• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Algieri-Khan?

KnightAndDay

Separate or shoot to kill
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,129.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More often than not a round was a toss up than won clearly by either guy.

I scored it 115-113, Algieri

Rd 1 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 2 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 3 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 4 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 5 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 6 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 7 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 8 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 9 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 10 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 11 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 12 - 10-9, Algieri

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More often than not a round was a toss up than won clearly by either guy.

I scored it 115-113, Algieri

Rd 1 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 2 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 3 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 4 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 5 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 6 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 7 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 8 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 9 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 10 - 10-9, Khan
Rd 11 - 10-9, Algieri
Rd 12 - 10-9, Algieri
in these kinds of fight often times the bigger name wins them. Unless the lesser names dominates, then they might win a close decision.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good fight, but Provodnikov v Mattyse was CLEARLY fight of the year. It would take a heck of a battle to top that one.

I'm not even gonna offer an opinion on the scoring, I was trying to watch it while doing like 17 other things. Including arguing with my ex wife, and try to figure out dates where the kids will be here or there, then trying to coordinate that with my mother, and this new girl was here who I've only known 3-4 months, so she isn't used to getting ignored for sports yet.

What I did see of the fight Algieri was coming forward and throwing everything with power. I did see him hurt Khan once. But I though Khan was obviously controlling the fight, looked much slicker, and landed more shots. Plus about 6-7 times they both unloaded on each other and connected with big shots at the exact same time. Khan seemed to come out of each of those better off. I would have guessed he had a bigger lead on the scorecards than he did.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd shouldn't waste his last fight on Khan IMO

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd shouldn't waste his last fight on Khan IMO

Khan is one of the few guys who could actually beat Floyd.

Him and Danny Garcia are probably the only two with enough speed, boxing ability/smarts, and accurate punching to ever take rounds off Floyd. And that's the only way he loses. Nobody with enough power to hurt him is ever going to connect with a single punch, there's just nobody that dangerous left near his weight. Mattyse is the only other one with a legitimate claim, and Garcia destroyed him. Then Garcia looked like poo in everything since then, maybe blew his shot.

Cotto still makes the most sense to me. He's a name the non boxing people have heard of. All those idiots who came in here thinking Pacquiao had a chance, just because they had heard he was good have also heard of Miguel Cotto. He's Puerto Rican, so them and the Mexicans can get behind him, and those are two of the generalized fan bases that still like boxing and pay for PPV's. Plus he technically is still the lineal middleweight champion. But with him fighting Alverez, I guess it has to be Khan.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Khan is one of the few guys who could actually beat Floyd.

Him and Danny Garcia are probably the only two with enough speed, boxing ability/smarts, and accurate punching to ever take rounds off Floyd. And that's the only way he loses. Nobody with enough power to hurt him is ever going to connect with a single punch, there's just nobody that dangerous left near his weight. Mattyse is the only other one with a legitimate claim, and Garcia destroyed him. Then Garcia looked like poo in everything since then, maybe blew his shot.

Cotto still makes the most sense to me. He's a name the non boxing people have heard of. All those idiots who came in here thinking Pacquiao had a chance, just because they had heard he was good have also heard of Miguel Cotto. He's Puerto Rican, so them and the Mexicans can get behind him, and those are two of the generalized fan bases that still like boxing and pay for PPV's. Plus he technically is still the lineal middleweight champion. But with him fighting Alverez, I guess it has to be Khan.
Khan has no chance.
All Khans strengths are all of Floyd's Strengths only Floyd is better at everyone of them. This would be a disaster fight. Not only on the cards, but extremely boring. Zero threat to Floyd which is probably why Floyd will take this fight. Even if with their styles Khan actually did better than Floyd in a round it would be marginal which means the round would go to Floyd.
I would love to see Cotto II fight. he was able to cut off the ring (one of very few to do so) & is a much better fighter with Freddie Roach, vs. who he was in his 1st fight. Still think Floyd wins but it would be an entertaining fight, & Cotto would win some rounds.
Still say he should take out Thurman, but I think his toughest opponent in this weight class would be Kell Brook a very technical fighter. Although I don't think a lot of people know him so no way Floyd picks that fight.