• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ticket stub signed by Lou Gehrig on his retirement day

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,718.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A ticket stub signed by Lou Gehrig on July 4, 1939 -- the day he retired from baseball -- is going on the auction block.

Heritage Auctions says more than 60,000 tickets to the game at Yankee Stadium were sold. Only two are known to have survived.

Of the two, only the mezzanine box ticket was signed by Gehrig. It's estimated to bring over $100,000 at the Aug. 1 sale in Cleveland.

The owner is an unidentified collector.

Gehrig retired after being diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, now known as Lou Gehrig's disease. In his farewell speech that day, he said, "I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth."

Heritage's director of sports memorabilia, Chris Ivy, calls it "the most significant baseball ticket in the world."

Source: ESPN New York

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few investments would be as cool to display as this.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can a ticket like this bring only a 100k ? I would think this would be one of the most valuable baseball collectibles ever.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can a ticket like this bring only a 100k ? I would think this would be one of the most valuable baseball collectibles ever.

Well... It is just a ticket stub and it is just an autograph...

A baseball signed by both Joe D & Marilyn Monroe went for $191k (the most ever for any autograph)...

Five most valuable sports autographs - Yahoo Sports

If it were his spikes or jersey from that day, it could fetch a lot more, but not as much as a Ruth Jersey...

Most Expensive Sports Memorabilia - More Sports - SI.com

But I do think it will go for more than $100k....

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... It is just a ticket stub and it is just an autograph...

A baseball signed by both Joe D & Marilyn Monroe went for $191k (the most ever for any autograph)...

Five most valuable sports autographs - Yahoo Sports

If it were his spikes or jersey from that day, it could fetch a lot more, but not as much as a Ruth Jersey...

Most Expensive Sports Memorabilia - More Sports - SI.com

But I do think it will go for more than $100k....

I do too. there's a lot of crazy bastards out there w/lots of coin and this is one of those things someone "has" to have.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to have someone out there willing to pay money for it.

It's really, really cool and a fantastic investment but there are only so many people in the world who are (1) interested and (2) wealthy enough to bid on it. I'm a baseball/history/baseball history fan but it wouldn't exactly be high on my list even if I hit the next Powerball.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to have someone out there willing to pay money for it.

It's really, really cool and a fantastic investment but there are only so many people in the world who are (1) interested and (2) wealthy enough to bid on it. I'm a baseball/history/baseball history fan but it wouldn't exactly be high on my list even if I hit the next Powerball.

ok I'm with you here. I'm a Gehrig fan so I'm a little bit tilted here. I guess the historical significance is what I'm seeing here along with what you mentioned as a really cool piece to have.