia with his tv show and etc is dependent on the Lakers generosity as he is using their equipment per ESPN today - In short, the Lakers could yank all of his rights to film and use their equipment and etc and leave him with nothing if he doesn't agree to dial it down. They have already asked him twice to stop and he agreed to their requests and then went out on his own. If he doesn't, then he could be excommunicated. In addition Rick Carlise, head coach of the Mavericks and president of the coaches association in the NBA has come to Luke Walton's defense and has placed some pressure on ESPN to discontinue covering him or face some questions concerning their relationship in the NBA.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is pure fantasy - the Lakers can handle LaVar the asshole and will deal with him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually most will dislike lonzo imo as they probably think lavar getting these things from him

Maybe. As of now, no one seems to be blaming Lonzo or even suggesting that any of this is coming from Lonzo.

Having said that, unless Lavar somehow shuts up, I think Lonzo may have to eventually start distancing himself from his fathers comments or people will start to wonder if Lavar is acting as Lonzo's spokesperson.