• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To ban defensive shifts?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think shifts actually do a better job at limiting power than average, statistically.

Basically it's telling power guys, hey, we'll give you the single, but you're more likely to hit into an out if you try to hit the ball harder. I know the Pirates' goal in shifting is actually to reduce extra base hits, not singles.

It seems a little counter-intuitive given the types of batted balls the shift turns into outs, but if you go into it a bit deeper (and really examine the numbers), the largest effect might actually be on doubles, just by getting into the hitters' heads a bit.

Which is why the greats have always said they completely ignored defensive positioning when they were at bat. McCovey, specifically, said he never adjusted his strategy. He figure that that was his strength, he could STILL beat the other team, no matter the defensive configuration.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why the greats have always said they completely ignored defensive positioning when they were at bat. McCovey, specifically, said he never adjusted his strategy. He figure that that was his strength, he could STILL beat the other team, no matter the defensive configuration.

Yup, and that's the balance the hitter must strike. Do they do what they do consistently well, or do they just try to get on?

Situation dictates the strategy, too, of course. If you just need a baserunner, take the hit. If you can win the game with an extra-base knock, go for it. Things like that.

To me, this is why shifting is great. It adds that extra dimension to the hitter's side of the chess match.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, and that's the balance the hitter must strike. Do they do what they do consistently well, or do they just try to get on?

Situation dictates the strategy, too, of course. If you just need a baserunner, take the hit. If you can win the game with an extra-base knock, go for it. Things like that.

To me, this is why shifting is great. It adds that extra dimension to the hitter's side of the chess match.

Yup. The less jumbled you make the rule book, the more genius shines on the canvass. Let the players and managers act and react, and the game will continue to fascinate and amaze.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think shifts actually do a better job at limiting power than average, statistically.

Basically it's telling power guys, hey, we'll give you the single, but you're more likely to hit into an out if you try to hit the ball harder. I know the Pirates' goal in shifting is actually to reduce extra base hits, not singles.

It seems a little counter-intuitive given the types of batted balls the shift turns into outs, but if you go into it a bit deeper (and really examine the numbers), the largest effect might actually be on doubles, just by getting into the hitters' heads a bit.

Agreed, we see plenty of quotes from the manager who shifted the most, Bo Porter of the Astros, on the topic as well; and it pretty much echoes what you describe with the Pirates. Personally I would probably not change anything as a hitter unless it's of a rather extreme pull nature as that is where I think the average drop in addition to the power starts to occur if it does happen. This idea the banning of the shift had a significant effect as a whole seems really dubious for me.

I tend to agree with you that the shift adds a lot more to the game than it takes away. Good entertainment for me to see if the hitter can beat the shift.