• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time for nfl to mandate field turf!

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all remember the playoff game at washington two yrs ago. The field last night was a mess, adb was quoted saying he cant wait to leave that slop... IF the nfl is wanting safety....,,.,,,

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it raining? I didn't watch the game, I thought Mile High was one of the nicer stadiums.

They had the lightning delay and they said there were thunderstorms throughout the day so I'd imagine that the turf got a fair bit of rain. I wouldn't expect Denver's turf to be like that for most of the season. It's the natural fields primarily on the east coast that get a lot of rain in the fall/winter that get really chewed up, i.e. Washington. I'm really glad the Seahawks game there this year is early before the turf is completely ruined.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well one of the things that really messes up the turf in D.C. is the sheer number of games played in that stadium on that turf. Back when the Hawks beat Washington in the playoffs, I think I remember the announcers talking about high school and college football games being played on that same turf throughout the NFL season. Modern artificial turf can handle that kind of schedule, but natural grass cannot, especially if it's been raining or snowing a lot and the field gets chewed up. Then again, Snyder seems to be perfectly okay spending millions of dollars on players that tend to bust upon arrival, but becomes a cheapskate when it comes to field upkeep. I think all teams will eventually switch to artificial turf, especially as that technology continues to improve, but it might take some significant turf-related injuries to make it happen with some teams (unless you're Daniel Snyder and don't give a damn).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The broncos had 3 practices in the last week and a half on that field as they are building a brand new practice facility making it to where fans cannot watch practice. So this has made it where they have practiced in the stadium than usual so that fans could see the team. Throw in they also had a soccer game on the field not long ago mixed with lots of rain. The Broncos field is usually in great shape but it has gotten a little more use than usual which lead to a bit of slippage by players.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago's Soldier Field and Pittsburgh's Heinz Field consistently stand out to me as the two most poorly maintained fields in the league.

Soldier Field is so bad the Bears own players complain about it. Brian Urlacher used to be an incredibly vocal critic.

And I believe the field maintenance at Heinz is a major reason why it's so damn difficult to make a 50+ yard field goal in Pittsburgh.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of turf... does anybody know why the CenturyLink turf looked so bad at midfield for the Sounders game? The nice thing about artificial turf is that it doesn't take long to make it look and play good again, but it looked pretty horrible during that game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Is field turf statistically the safest surface? Fewest injuries?

If so, I totally agree. That would be a small thing to prevent some very serious injuries.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. It's time for the NFL to mandate that teams hire competent ground keeping crews & spend some money on their fields.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. It's time for the NFL to mandate that teams hire competent ground keeping crews & spend some money on their fields.

Either way I agree there should be a certain standard that an NFL field should be held to.

A shitty chewed up field just makes for sloppy play and increased chance of injury without adding any entertainment value.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago's Soldier Field and Pittsburgh's Heinz Field consistently stand out to me as the two most poorly maintained fields in the league.

Soldier Field is so bad the Bears own players complain about it. Brian Urlacher used to be an incredibly vocal critic.

And I believe the field maintenance at Heinz is a major reason why it's so damn difficult to make a 50+ yard field goal in Pittsburgh.

This is what is called home field advantage!!! The Steelers nor do thier kickers have a hard time on the field...
Any team that plays on natural grass loves the fact that a visiting team can't get the proper footing!!! All a part of the game!!!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides injuries, I'm fine with sloppy fields, leaves things up to chance which makes the game(s) more interesting IMO.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players are more prone to injury on that fake grass shit!!!
Mother nature happens, so unless your in a dome stadium, the fields are gonna get messy, come on its part of football!!!

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everybody understands that field conditions can deteriorate during games when the weather conditions deteriorate, but what we're talking about here are field conditions that are consistently awful over a long period of time regardless of the weather conditions. That's more intentional negligence or bad/lazy groundskeeping than "part of football". The turf that Washington allows it's team to play on isn't a home-field advantage, it's a safety hazard. There are ways to gain a home-field advantage without having to resort to keeping field conditions so bad that it increases the risk of injury rather than reducing it.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what is called home field advantage!!! The Steelers nor do thier kickers have a hard time on the field...
Any team that plays on natural grass loves the fact that a visiting team can't get the proper footing!!! All a part of the game!!!

I wouldn't call it home field advantage if your own kickers are equally impacted.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players are more prone to injury on that fake grass shit!!!
Mother nature happens, so unless your in a dome stadium, the fields are gonna get messy, come on its part of football!!!

If you were talking about the old Astro Turf, I'd completely agree. However, artificial turf (field turf) is a 4th generation product. I've seen studies that slightly lean one way or the other in regards to what's better/worse but there is no report that damns one over the other.

I'll say this, a un-kept grass field <Cough!> <Cough!> <FedEx Field> is far more hazardous than a maintained grass or a field turf set up.

:2cents:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not take that BS about all the use on the Broncos field as a reason to be in such piss poor shape. Look at the Monsoon the Titan's/Vikings played in and that field didn't even blink. It looked great even at the end of the game. It's all about how much pride a team has in caring for their field.

I think a lot of us after Clemons injury are very quick to judge though because we know first hand how a crappy ass field can take you out of the race faster than you can say ACL. Still though Show some pride and keep your fields in tip top shape because you got millionaires playing on it. We all ready know that teams like the Redskins/Bears and Steelers are all about the money they can bleed from their fans :P. The do not care about the field if you are still paying to show up.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not take that BS about all the use on the Broncos field as a reason to be in such piss poor shape. Look at the Monsoon the Titan's/Vikings played in and that field didn't even blink. It looked great even at the end of the game. It's all about how much pride a team has in caring for their field.

I think a lot of us after Clemons injury are very quick to judge though because we know first hand how a crappy ass field can take you out of the race faster than you can say ACL. Still though Show some pride and keep your fields in tip top shape because you got millionaires playing on it. We all ready know that teams like the Redskins/Bears and Steelers are all about the money they can bleed from their fans :P. The do not care about the field if you are still paying to show up.

The whole "world is against the hawks" schtick is tiresome. Grats on being relevant and yes fed ex field sucked ass for that game but the plan was for Clemons and Griffin to get injured I'm sure.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole "world is against the hawks" schtick is tiresome. Grats on being relevant and yes fed ex field sucked ass for that game but the plan was for Clemons and Griffin to get injured I'm sure.

Um? What? Noone said it was anyones plan. It did severely effect both organizations though. Seattle didn't sniff Matt Ryan the next game and was bounced from the playoffs. RG3 hasn't been the same player since.

Both could of been avoided had your owner spend a few bucks and take care of the damn field. If anyone should be pissed its a fan of the skins. Your franchise qb who was rookie of the year, who the team paid a huge amount of draft picks for shreddded his knee on that slop. And your team sucked last year cause of it.