• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: There's no place like home: Rangers host A's 7/25-7/27

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so after game but the pitcher has the ball then. Just pretty ticked

True enough. Once the guy on the hill has the pill he sure-as-hell can throw whatever he wants. Catcher/coach be damned.

But your lean toward a "teaching moment" after the game is probably right on.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so sick of watching Mitch Moreland step out on the ball and miss a grooved strike.
I have noticed for a while that he does not step straight back towards the mound. Not sure what is up with that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed the game. Sure wasted a good start by Darvish. And I noticed when I looked we had 3 runs on 11 hits. That is the 2nd game that I know of where we had quite a few hits with not much to show for it. I think the other game was like 2 runs on 11 hits.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first single in the inning ticked me off. Ahead in the count and gave way too much of the plate. Nadel jinxed him when he was brought in singing all the praises of Bush for prior 11 innings. I hate it when announcers do that. Do that after the game. Sheeesh

Busby does that crap as much as anyone

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers have been one of the worst, if not the worst team in baseball since late June. I thought the worm would turn by now but when you are getting your tail kicked by bottom-feeders like the Twins, Angels, and As its more than just a case of those teams being hot when we played them. I do not want to see any young core player that is part of the Rangers long-term plan (meaning 2017 and beyond) to be traded at this point for a pitcher when this team is realistically needing much much more than a SP to make a deep October run.

I suspect by the time the Rangers return home from their next road trip they will be a few games behind the Astros regardless of any trade JD makes at this point. In my mind they are playing so poorly right now that I would rather hold on to our young assets, let them continue to develop, and not go for broke in 2016.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers have been one of the worst, if not the worst team in baseball since late June. I thought the worm would turn by now but when you are getting your tail kicked by bottom-feeders like the Twins, Angels, and As its more than just a case of those teams being hot when we played them. I do not want to see any young core player that is part of the Rangers long-term plan (meaning 2017 and beyond) to be traded at this point for a pitcher when this team is realistically needing much much more than a SP to make a deep October run.

I suspect by the time the Rangers return home from their next road trip they will be a few games behind the Astros regardless of any trade JD makes at this point. In my mind they are playing so poorly right now that I would rather hold on to our young assets, let them continue to develop, and not go for broke in 2016.

HARD TIMES. We shall come back

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are hard times indeed for the Rangers. And you never know maybe they can turn things around. But do you really want to see a Gallo, Profar, or Brinson traded just to pick up a SP that probably at best is a #4 or #5 when the Rangers clearly aren't one piece away from being a WS contender? I certainly don't. Beltre signed on for two more seasons. We owe it to him to not mortgage those years in any way by going all in this year.

Rangers are 7-17 in last 24 games with a -58 run differential in those games. That is against some really bad teams. Only Cubs and Red Sox had winning records when we faced them during that span.

Gotta face the music. Young talented team with overall minimal big league experience that needs to strengthen the rotation in the offseason. Moreland will be gone. Holland probably as well. Need to re-sign Desmond. Acquire a better hitting catcher. Unload Choo if possible. Good things ahead for this ballclub.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are hard times indeed for the Rangers. And you never know maybe they can turn things around. But do you really want to see a Gallo, Profar, or Brinson traded just to pick up a SP that probably at best is a #4 or #5 when the Rangers clearly aren't one piece away from being a WS contender? I certainly don't. Beltre signed on for two more seasons. We owe it to him to not mortgage those years in any way by going all in this year.

Rangers are 7-17 in last 24 games with a -58 run differential in those games. That is against some really bad teams. Only Cubs and Red Sox had winning records when we faced them during that span.

Gotta face the music. Young talented team with overall minimal big league experience that needs to strengthen the rotation in the offseason. Moreland will be gone. Holland probably as well. Need to re-sign Desmond. Acquire a better hitting catcher. Unload Choo if possible. Good things ahead for this ballclub.

Go away.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Romeo. I see some great things ahead for the Rangers as long as they don't buy into the fallacy of 2016 or bust. I know you see it as well. Just way too many holes to fill at a trade deadline and no way to know if Colby or Derek come back ready to win ball games this year. Look at the run differentials for every other 1st place team. Texas is 14 games over .500 with 487 scored and 487 given up. That is telling.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers GM Jon Daniels On Trade For Lucas Harrell, Dario Alvarez

By Jason Martinez | July 27, 2016 at 11:20pm CDT

The Rangers addressed their pitching staff earlier today when they acquired pitchers Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez from the Braves for second base prospect Travis Demeritte. The price was seemingly high—Demeritte was a starter in this year’s All-Star Futures Game—for two pitchers who had very little value when picked up by the Braves in late May. Harrell was signed to a Minor League contract four days after he was released by the Tigers. Alvarez was claimed off waivers from the Mets. But with pitching being the Rangers’ top priority, general manager Jon Daniels was able to acquire two pitchers who could help in 2016 and are not yet eligible for arbitration. In a conference call earlier today, Jon Daniels explained his thinking behind the deal.

