• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Titans Get Good Grades From Many Publications & Writers

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee Titans
1 (8). Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

2 (33). Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

2 (43). Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

2 (45). Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

3 (64). Kevin Byard, S, Middle Tennessee State

5 (140). Tajae Sharpe, WR, Massachusetts

5 (157). LeShaun Sims, CB, Southern Utah

6 (193). Sebastian Tretola, G, Arkansas

7 (222). Aaron Wallace, LB, UCLA

7 (253). Kalan Reed, CB, Southern Miss

PFF sleeper picks https://www.profootb...2016-nfl-draft/

PFF Ranks Titans Reed Number 1 sleeper pick of draft

1. Kalan Reed, CB, Tennessee Titans
Mr. Irrelevant, the final pick of the entire draft at No. 253 overall, was arguably the biggest steal in the entire draft. The No. 54 player on our big board, the Southern Miss cornerback had the third-highest coverage grade among all CBs in this draft class. He allowed just 48.3 percent of the passes thrown into his coverage to be caught, coming away with four interceptions and 14 pass breakups in 2015. He has a real chance to make a big impression in Tennessee, and become one of the most relevant Mr. Irrelevants in recent memory.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Mel Kiper’s draft grades are in, and he gave the Titans a good one:

ESPN Mel Kiper gives Titans A-.

“The Titans not only got a bunch of good football players in this draft, they should have one of the best 2017 draft classes thanks to the premium picks they added when they moved out of the No. 1 slot. That's factored into the grade here,’’ Kiper wrote on ESPN. “As for what they got this year, well, it's quite a bit even if the value was just OK in spots.”

“Jack Conklin is a good player, and will compete to start at left tackle, and perhaps end up at right. Either way, that's a starter at a need spot,’’ per Kiper. “Kevin Dodd helps the pass rush, Derrick Henry gives them running back help (even though you can get good running backs much, much later), Austin Johnson will jump into the mix on the D-line.”

“Tajae Sharpe could compete for time at wide receiver,’’ Kiper wrote. “LeShaun Sims and Kevin Byard could help in the secondary.....

NFL.COM......A

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: B+
Overall grade: A
The skinny: Even after giving up quality picks in the trade up for Conklin, the Titans still made out due to their move down from the top spot. Conklin's a beast who will thrive on the right side of the line, across from Taylor Lewan So they met their need and gained picks ... that's a win. Here's a great Day 2 haul: A powerful Heisman Trophy-winning back, a strong nose tackle, an up-and-coming pass rusher and a safety with great hands for the turnover.

Overall, this was a good haul. Sharpe can win downfield. Tretola the best among their day three guys; just tell him which way the play is going, and he'll plow a hole for Henry to run through. Reed was an underrated player who shouldn't have been Mr. Irrelevant because his talent should have received a higher grade. Wallace actually began to live up to his promise in his senior year, earning that draft spot.

http://www.usatoday....rades/83833336/

USA TODAY Ranking NFL teams' offseasons 1-32

USA TODAY Ranks Titans 3rd best out of 32 teams

3. Tennessee Titans: New GM Jon Robinson traded the draft’s No. 1 pick – a blessing in light of the Laremy Tunsil fiasco that ensued – and wound up with five of the top 64 selections, which were parlayed into potential impact players T Jack Conklin, OLB/DE Kevin Dodd and RB Derrick Henry. Robinson also acquired RB DeMarco Murray for a song during free agency. Could be yet another AFC South club on the fast track to relevance.

NFL FOX SPORTS Ranking And Grading Every Team Draft 1. Tennessee Titans: A+

Maybe my favorite draft class in recent memory. The Titans, knowing they already had a quarterback of the future in their back pocket, leveraged the first overall pick for a haul of others, and then worked back into the top 10 to get a right tackle that they believe can be a starter for the next decade in Jack Conklin. Kevin Dodd dominated the national championship game and had a huge 2015. I like him in the second round, love Austin Johnson in Tennessee's 3-4 base, and thought both Derrick Henry and Kevin Byard fit what Tennessee is building and can make a difference right away. GM Jon Robinson looks like a draft mastermind, and with the haul they got from Los Angeles paying off the next two years, the best could still be yet to come.

