• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The X-Files

omarsrevenge

Godlike
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the episode was meh. Duchovny just seems weary and worn. Dialogue was cliched and I think they trotted out every single Internet conspiracy from the last 10 years.

Felt rushed to me? I dunno.

Good to have it back and I don't want to say I was disappointed but it just seemed like it moved awful fast. Like everything was just taken at face value and moved along.

Kind of agree with both. If they had this much stuff to jam in they should have made it a 10 episode event and spent a little more time delving into conspiracies.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first one was as expected. You had to figure that new viewers were not going to go back and relive all the episodes with Scully giving birth to a part alien, so First one was making sure everyone remembered what was going on and what took this path.

But this being a 6 episode deal, I really thought they were going to keep the same theme going throughout the 6, not a completely different x file in the second episode. Kinda think they could have done a nice story with 6 episodes exposing the smoking man, (how awesome was his scene) and not taking on another case. I mean if they wanted to tie Scullys work with the deformed kids to alien DNA, they could have done it without using a doctor doing the work being called a suspect.

So felt a rushed first episode, then alot of unnecessary drama just to find one guy that might end up tieing to scullys work. I guess we will see down the road, but if it just showed how the secret was protected with that ringing ear dude being a defender of the work, it might make more sense. Otherwise, seems like they could have found the doctor, alien DNA between one scene in a commercial break.

I agree on David Ducovney being weary and worn, but I saw that as part of showing how worn down Mulder is from the past decade of being alone in this search, not even having Scully to help him with his ideas.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While not horrible I thought the second episode was worse than the first. They both stated well and seem to get muddled in the middle.
Duchovny made it sound like he wanted to do the show, but his line reading makes me wonder.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a walk down memory lane. I'm tempted to re-watch the series on netflix but that is quite the commitment with the number of episodes.

I don't do Netflix but I did record a bunch of "best ofs" that were on Space up here. Including the pilot.

Man are they ever young...

Last night I watched the one where the guy could squeeze through any duct to get your liver.....

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully episode 3 makes everyone happy. It is written and directed by Darin Morgan who did some of the very best episodes in the past, like Jose Chungs from Outerspace and Clyde Bruckerman's Final Repose. The reviewers who have already seen it are saying things like "instant classic" and that this episode makes the return worth it.

Loved the brother/sister telekinetic/telepathic conclusion to episode 2, but it did drag a bit at times. As already noted, Duchovney's readings have been wooden even for him.

Also, apparently the Lone Gunmen will make an appearance at some point. They are listed in the imdb credits.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, episode 3 was spaghetti western rolled up in a bad syfy channel series. Looked like a "STOP ASKING FOR US TO BRING THE X-FILES BACK" episode. 5 more episodes like the first one would have had people picketing fox for another full run. I did not completely hate it, the Gillian cleavage and sex scene was nice.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought last night's episode was excellent.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so nobody else thought that Mulder claiming its men not aliens deserves more explanation when we were only given 6 more episodes? Scully finding out her work on the deformed children are caused by alien DNA? Last night was a spoof.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so nobody else thought that Mulder claiming its men not aliens deserves more explanation when we were only given 6 more episodes? Scully finding out her work on the deformed children are caused by alien DNA? Last night was a spoof.

Yes it was. And the occasional goofy episodes have always been a part of the X-files. I am glad we got to see another Darin Morgan episode.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge X-Files fan, but even I thought they put the humor on a bit too thick.

It was a really good story, but a more serious tone would have been nice.

omarsrevenge

Godlike
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts exactly. Why waste time with this cheesy episode.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Darin Morgan people! Every episode that he has done for the X-Files has been comedy. I don't know why anyone would expect any different.

For the record, I thought it was a good episode but far from great. Right there with Humbug, but below Clyde Bruckerman's Final Repose, and Jose Chungs From Outerspace as far as the Darin Morgan epsiodes go. My wife hated it though as she thought they were making too much fun of themselves.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hate it. Just thought that with only six episodes they didn't have time for it and still tell a good story.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hate it. Just thought that with only six episodes they didn't have time for it and still tell a good story.

Thats exactly the point, they did not have enough time with six episodes to even finish what they started with the first episode. The second one made sense if you consider Scully was actually treating kids that were deformed from alien DNA, but then off to a spoof episode gives me little hope for a strong finish.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read something that might sound like a spoiler, but the finale should book end these 4 middle shows nicely. If you are waiting for the answers the new premier questioned, we are supposed to get them 2-22.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the one Sunday. After the were-monster episode this was the best of the new batch in my opinion.

I was thinking about why I am less than thrilled with some of the new ones, well the first two. I wonder what I wold have thought of the exact same episodes 20 years ago. I really think in the mid 90s The X Files was far and away one of the better things on TV. The production quality was way above other shows, The X-Files looked like short movies. For the most part the writing and plotting was way better than most shows of that time. However I feel in the time since then the quality of TV programming has gone way up; both in the way things look and in more complex plots and story lines (individual stories, season arcs, series mythologies). So I wonder if that is part of why I am underwhelmed.

I still cannot get past the way the show ended - the mythology being a complete muddled mess (Samantha taken by fairy like walk ins? Seriously wtf?). I thought Robert Patrick was decent but given nothing interesting to do, but I thought Gish and her character were terrible. Maybe the show is still soured for me by the end of the first run.