• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Pick is in... Your Official NFL Draft Thread!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any concerns at WR? Our WR corps. scares me quite frankly.
Yea, to a degree I would love to get another young long WR. But O-line and CB are my primary concerns. I think Dotson and Brown SHOULD be set to have good years provided Daniels is legit AND we can protect him.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, to a degree I would love to get another young long WR. But O-line and CB are my primary concerns. I think Dotson and Brown SHOULD be set to have good years provided Daniels is legit AND we can protect him.
You have more faith in Brown than I do. I have given up on him...lol

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown is a bust
Maybe. And Im not against bringing in more WRs. But I stand by my take that we gotta fix the line and the secondary as well. And I think what we really lack at WR is a guy with some length paired with speed.

I mean unless we are going to bring back the smurfs.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want a wideout, but understand that it probably won't happen in the 2nd. T, Edge, and corner seem to be higher on their board. Just depends on who's there.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Falcons were dumb to pay KC all that money, and they were dumb to draft Penix without consulting with KC about their plans.

So the plan is to groom Pennix to start in three years, while KC plays out his contract?!

Then what: evaluate Pennix on his one year of starting, if he starts in 3 years, before having to pay him an obscene amount of money or drafting somebody else?

Its nice to get an heir apparent qb, but to get one in the same year as you shell out 100+ million seems like poor planning.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Falcons were dumb to pay KC all that money, and they were dumb to draft Penix without consulting with KC about their plans.

So the plan is to groom Pennix to start in three years, while KC plays out his contract?!

Then what: evaluate Pennix on his one year of starting, if he starts in 3 years, before having to pay him an obscene amount of money or drafting somebody else?

Its nice to get an heir apparent qb, but to get one in the same year as you shell out 100+ million seems like poor planning.
I see your point, but what if Kirk's not as mobile coming off of that Achilles rupture? There's a great chance that Achilles tendinitis/tendonopathy becomes a thing with a 36 year old QB, but my biggest concern with this move is seeing Mike Penix as the better QB between the two, albeit with far less experience at their respective stages. Clearly Atlanta, like me had Penix ranked as a top 3 QB in this draft. What happens if/when he comes into camp and makes it clear that he's not there to be relegated to back up? He is, after all, a top ten pick in the draft. (Actually pick #8)

Last edited:

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point, but what if Kirk's not as mobile coming off of that Achilles rupture? There's a great chance that Achilles tendinitis/tendonopathy becomes a thing with a 36 year old QB, but my biggest concern with this move is seeing Mike Penix as the better QB between the two, albeit with far less experience at their respective stages. Clearly Atlanta, like me had Penix ranked as a top 3 QB in this draft. What happens if/when he comes into camp and makes it clear that he's not there to be relegated to back up? He is, after all, a top ten pick in the draft. (Actually pick #8)

I agree with you that KC coming back from that injury might not be such smooth sailing, and that if Penix out plays KC then the Falcons have a a controversy on their hands. What I don’t get is why they had to invite this controversy (or potential controversy) into their locker room before KC even played a down for the Falcons.

Spending a first round on one of the supposed “big six” qb’s especially without discussing your plans with KC seems short sighted. A very poorly constructed plan.

why would Penix be ok with sitting for three years behind KC, and/or having to wait for KC to get hurt for him to play?

It’s a bizarre move.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that KC coming back from that injury might not be such smooth sailing, and that if Penix out plays KC then the Falcons have a a controversy on their hands. What I don’t get is why they had to invite this controversy (or potential controversy) into their locker room before KC even played a down for the Falcons.

Spending a first round on one of the supposed “big six” qb’s especially without discussing your plans with KC seems short sighted. A very poorly constructed plan.

why would Penix be ok with sitting for three years behind KC, and/or having to wait for KC to get hurt for him to play?

It’s a bizarre move.
Again, you make great points, and there are a lot of questions about making this move. I suspect albeit without any evidence, that there's something afoot in the league. Denver, has given up on Wilson while taking a huge cap hit. It looks like Dallas is ready to make an exit on Dak. I don't believe that Atlanta has drafted Penix at #8 and seeing him as a 3 year work in progress. This is now an Arthur Blanks issue who will have to decide if it's worth it to pay and play Kirk even if this uber- talented, newly drafted QB proves to be the better player. Btw; I just saw an interview with Penix and listening with the third ear, he says that he wants to come in an make an impact. That doesn't appear to me like someone who will take his place and not compete for the job.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s a bizarre move.
I can think of $22M reasons why Penix wont be majorly upset being picked to sit for a year, or two or even three.

Add in the reality that if Kirk is designated a post june 1st cut in 2025, effectively the falcons GAIN cap space to the tune of $22 million. At which point its just money at that point.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins was 27 when he became a full time starter.
But this is a much different situation and he will be playing maybe on his final year of his rookie deal by the time he plays and then he has to hope he plays good enough in that final year for them to pick up his 5th year option or receive a completely new deal

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this is a much different situation and he will be playing maybe on his final year of his rookie deal by the time he plays and then he has to hope he plays good enough in that final year for them to pick up his 5th year option or receive a completely new deal
Its not much different than the Rogers in Green Bay, or Love after him situation. Aside from Penix being a couple of years older than your average rookie. He is coming in, will get to sit and learn for hopefully a season or two, in 2026 Atlanta can either cut ties with Kirk, or have a very expensive backup.

If Penix cant become the starter after two years on the bench, then the most they lost was an 8th overall pick. My honest take, if Kirk doesnt get them deep into the playoffs, the Falcons can cut ties with him after June 1 next year and aside from a very expensive year, no harm no foul. Now if Kirk does well, then yea, Penix got the Penis