Best value pick: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama, 45th overall

http://www.foxsports...ft-class-050216

Last edited:

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial thoughts on the Titans 2016 NFL DRAFT

I think Robinson had a pretty good first draft as new GM. The Mr. Irrelevant pick Kalan Reed i was looking at highlights on youtube and there were quite a few comments from fans of other teams that liked him and thought he should've went much lower. He was the 3rd best in coverage in college football by PFF according to one commenter. How did teams overlook this guy.

Sebastian Tretola
the guard out of Arkansas i love his attitude he basically says he is tough,nasty and gonna go to the final whistle so this sixth rounder for all we know could end up being Warmack's replacement possibly.

Tajae Sharpe the WR out of UMass could end up being a big steal. Robinson said he had his eyes on Sharpe for a good while since he was in Tampa and said he is very dependable can get open and has great hands to catch anything. Robinson seemed happy he was still there on the board. Kevin Byard was very happy to get picked by the Titans and seems like a really talent CB and has a rep as a ball hawk. Saw a few comments where a few Ravens fans months back said they wanted Byard and he reminded them of Reed so i'm very glad the Ravens missed out.

Austin Johnson has potential to be really good. Jack Conklin i wanted so that turned out good i think he will be a long term lineman here and if Taylor Lewan stays healthy i think our line could be really improved.

Didnt know much at all on LB Kevin Dodd but my hope is he becomes a good pass rusher for us and there were numerous fans of other teams wanting him so he seems like he has the potential to be really good.

Finally RB Derrick Henry i'm trying to warm up to this pick but my fear is unless the blocking is good then he will be one of those type of backs that ends up consistently being tackled behind the line of scrimmage. I could see us drafting a fast shifty back so the team would have two different type of backs but i was very puzzled when i first saw the Henry pick. I would love to get Fournette next year but that probably won't happen. With us having other needs i didnt get drafting Henry but i really do hope he turns out to be something special.......

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kalan Reed looked like trash in the game I watched. Just because you rack up great stats against nobody teams doesn't make you a steal. I very much disagree with PFF on that analysis.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial thoughts on the Titans 2016 NFL DRAFT

I think Robinson had a pretty good first draft as new GM. The Mr. Irrelevant pick Kalan Reed i was looking at highlights on youtube and there were quite a few comments from fans of other teams that liked him and thought he should've went much lower. He was the 3rd best in coverage in college football by PFF according to one commenter. How did teams overlook this guy.
What, like 5th to last pick in the entire draft:noidea:

I kid, I kid, I like the Tenn draft, but I would have taken Tunsil...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They spent WAY too much draft capital on Jack Conklin. A 1st, a 3rd, and a 2017 2nd for a right tackle? If you're going to give up that much, at least take Tunsil.

Impossible to argue with that. Taking a RT at #15, much less trading up to #8, is highly questionable. Miami took Tunsil at 13 and zero doubt in my mind Conklin is still on the board at #15.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible to argue with that. Taking a RT at #15, much less trading up to #8, is highly questionable. Miami took Tunsil at 13 and zero doubt in my mind Conklin is still on the board at #15.

Either way, they still had a very good draft. I honestly believe they panic when the Tunsil shit came out, I think they felt like that other teams would get in before them and grab some of the higher rated tackles...

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, they still had a very good draft. I honestly believe they panic when the Tunsil shit came out, I think they felt like that other teams would get in before them and grab some of the higher rated tackles...

