• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toddd Gurley "We're going to get a win this week, for sure"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were talking about this very thing during the game. You have to have the personnel to run the scheme. It's a very vanilla D. No exotic blitz packages. Have to get pressure with your front 4.

<shrug>

It still baffles me how many coaches get so stuck in their scheme that they ignore what type of talent they have or lack of talent. They just expect that they can plug a player into their system and that player will produce. And if the player doesn't produce the problem is in the player not the coach. To me most players in this league are honestly scheme specific. I can't expect Peyton Manning to go out and run a zone option/read system. That doesn't mean that he was a terrible QB for his career because he couldn't run that system just that you better put him in a system that he can actually be successful in.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still baffles me how many coaches get so stuck in their scheme that they ignore what type of talent they have or lack of talent. They just expect that they can plug a player into their system and that player will produce. And if the player doesn't produce the problem is in the player not the coach. To me most players in this league are honestly scheme specific. I can't expect Peyton Manning to go out and run a zone option/read system. That doesn't mean that he was a terrible QB for his career because he couldn't run that system just that you better put him in a system that he can actually be successful in.

The biggest factor in '13 (imo) was the fresh rotation of D-linemen that Seattle could rotate in. I think they've got the POTENTIAL to be that again, with the rookie Reed, and young guys like Frank Clark and Cassius Marsh, but that potential hasn't proved out YET this year. It still could. Or may not. The league is full of guys with a shvt ton of potential that never quite put it together.

I don't think it's fair to say either that Seattle has been totally unwilling to bend. They've sent Bobby Wagner very effectively on the blitz in the first two games, (which is rare), but just have the 1 and 1 record to show for it.

I put most of that on the O line.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest factor in '13 (imo) was the fresh rotation of D-linemen that Seattle could rotate in. I think they've got the POTENTIAL to be that again, with the rookie Reed, and young guys like Frank Clark and Cassius Marsh, but that potential hasn't proved out YET this year. It still could. Or may not. The league is full of guys with a shvt ton of potential that never quite put it together.

I don't think it's fair to say either that Seattle has been totally unwilling to bend. They've sent Bobby Wagner very effectively on the blitz in the first two games, (which is rare), but just have the 1 and 1 record to show for it.

I put most of that on the O line.

Wasn't meaning for it to sound like I didn't think the Seahawks could bend. They have designed an incredible defense that fits the skill set of their players perfect. Heck they scout players with the idea of what type of scheme they like to run. So it goes beyond just looking for talent for them. Too many teams look though for talent and ignore how well this player might fit within a certain scheme.

And that is what I see from these other teams trying to run the same scheme as the Seahawks is they just think the scheme is all that is needed to have success. A great example is that of the Raiders. I said this quite a few times this off season. Sean Smith is a press-man Corner. And honestly in that style he is one of the best in the league. Right now the Raiders have him playing off-man where he is 15 yards off the LOS and hasn't been getting any safety help over the top. He just doesn't have the hip turn and short area quickness to make that work. So he has been getting burned and looking like one of the worst Corners in the game. The coaches in my opinion set him up to fail.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't meaning for it to sound like I didn't think the Seahawks could bend. They have designed an incredible defense that fits the skill set of their players perfect. Heck they scout players with the idea of what type of scheme they like to run. So it goes beyond just looking for talent for them. Too many teams look though for talent and ignore how well this player might fit within a certain scheme.

And that is what I see from these other teams trying to run the same scheme as the Seahawks is they just think the scheme is all that is needed to have success. A great example is that of the Raiders. I said this quite a few times this off season. Sean Smith is a press-man Corner. And honestly in that style he is one of the best in the league. Right now the Raiders have him playing off-man where he is 15 yards off the LOS and hasn't been getting any safety help over the top. He just doesn't have the hip turn and short area quickness to make that work. So he has been getting burned and looking like one of the worst Corners in the game. The coaches in my opinion set him up to fail.

Got ya. Sure, there's no shortage of that kind of thinking in the league. Seattle falls for it too. See: Williams, Cary.

I figure that was partly just who was available at the time though.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has nothing to do with this subject other than it being Seattle related...Have teams figured out the Seattle defense? Now given yes the Seahawks only gave up 9 points and have still been an elite unit but is that more talent based than defensive scheme based? The Seattle coaches that have left and used a very similar scheme elsewhere have been giving up points like they are going out of style.

