• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tie goes to the runner?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that grew up playing baseball with this rule? I don't understand why umpires in a bang-bang play don't err on the side of offense. We've all heard the narrative that MLB wants more runs to score in baseball to make the game more exciting, etc. so why don't they call runners safe if it's a toss up? I'm speaking in terms of the umps on the field. If they replay shows the guy was out, okay fix it. But if it's ridiculously close I think it would be better if MLB instructed its umps to err on the side of the offense.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That "rule" have never applied to higher levels of baseball. Further, it does not apply when replay is in the equation.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that grew up playing baseball with this rule? I don't understand why umpires in a bang-bang play don't err on the side of offense. We've all heard the narrative that MLB wants more runs to score in baseball to make the game more exciting, etc. so why don't they call runners safe if it's a toss up? I'm speaking in terms of the umps on the field. If they replay shows the guy was out, okay fix it. But if it's ridiculously close I think it would be better if MLB instructed its umps to err on the side of the offense.
Calm down, Adrian. That one run wasn't gonna help you last night.

juuuuuuuust kidding! But not really- I totally grew up with that saying as well, but I've never heard it be applied at a level above the playground. :noidea:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a useless statement the ump has to make a call. There is no 'tie.'
Btw. He was out. I reviewed it frame by frame for an hour. His hand came in from in the sir down to the plate. When his chin is touched, you can still make out shadow under his fingers.
Heyward throws out A-Gon

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a useless statement the ump has to make a call. There is no 'tie.'
Btw. He was out. I reviewed it frame by frame for an hour. His hand came in from in the sir down to the plate. When his chin is touched, you can still make out shadow under his fingers.
Heyward throws out A-Gon
I think that whatever call was made on the field- safe or out - would've had to stand since there just wasn't enough evidence to overturn. Frame by frame looks like his hand finally comes in contact at the exact moment the glove grazes his chin.
:2cents:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't merely referencing Gonzalez. I'm just saying in general I'd prefer that the umpires on the field give the benefit of the doubt to the runner if it's super super close.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't merely referencing Gonzalez. I'm just saying in general I'd prefer that the umpires on the field give the benefit of the doubt to the runner if it's super super close.
200.gif

:heh:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB I am sure had a better angle then we got. Also they really have to have 100% proof to overturn a call... They said (and I believe them, this time) that there wasn't enough to overturn it. Sucks but that's the game and the "human element" part of it.