• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to give Laimbeer a shot

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the hell it is that Stan Van Gundy is doing with the Pistons as coach certainly isn't working. He, as president, has assembled a decently talented roster that should be able to be at least solidly in the playoff picture. Yet as coach he has failed to both develop the talent he has and keep them motivated/focused for a full 48 minutes a game. To me it is clearly time for a coaching change and I think Laimbeer should be the Pistons guy. He is one of those guys who was moderately successful as a player not for his athletic ability but his knowledge of the game. He has had success as a coach and has ties to the Pistons. He would bring some needed toughness to the team and would you want to go to the bench and face him if you weren't giving your full effort? It is time to give him his shot as the head coach in the NBA. Really, what do the Pistons have to lose.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the hell it is that Stan Van Gundy is doing with the Pistons as coach certainly isn't working. He, as president, has assembled a decently talented roster that should be able to be at least solidly in the playoff picture. Yet as coach he has failed to both develop the talent he has and keep them motivated/focused for a full 48 minutes a game. To me it is clearly time for a coaching change and I think Laimbeer should be the Pistons guy. He is one of those guys who was moderately successful as a player not for his athletic ability but his knowledge of the game. He has had success as a coach and has ties to the Pistons. He would bring some needed toughness to the team and would you want to go to the bench and face him if you weren't giving your full effort? It is time to give him his shot as the head coach in the NBA. Really, what do the Pistons have to lose.

I don't know?

Maybe they are afraid he will kick Blake's ass so bad he sits out the next two seasons?

The Blake trade was worth a shot, but he is one of the most overrated players in the league. I just don't think they are that good. Not enough perimeter skill players to compete with the good teams.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know?

Maybe they are afraid he will kick Blake's ass so bad he sits out the next two seasons?

The Blake trade was worth a shot, but he is one of the most overrated players in the league. I just don't think they are that good. Not enough perimeter skill players to compete with the good teams.
But that is kind of my point, they have guys who should be good perimeter players, but haven't been developed well. Certainly does help that Jackson and Leuer have basically been out all year, but all teams need to be able to deal with injuries.

My take on the Griffin trade is that it was for the name to get butts in the seats. It was pretty much a lateral move with Harris, but more name recognition. It hasn't worked because they are still undercoached. While they may still not be good enough to compete with true contenders, they have enough talent they should be solidly in the East playoffs, not outside looking in.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he does have experience coaching a bunch of bitches, soooooo...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that is kind of my point, they have guys who should be good perimeter players, but haven't been developed well. Certainly does help that Jackson and Leuer have basically been out all year, but all teams need to be able to deal with injuries.

My take on the Griffin trade is that it was for the name to get butts in the seats. It was pretty much a lateral move with Harris, but more name recognition. It hasn't worked because they are still undercoached. While they may still not be good enough to compete with true contenders, they have enough talent they should be solidly in the East playoffs, not outside looking in.

Can't argue with that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't really matter.

This franchise is stuck for years.

Stan Van didn't earn Master of Panic for no reason.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laimbeer? :think:

Ain't he a gurlz coach?:noidea:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good coach. Coaches shouldn't be president/GM though. That goes for any of them, not just SVG. FWIW, that roster outside Drummond/Griffin is horrid. They don't have enough talent. When you're leaning heavily on Reggie Bullock and Ish Smith, you're not going many places. Plenty of good coaches would struggle to get to .500 with that team. Best thing Detroit can do is remove SVG's personnel duties this offseason and let that dude build the team.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good coach. Coaches shouldn't be president/GM though. That goes for any of them, not just SVG. FWIW, that roster outside Drummond/Griffin is horrid. They don't have enough talent. When you're leaning heavily on Reggie Bullock and Ish Smith, you're not going many places. Plenty of good coaches would struggle to get to .500 with that team. Best thing Detroit can do is remove SVG's personnel duties this offseason and let that dude build the team.
I disagree with Van Gundy being a "good coach". He has done nothing to develop any players and is completely inconsistent in usage and strategy. The roster outside of Drummond/Griffin looks horrid because of him: for one Stanley Johnson should not be so bad at this point in his career. Yes, some of that is on Johnson, but a lot is on coaching--he is worse than he was at Arizona. And having Drummond and Griffin should be enough to be in the Eastern playoffs even if the were surrounded by me, you, and trojanfan12.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Van Gundy being a "good coach". He has done nothing to develop any players and is completely inconsistent in usage and strategy. The roster outside of Drummond/Griffin looks horrid because of him: for one Stanley Johnson should not be so bad at this point in his career. Yes, some of that is on Johnson, but a lot is on coaching--he is worse than he was at Arizona. And having Drummond and Griffin should be enough to be in the Eastern playoffs even if the were surrounded by me, you, and trojanfan12.

I disagree.

I don't think the Blake/Drummond pairing is all that formidable. You can't win at any level of basketball in 2018 without quality perimeter/guard play and the Piston guards are arguably the worst in the entire NBA.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

I don't think the Blake/Drummond pairing is all that formidable. You can't win at any level of basketball in 2018 without quality perimeter/guard play and the Piston guards are arguably the worst in the entire NBA.

Again development of players. Johnson should be able to be a good 2 at least. They could start him at 2 and Tolliver at 3 giving them a perimeter threat to go with their bigs. Yet Van Gundy can't develop players, find a consistent lineup, or in any way improve a team. It is time to find a new coach regardless of the level of talent on the Pistons.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course a Pacers fan is happy with Van Gundy coaching the Pistons.

On second thought, go right ahead and hire a 60-year-old guy that's been away from the NBA game for some time.:suds:

For the record, the Timberwolves' record during his brief tenure as assistant coach was rather ugly...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On second thought, go right ahead and hire a 60-year-old guy that's been away from the NBA game for some time.:suds:

For the record, the Timberwolves' record during his brief tenure as assistant coach was rather ugly...

I believe their roster was rather ugly too.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe their roster was rather ugly too.

They actually have a lot of talent, just too many changing parts. A full season and training camp will do them good.

@logic Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be in the Pistons' best interest to lose the rest of the season? As much as I hate the concept of tanking, doesn't their pick go to the Clippers if it falls out of a certain spot in the lottery?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually have a lot of talent, just too many changing parts. A full season and training camp will do them good.

@logic Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be in the Pistons' best interest to lose the rest of the season? As much as I hate the concept of tanking, doesn't their pick go to the Clippers if it falls out of a certain spot in the lottery?
The pick is only top 4 protected and with where they are at tanking ain't going to do much for them. But that is also posing it like it is a choice: right now with how they are playing they have about as good a shot at winning any game as the Washington Generals.