• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The weird, weird world of spring training

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well spring baseball is off to an interesting start to say the least. The Dodgers' 200 million dollar man is pitching like a scrub, Brian Wilson is throwing knuckleballs, and Dee Gordon is smacking home runs and triples at a steady clip. Greinke makes just about everyone mad with his Aussie comments, then pulls a calf muscle and doesn't have to go. Puig, meanwhile, continues to make silly throws. For the most part the invitees are outplaying the vets. Maybe they try harder. Gotta love spring baseball; it's almost as good as a comedy show.

On another note, and certainly nothing funny about this, it's sad to hear that Ross Stripling will be having TJ surgery. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear from you Old. I think the Dodgers are having a pretty good ST. The key is to keep everyone healthy and, with the exception of Stripling, everyone is in pretty good shape. Hopefully Kemp fully recovers and can return to his 2011 form.

I'm expecting the Dodgers to get off to a good start. They certainly have a good team, so we will keep our fingers crossed.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring Training is definitely an adventure. Remember Hector Gimenez?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be in attendance at the Dodgers - White Sox night game tonight. Who are some prospects or just some other young guys I should watch that y'all think have a chance to be every day players or even all stars in the future?

Thanks

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be in attendance at the Dodgers - White Sox night game tonight. Who are some prospects or just some other young guys I should watch that y'all think have a chance to be every day players or even all stars in the future?

Thanks

Dee Gordon has lit it up so far this spring, Alexander Guerrero is battling with him for starting 2b, both are converted shortstops. Joc Pederson looks like he could be quite the player in another year or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Gordon has lit it up so far this spring, Alexander Guerrero is battling with him for starting 2b, both are converted shortstops. Joc Pederson looks like he could be quite the player in another year or two.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully Pederson gets some action.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really. He's looked better than expected on defense but that's about it.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Gordon is, according to various sports writers, going to be the regular 2B when the season opens.

My first thought is that he will be back in Albuquerque by the end of May, if not before. Maybe Gordon is catching on and has turned a corner. Time will tell. I still believe Guerrero is the longer term answer at 2B.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Gordon is, according to various sports writers, going to be the regular 2B when the season opens.

My first thought is that he will be back in Albuquerque by the end of May, if not before. Maybe Gordon is catching on and has turned a corner. Time will tell. I still believe Guerrero is the longer term answer at 2B.

He's not going to be the "regular 2B" - he's just a placeholder until Guerrero is ready. Then Gordon becomes a utility player to backup 2B, SS, and CF - uncluding pinch hitting/running duties.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. He's looked better than expected on defense but that's about it.

I doubt many were expecting him to hit 4 triples as well as tie for the team lead in hits this spring.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Gordon can carry over his ST performance in to the Regular Season.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt many were expecting him to hit 4 triples as well as tie for the team lead in hits this spring.

Yeah and Miguel Rojas actually tied him in hits and his average was .426 compared to Dee Gordon's .286. Rojas is also considered to be far batter on defense than Gordon.

Perhaps we should give him the starting job instead?

Oh and that huge amount of hits it took to lead the team....? 12. 12 hits. Surely eye-popping, right?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and Miguel Rojas actually tied him in hits and his average was .426 compared to Dee Gordon's .286. Rojas is also considered to be far batter on defense than Gordon.

Perhaps we should give him the starting job instead?

Oh and that huge amount of hits it took to lead the team....? 12. 12 hits. Surely eye-popping, right?

12 hits along with 9 for 9 in stolen bases and a slight improvement to defense. Apparently we have different definitions for the word "expected". He played above expectations and earned the starting job, deal with it.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Dee Gordon supporter and never have been. What he's done in ST is, for him, more than I would expect him to do in the Regular season. If he can hit .280 and steal bases like he does and make most of the plays then I'd feel a lot better having him in the lineup.

I'm not holding my breath, however. I'd rather see Alex Guerrero start the Season at 2B. The kid will hit and should improve with the glove.

Frankly my biggest concern with the Dodgers is their health. I think 2B will work itself out.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 hits along with 9 for 9 in stolen bases and a slight improvement to defense. Apparently we have different definitions for the word "expected". He played above expectations and earned the starting job, deal with it.

Oh please. This is you backing down from saying that Dee Gordon "lit it up" during ST, which he absolutely did not do.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please. This is you backing down from saying that Dee Gordon "lit it up" during ST, which he absolutely did not do.

Nothing to back down from, I'm simply being as anal with word choice as you are.

The question asked was who to watch, 12 hits might not be impressive, but it is still the highest amount on the team. Don't let me interrupt you though, continue being a douche :noidea:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to back down from, I'm simply being as anal with word choice as you are.

The question asked was who to watch, 12 hits might not be impressive, but it is still the highest amount on the team. Don't let me interrupt you though, continue being a douche :noidea:

It's also a 3-way tie with Rojas and Ethier. So Ethier is probably the Dodgers best hitter in the OF, right?

Here, read up on the top 3 hitters from each other the last few years of Spring Training: The Recent History of Dodgers Spring Hitting - Dodgers Digest

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also a 3-way tie with Rojas and Ethier. So Ethier is probably the Dodgers best hitter in the OF, right?

Here, read up on the top 3 hitters from each other the last few years of Spring Training: The Recent History of Dodgers Spring Hitting - Dodgers Digest

Compared to the rest of the Dodgers and considering the fact that it's Dee Gordon, I don't think it's unfair to say that he lit it up. He did have one of the best springs out of all the Dodgers.

Just to clarify, the question was about who to watch on the Dodgers for that one spring training game out of all the potential starters or potential stars in the future. I'm pretty sure Rojas was mostly playing shortstop, so not a potential starter this year. Ethier and Crawford are both starters at least until Matt Kemp gets back, so really not worth mentioning. Really, the only opening the Dodgers have is at 2b.

All this stuff you are saying about me putting high value behind spring numbers is a mystery to me though. I never said Gordon would be great I actually said I wanted Guerrero to start as far back as last year (which you also disagreed with). I like Gordon and I am a fan but I wouldn't care if he failed to perform and Guerrero was brought up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagreed with the notion that he would come in without question marks and be ready to be starter on day 1.

Hmmm.........?