• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial all things Texas Longhorns related thread

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

Part of me hopes so. I've been saying this all along - He's really only had 1 bad season. Our team got gutted, and we missed badly on the Garrett Gilbert experiment. Last year's 9-4 record plus a bowl win is not "bad."

Obviously we cannot (and I don't think we will) lose to Oklahoma this year. A bad loss in the RRR would be the knife in Mack's back. Outside of that - I don't see him leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting propaganda my guess is he has had to explain how long he will be at Texas with every recruit he has visited and this is a way to solve that problem. Hell what coach wasn't given an extension then canned?

Mac won't be fired but he will either be promoted or retired before too much longer.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mac. Glad to see him stay at t.u.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a proven good manager. He just needs to put together another effective coaching staff and they'll be back in the race.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll "retire" but I highly doubt he'll ever be fired. At least not by Deloss Dodds.

Now if Texas brings in a new AD......all bets are off. At this point Texas needs new coaches in all three of the major sports - football, basketball, and baseball. Dodds isn't going to fire any of them most likely.

And no, Mack is NOT going to be the next AD.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

Part of me hopes so. I've been saying this all along - He's really only had 1 bad season. Our team got gutted, and we missed badly on the Garrett Gilbert experiment. Last year's 9-4 record plus a bowl win is not "bad."

Obviously we cannot (and I don't think we will) lose to Oklahoma this year. A bad loss in the RRR would be the knife in Mack's back. Outside of that - I don't see him leaving.

That is surprising considering an 11-16 conference record over the last 3 years. And 0-3 vs Oky in that span.

For a Texas fan I would say that is far below expectations and should be considered a bad 3 year run.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is surprising considering an 11-16 conference record over the last 3 years. And 0-3 vs Oky in that span.

For a Texas fan I would say that is far below expectations and should be considered a bad 3 year run.

It is. But SOME of us remember the ten years prior to Mack showing up here. Not pretty.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he stays forever.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is. But SOME of us remember the ten years prior to Mack showing up here. Not pretty.
-
I think everyone appreciates what Mack has done. It does not have to be one or the other. You can have appreciation and respect for a man and also realize his effectiveness maybe coming to an end. I know that doesnt fit in a black and white internet world, but I think that sums up most Texas fans.

Doesnt matter, because I think this season is where the rubber meets the road. I hope he surprises everyone and regains his success.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Mack gets recruits, has an excellent relationship with Texas H.S. coaches that is not easily replaced;
2) Mack wins his bowl games;
3) Mack took our program from a decade of mediocrity to a national powerhouse again;
4) Mack won 2 consecutive Rose Bowls, including a Natty, played for another - and all that was not too long ago.
5) Mack treats his players well and runs a clean program.

No doubt, imo, he gets this year and next year. If we are not beating OU and contending at that point I would be willing to throw in the towel. But I'm not so unrealistic as to think we should never have a bad year or two when we miss on a draft class and coaches are leaving right and left.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Mack gets recruits, has an excellent relationship with Texas H.S. coaches that is not easily replaced;
2) Mack wins his bowl games;
3) Mack took our program from a decade of mediocrity to a national powerhouse again;
4) Mack won 2 consecutive Rose Bowls, including a Natty, played for another - and all that was not too long ago.
5) Mack treats his players well and runs a clean program.

No doubt, imo, he gets this year and next year. If we are not beating OU and contending at that point I would be willing to throw in the towel. But I'm not so unrealistic as to think we should never have a bad year or two when we miss on a draft class and coaches are leaving right and left.

All that is nice, but at what point do you guys separate past accomplishments and look at what he's doing now? Your recruiting has still been fantastic, but you've been bad the last few years. I'll say bad because by your standards, it's bad. There are no more excuses this year for you guys. If you don't make a BCS bowl, how can you still sit by and let the guy get by on past accomplishments? The coach's job isn't to win 8 years ago, it's to win now, and he isn't doing it despite having some of the best talent in the nation.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His name might as well be David McWilliams or John Mackovic at this point.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing for Mack Brown right now is to beat Oklahoma. Beat OU by 1 or 40. Just beat them. If they do, the Horns will be so friggin' happy everything else will be secondary. Everybody will kiss and make up then start acting like none of the difficult stuff over the past 2-3 years was that important. Beat OU and the rest takes care of itself. If he doesn't, the howling will reach a crescendo.....especially if it's another beat down. My money is on UT winning this year unless by some miracle OU catches fire with a new QB and a defense that suddenly has a pulse.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack has beaten Oklahoma 6 out of 16 trys.
It's not his strong suit.

He's gone after this year.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The responses are making me smile. Only one got it right, it's recruiting propaganda.