Raiders have given up the most yards for the first two games of a season in over 60 years. Jaguars got blown out. Falcons played the Raiders but that defense didn't exactly do a whole lot to stop the Raiders.
No, but Seattle has had a very difficult time finding the complementary corner to Sherman and at times have been burned because of that failure. And at times teams have been able to exploit certain weakness like pretty much any top end TE going up against Kam in coverage.

It's more about the personnel than the scheme itself and it's about the adjustments play to play with those pieces they have. Take Sherman out, take Thomas out, and you don't have the same defense at all. Still a solid front 7, but an average defense. Those other teams don't have a Sherman and Thomas either.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Seahawks shit the bed in 16 will the 12s fill Key Arena for the Sonics games?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but Seattle has had a very difficult time finding the complementary corner to Sherman and at times have been burned because of that failure. And at times teams have been able to exploit certain weakness like pretty much any top end TE going up against Kam in coverage.

It's more about the personnel than the scheme itself and it's about the adjustments play to play with those pieces they have. Take Sherman out, take Thomas out, and you don't have the same defense at all. Still a solid front 7, but an average defense. Those other teams don't have a Sherman and Thomas either.

You can only pay so many guys. Seattle will have to continue to find guys in the draft to replace the expensive pieces that will leave each year (many of whom Seattle will be right to let go, as they will get overpaid due to the accomplishments of the defense as a whole). When everyone is young and cheap, teams can be dominant. Tough to maintain that through big paydays.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and assume shit not said if that makes you feel better. Call a hold on Sherman if he does it, but call it on both evenly. I really don't care if they are tight on calls or allow more contact, but hold both teams to the same standard in that game. That didn't happen here. I've never seen Pete Carroll as animated as he was late in that game with those shitty calls and I've been watching him since he was with USC. It takes a LOT to rile him up. That was a horribly officiated game with those inconsistencies.

And again since people (not you) can't seem to square talking about the frustration with the refs without that automatically meaning you are blaming the loss on that alone, that's not what people are saying. Seahawks clearly shot themselves in the foot way too many times and didn't do enough to win. It's just sad when you don't come away from a close game with the play on the field being the dominate focus of that game. Way too many NFL games are sullied by the officials.

I was with you until the Pete Carroll comment. He gets riled up about ANY call against his team. Good old Petulant Pete.

He also apparently envies the Patriots' reputation for cheating. Seattle just got docked a 5th rounder in next year's draft for excessive contact in OTAs.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was with you until the Pete Carroll comment. He gets riled up about ANY call against his team. Good old Petulant Pete.

He also apparently envies the Patriots' reputation for cheating. Seattle just got docked a 5th rounder in next year's draft for excessive contact in OTAs.
Not the first one they've had for the same thing. Not sure how many more they need before they stop with the contact in OTA's, but it seems more than one is the correct answer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the first one they've had for the same thing. Not sure how many more they need before they stop with the contact in OTA's, but it seems more than one is the correct answer.

They lost a week of OTAs as well, so maybe that will help limit that contact lol.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gurley might have not played his best game but even more importantly he has his teams' back and he has confidence in his teammates which says a lot about his attitude. The Rams aren't that good and will probably have a bad year IMO but to have one of your future star players with this attitude is something to really look forward to in the future.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They lost a week of OTAs as well, so maybe that will help limit that contact lol.
Same thing happened last time I think. It was '14 they got caught and lost a week in '15 I believe, now are back doing whatever was wrong again. As I recall though, it was something pretty minor. It wasn't everyone in full pads or something, but they still should know better and keep messing that up.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing happened last time I think. It was '14 they got caught and lost a week in '15 I believe, now are back doing whatever was wrong again. As I recall though, it was something pretty minor. It wasn't everyone in full pads or something, but they still should know better and keep messing that up.

Well, to be fair it's not like they are "messing it up" like it's an accident. He's pushing the rules a la Belichik.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to be fair it's not like they are "messing it up" like it's an accident. He's pushing the rules a la Belichik.
As I recall, they were running some kind of drill and two players accidentally collided or some such nonsense. That's what they called illegal contact. The drill wasn't designed to get around anything, but they should still know better given it already happened once before. So no, it's not cheating and it was an accident. Every team runs drills in OTA's. That's what OTA's are for. You just have to be careful that two guys can't run into each other while running them it seems.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just talked to him through Oda Mae Brown, he said no problem, it's the least he could do.

If you believe that, Donald has a stretch of wall to sell you.