Described by Daniels as “a sinker-baller who’s going well right now,” the 31-year-old Harrell will be reunited with current Rangers pitching coach Doug Brocail, whom he knows from his days with the Astros. Daniels said that Brocail’s assessment of Harrell was “more of a confirmation of what we thought” and the expectation is that he’ll be a part of their rotation. After tossing six shutout innings in his final Braves start on Tuesday, Harrell is lined up for a home start against the Royals on Sunday.

In regards to his new lefty reliever, Daniels called the 27-year-old Alvarez, who has allowed five earned runs in his 15 innings of work with an amazing 28-to-5 strikeout-to-walk ratio, a “real interesting guy” with “deceptive delivery and plus velocity.” He also mentioned that this was Alvarez’s first time with an extended run in the Major Leagues. “Sometimes you have to take a chance before a guy’s a household name”, said Daniels, who did just that when he traded for Sam Dyson on the last day of the 2015 trade deadline and has seen him blossom into a successful late-inning arm.

Asked if he was done addressing his pitching staff and if there was a possibility that he would acquire a non-pitcher before Monday’s deadline, Daniels said that he wouldn’t rule anything out. “We’re still having additional conversations”, he said, adding that pitching remains his team’s top priority.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Romeo. I see some great things ahead for the Rangers as long as they don't buy into the fallacy of 2016 or bust. I know you see it as well. Just way too many holes to fill at a trade deadline and no way to know if Colby or Derek come back ready to win ball games this year. Look at the run differentials for every other 1st place team. Texas is 14 games over .500 with 487 scored and 487 given up. That is telling.
How do you see great things ahead by stock piling position players while going bankrupt on pitching. That area is not around at the higher levels of the minors.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you serious? Have you forgotten last year already? Don't you pay attention to history? The Astros had a big lead over the Rangers and we surged back to take the division. We were in worse shape at this point last year than we are in right now. Are you also forgetting that we have 9 games left against the Astros a team that we have completely dominated this year head to head.The reinforcements are coming. JD will make another move or two to help this team. We will not back down. Wipe your pussy and settle in for the fight.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? Have you forgotten last year already? Don't you pay attention to history? The Astros had a big lead over the Rangers and we surged back to take the division. We were in worse shape at this point last year than we are in right now. Are you also forgetting that we have 9 games left against the Astros a team that we have completely dominated this year head to head.The reinforcements are coming. JD will make another move or two to help this team. We will not back down. Wipe your pussy and settle in for the fight.

I'm simply saying I do not want to see a young, talented piece moved for a back end SP. And I don't see us stockpiled as far as position players go. Mitch Moreland is good as gone after this year. Fielder is probably done with baseball. No guarantee at all that Desmond comes back next year. And Choo can't stay healthy to save his life. And you know that one of Roogie, Andrus, and Odor likely is dealt this winter.

Of course pitching is priority. Always has been, always will be. But the SP trade market right now is downright awful. If JD can get an Ervin Santana for peanuts I'm all for it. But I'm just trying to remain level-headed here.

Since June 28th the Rangers have played the 3rd easiest schedule in all of baseball. They have the 2nd worst record in baseball since that date. I wish it were different but this team is playing at a miserable level right now. Of course that can change. But I'm certainly not going to bet the farm on it, so to speak.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm simply saying I do not want to see a young, talented piece moved for a back end SP. And I don't see us stockpiled as far as position players go. Mitch Moreland is good as gone after this year. Fielder is probably done with baseball. No guarantee at all that Desmond comes back next year. And Choo can't stay healthy to save his life. And you know that one of Roogie, Andrus, and Odor likely is dealt this winter.

Of course pitching is priority. Always has been, always will be. But the SP trade market right now is downright awful. If JD can get an Ervin Santana for peanuts I'm all for it. But I'm just trying to remain level-headed here.

Since June 28th the Rangers have played the 3rd easiest schedule in all of baseball. They have the 2nd worst record in baseball since that date. I wish it were different but this team is playing at a miserable level right now. Of course that can change. But I'm certainly not going to bet the farm on it, so to speak.

I was thinking along the lines of what Will was saying earlier. We have not played great lately, but we have had some terrible luck with the match ups. The Twinkies were playing out of their minds against us, they blew us out many times. The Angels put together a huge winning streak after the all star break, we ran into them at a bad time. The A's are playing their best ball right now. The only team that we have played lately who isn't hot? The Royals. We won the series against them and they come in next for 4 games. I think we will beat them again.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please go away.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But do you really want to see a Gallo, Profar, or Brinson traded just to pick up a SP that probably at best is a #4 or #5

We don't, of course. I don't think that's going to happen, though.