• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The second half

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching tonight's comedy of errors, I am glad we have a couple of good outfielders. But I also realize that I will not root for another .500 team in my lifetime unless I decide to cheer for the Yankees.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if Mesoraco hip is bothering him again. His BA is down to 218, and his defense lately has been less than average. I wonder what his future will be for the Reds?

The Reds have kept Turner for the whole season, But they haven't used him much. If he is good enough to hold onto and keep on the roster, and not send back to the Twins. Why not let him get some experience, and let him play ever now and then

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meso was DL in July with a left shoulder. Haven't heard of any other reoccurring injuries, but I'd assume the legs will always be a problem.

He's owed $13M next year, so he's here for at least one more year. After that it's hard to imagine a team investing more than a minor league deal with MLB incentives if he makes the club.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of the Stuart Turner rule 5 pick. I understand the need for a backup plan with Mesoraco's injury history, but Turner isn't much of a plan.

I can't understand why the Reds have three catchers and none of them play another position. There's no defensive flexibilty and very little run production being gained. It's been more like playing with a 23 man active roster.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are one hamstring pull away from Stuart Turner being a 5-day a week catcher.

I realize this isn't high on their issues list this year, and neither is having paper towels in the restrooms at the ballpark. I really don't know what IS their priority. They can't unload Feldman or Cozart, maybe don't care if they do ... and have Chad Wallach or Bob Brenly as their next option to help pitchers who can't throw anything but high fastballs.

If this is a step toward a rebuild, they are going to have to take 2 or 3 really BIG steps next year.

As of now, I don't think the front office can identify 4 pitchers who will be in a competitive rotation. i can think of 2 and the rest of them are just as good now as they were in November.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears Wojo is staking a claim on a rotation spot.
At least he's inclined to throw strikes that don't end up in the Moon Deck.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuart Turner had a good game last night.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuart Turner had a good game last night.
turner is an odd piece considering the Reds really only have him on the roster to back up whoever is healthy enough to catch. But why didn't they make another deal with the Twins over him? That could have happened.

All that aside, I hear a lot of good things about Turner and the few at-bats he has had, he has hit the ball pretty well. Not sure about his defense but 2 things: He did get a pro contract and he is good enough to hold onto instead of releasing.

Could be, he is on the Reds roster next year as at least the backup to Barnhart. Mesoraco not playing much lately is a very curious sign.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be my biggest question concerning Stuart Turner. If the Reds thought that highly of Turner they could have worked out a trade after drafting him. It would have allowed them to option him out if necessary.

When the season began the Reds had Turner with no assignment options for this season and Rob Brantly with no options if added to the 40 man roster. Rob Brantly has since been released at the end of June and signed by the Chisox. Seems like poor roster management to me.

I would say next season we'll see Barnhart and Mesoraco have similiar roles and Turner on the MLB-AAA yoyo train.

They drafted Chris Okey out of Clemson last year, but he hasn't hit a lick since. I'd say Turner is going to be the short term answer on the depth chart.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wojo was fairly impressive through 5 innings. He showed signs of fading in the 5th and into the 6th, but nonetheless a good outing. He's been a a nice roll commanding his secondary pitches. It'll be interesting to see how they view him moving forward.

Castillo seems to have the knack of pitching out of trouble. If he could stop pitching himself into trouble, he'd be fun to watch.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I read somewhere that Turner was a good defensive catcher but light hitting. but I don't remember where or if I read it. Turner has aloud Price to use Mesoraco and Barnhart as pinch hitters most of the season, Plus I don't know if this means anything but Turner is making the ML minimum salary. so he's cheap. The way the Reds have operated the last few years.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey-soos fuckin' taco shell ... what the hell was that pitching last night?
Homer was completely mediocre and ended up looking like a CY winner ahead of his "mates."

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even after the Reds were up by 8 runs last night I thought it would be a close game. But I thought it would be Bailey that would give up the big inning, not the bullpen. But it was a win and I'll take it.

The brewers seem like they're in panic mode. way to tight.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The brewers seem like they're in panic mode. way to tight.

Reds may have rescued them last night since they will own Feldman tonight and probably rake Romano over the coals on Sunday. Now the Brewers know they can beat bad pitching.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it was no big trick predicting the outcome of these games, though Feldy pitched OK for the 4 innings he was able. OK meaning, he's still alive.

I really don't see how anybody is going to honestly sell me on the notion that Sal Romano is a big-league pitcher.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds keep hoping they can find a ML ready or close to ready pitcher. Castillo seems to be their only hope. I'm not sure what happened to Garrett, and Reed or why they haven't given them another chance. Maybe they're shellshocked . Or they know that they may never be good enough to pitch in the ML's

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds keep hoping they can find a ML ready or close to ready pitcher. Castillo seems to be their only hope. I'm not sure what happened to Garrett, and Reed or why they haven't given them another chance. Maybe they're shellshocked . Or they know that they may never be good enough to pitch in the ML's
With Garrett, that's probably true. He may learn to pitch. Reed evidently just can't throw strikes.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet that the Reds have given up more big innings, where the opposing team have scored 4 or more runs this year, than ever before. Most of this is because of bad pitching of course. but I believe the ball is juiced. You can't tell me that all these homeruns are because the hitters have upper cuts now.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When something is league wide, there's only one common denominator. The ball.

Either the ball is juiced or we're back to rampant steroid use again. Either way the MLB is happy as long as they're making money and nobody is the wiser.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When something is league wide, there's only one common denominator. The ball.

Either the ball is juiced or we're back to rampant steroid use again. Either way the MLB is happy as long as they're making money and nobody is the wiser.
Reds have 5 guys with 20 HR and will soon have 6. That's happened about 3 times in franchise history, including 1956 when they played in Crosley in an 8-team league.

Stanton has 43 already. Yeah, the ball is juiced along with the long list of pitchers who come out throwing 99 mph with 15 pitches in a row. The strike zone sucks.

I'd say it's the ball and there's history (1930) to support that claim.