You may be onto something there. I never even considered that was a panic move based on the Tunsil debacle.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not this writer. I thought they had one of the worst drafts in the league.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The later rounds picks they did ok (I really like the Byard pick) but most everything else was a waste, especially considering we traded down for so many picks yet we didn't really come away with a lot of upside. They absolutely gave up too much for Conklin. The Bears traded up to #9 and just gave up a 4th rounder to do so. It's a waste. Did they not call other teams to ask for a price? Cleveland fleeced us on that. Either take Tunsil or just stay at 15 if the price is that high. If Conklin isn't there, just take Decker. He can't be that much worse as prospect. I would have preferred Tennessee using at least one of those 2nd rounders on a high upside guy like Myles Jack or Noah Spence. Instead they get Dodd and Johnson, two guys that probably have a low ceiling. Playable, but nothing special. You've got a ton of picks, roll the dice a bit and stop playing it safe. Don't like the Henry pick at all. We just traded for Murray. That's too much invested in the RB position. The team has holes everywhere and you waste a pick on something you don't need. It's a B- draft at best. For all the maneuvering to acquire picks, you'd like to see a little more bang for your buck.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give Conklin himself a B+ grade, but coupled with the trade I'd give it a B- or so. If the Titans had just stayed put and grabbed Conklin (or better yet Tunsil) it'd be an B+ (fills need at RT) for the former or an A+ for Tunsil. Had they grabbed Tunsil with the trade up I would've given them a A- considering Tunsil is the FAR superior prospect.

Rest of the Titans draft I thought went pretty well. I think they should've spent some earlier picks on secondary since outside of the OL that's a TERRIBLE weakness to their team. Passing on Ramsey was the correct move by far though even if they didn't get the haul in picks. Spending #1 overall on a safety/corner... meh. Safety/corners can transform a defense but not the way QBs and guys in the trenches can.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting good grades from the sports writers is usually the kiss of death. What you really need is an "F" grade from Pete Prisco. That's when you know you nailed the draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I probably would not have, but I can't kick them too hard for moving off Tunsil...I do agree Conklin was more knee jerk than panic, but I expect him to start.

The one pick I did not like was Dodd. Like him as a player, but a little surprised Lebeau signed off on him because he's not a prototypical 3-4 DE. With Chris Jones, and Jihad Ward on the board...didn't understand that pick.

Henry...I guess we can debate that one, but I like the pick...let Murray carry the load this yr and give Henry the scraps...in a '17...start phasing out the more expensive player. I was in draft discussion with a guy that felt because they had so many picks, why not risk one on Jaylon Smith and get a DE with the next pick.

Bottomline...if Mariota takes a step forward and the OL meshes...the Titans can be a regular playoff contender as early as '17.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a nice haul. Good idea to work on the lines. That's a bad team.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting good grades from the sports writers is usually the kiss of death. What you really need is an "F" grade from Pete Prisco. That's when you know you nailed the draft.

Good because Prisco hated our draft and thought it was crazy we drafted Conklin in the first and drafted a big physical RB in second round. Prisco hated the Henry pick.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is always fun looking back on old draft grades.

I remember Denver in 2012 got a lot of F's for Osweiller, Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Hillman, and Trevathan.

2011 Seahawks was destroyed as well (Sherman, Smith, Maxwell, Wright, Carpenter Moffitt. Detroit was overall the best (Fairley is the only one still playing).

Reading

"Good Moves: Taking Mike Williams, the best player in the draft, was a great decision. All of the Lions' draft choices were great, especially DE/DT Shaun Cody in round two, CB Stanley Wilson in round three and Bill Swancutt in round six.

Bad Moves: None. It's difficult to find any flaws with Detroit's draft picks."

"Obviously, Charles Rogers will give Joey Harrington a great target for the next decade. Second round pick OLB Boss Bailey was the best linebacker in the draft (Lance Briggs went a round later). Third rounder DE Cory Redding will one day replace Robert Porcher. Fourth rounder RB Artose Pinner gives the Lions more depth at that position. S Terrence Holt in the fifth round could compete for a starting job this year"

Is always fun. Look back at walter footballs draft grades/re-grades... Mel Kiper as well, but it's scary at times how dead on he nails things.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They spent WAY too much draft capital on Jack Conklin. A 1st, a 3rd, and a 2017 2nd for a right tackle? If you're going to give up that much, at least take Tunsil.

Probably true but what was their biggest need?