• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time Warner cable modem/router input

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switched to Time Warner Cable for our internet recently and started off with renting the modem/wireless router combo that they offer. Even though my house isn't very bid at all, we are having major wifi issues in two of the bedrooms upstairs.

I've seen people say that you have to get your own modem and router to improve the wifi reception. Anyone have any recommendations?

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a similar issue with an Arris WiFi modem provided to me by Brighthouse Networks. WiFi coverage was spotty at best, so I opted to purchase a WiFi router of my own. This required me to place the Arris modem into Bridge mode, which essentially disables the Arris modem's WiFi capability, and allows me to use a WiFi router of my choosing, linking the two with an Ethernet cable. There are some good WiFi routers out there that aren't terribly expensive; it all depends on how many wireless devices you think you might have operating in your house, and the size of the house, of course. I'm happy with the changes I made to my setup, and if I ever move or switch Internet providers, I know I've got a good router of my own. I found the instructions for placing the Arris modem into Bridge mode online, but Brighthouse customer service was pretty cool about helping me to make sure the Arris modem was properly configured. Once you connect your own router, you're on your own as far as getting your personal router configured. From what I found in my research, many of them are essentially "plug & play"; easy to setup with basic settings, unless you require advanced settings for specific features.

I hope that helps...

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading on some other forums suggesting that Melman. Seems like the cheapest way to go because routers typically aren't as expensive as modems and/or better combos. But then you're still renting the modem from TWC and don't get to recoup anything there.

A guy I work with told me he had a wifi extender laying around that he wasn't using, so he let me have it. So far it seems to be working OK. Going to see how that helps with our cellular data usage this month.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading on some other forums suggesting that Melman. Seems like the cheapest way to go because routers typically aren't as expensive as modems and/or better combos. But then you're still renting the modem from TWC and don't get to recoup anything there.

A guy I work with told me he had a wifi extender laying around that he wasn't using, so he let me have it. So far it seems to be working OK. Going to see how that helps with our cellular data usage this month.

Cool. I hope the extender continues to work out for you.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switched to Time Warner Cable for our internet recently and started off with renting the modem/wireless router combo that they offer.
No matter what, get your own modem and a separate router. You'll end up paying more in rent in the long run. A good Motorola modem and ASUS wireless router is a better combo.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what, get your own modem and a separate router. You'll end up paying more in rent in the long run. A good Motorola modem and ASUS wireless router is a better combo.

+1 for ASUS routers. They're well-made and have a great web GUI.