• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nomar Mazara, Yohander Mendez, Joze LeClerc & Connor Sadzeck added to 40-Man

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spencer Patton traded to Cubs for IF Frandy De La Rosa

Patton for a player who has never been above A ball, and plays 2nd/SS. Thought Patton might bring a little more than this. But I do realize this kid is only 20.

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patton for a player who has never been above A ball, and plays 2nd/SS. Thought Patton might bring a little more than this. But I do realize this kid is only 20.

it came down to clearing a roster spot and Patton really had no chance to make the 25-man roster

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it came down to clearing a roster spot and Patton really had no chance to make the 25-man roster

Yeah this is true. And I know next to nothing about this kid. His upside may be terrific.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't all that impressed with Patton's performances last year

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't all that impressed with Patton's performances last year

which is why i think he didn't have any chance

I wasn't impressed either. And I certainly didn't see a spot for him on this team.

But I was somewhat surprised to see we got a low, class A player back for him. However, I said already, I know damn near nothing about this young man, and he may be a diamond in 2/3 years and we'll all be signing JD's praises again.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't impressed either. And I certainly didn't see a spot for him on this team.

But I was somewhat surprised to see we got a low, class A player back for him. However, I said already, I know damn near nothing about this young man, and he may be a diamond in 2/3 years and we'll all be signing JD's praises again.

Here's a couple of notes I found on De la rosa:

Across 544 minor league at-bats, Texas’ newly acquired infielder has a combined 143 hits, 75 runs, 83 RBI, 39 doubles, six triples and only one home run with a batting line of .236/.312/.362. Not eye-popping numbers, but it was enough for the Rangers – which is all that matters in the end.

Back during that time Baseball America had this to say about him.’

“Frandy De La Rosa (6-foot-1, 180 pounds) does things that scouts like but also has a few question marks. De La Rosa reportedly has a smooth swing from both sides of the plate and can handle the bat equally from the left and right side. He possesses a simple, short swing with quick hands and has shown the ability to barrel ball up. De La Rosa is seen more as a line drive hitter right now and not much of a power threat.”- Chicago Cubs Online – Baseball America

So far he’s only played in the rookie league and low A ball, but he’s still considered a top prospect. Last season in the minors he batted .273/.315/ .367/ .682 with 20 doubles, 30 RBI and 11 stolen bases.

Watch: 2012 – International Prospect Frandy De La Rosa Report

De La Rosa is known for speed, good hands, but currently still lacks the consistency to play shortshop. He’s mainly known as a good offensive middle infielder. Luckily for him he’s only 19 and has plenty of time to refine his skills. I’m guessing that what the Rangers see in him. If I had to guess he’ll start the season with the High Desert Mavericks and might be moved up to the Frisco Rough Riders during the 2016 season.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Gentry DFAed.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent Starter Notes: Price, Zimmermann, Buehrle

• Colby Lewis underwent meniscus surgery after the season and will have a checkup on his progress around Thanksgiving, MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports. The Rangers are interested in re-signing Lewis but they’ll wait to see the results of the checkup before they revisit negotiations.
  • The Rangers have been aggressive in checking out the trade and free agent markets for a pitching upgrade, but Sullivan notes that the most expensive pitchers (i.e. Price, Zack Greinke) aren’t being targeted. Beyond finding a new starter, the biggest help to the Texas rotation will be if Yu Darvish, Martin Perez, Derek Holland are all healthy next season.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually gonna post that earlier, not sure if we would have any interest at this point
Have to think we roster another CF on the cheap but after the draft, a defensive replacement with speed.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to think we roster another CF on the cheap but after the draft, a defensive replacement with speed.

Think the Yankees want pitching for Gardener, don't think we have anything for them but he would be interesting option if he didnt cost too awful much. If could still play CF that would allows DDJ to platoon in LF, or be a defensive replacement, 4th OF type or tradeable. Very unlikely but it did make for an interesting thought for a min

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the Yankees want pitching for Gardener, don't think we have anything for them but he would be interesting option if he didnt cost too awful much. If could still play CF that would allows DDJ to platoon in LF, or be a defensive replacement, 4th OF type or tradeable. Very unlikely but it did make for an interesting thought for a min

I like Gardner but would have several problems with him coming here. For one thing, and it's a pretty big thing, he hits LH. And we're trying to get rid of those already. He'll also be 33 next season, and I don't really think of him as an everyday CF. Isn't he primarily a RF with the Yanks?

Maybe I'm giving DeShields too much credit, but I think his play, defensively will improve with time in the OF. Can't let go of the thought he's a converted INF.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman ranked the baseball free agents by projections of their contracts.

Two Rangers made the list.

Heyman expects No. 13 Yovani Gallardo to get a five-year, $75 million deal. That's higher than the $12 million of some other projections.

Wrote Heyman: "He went home, and did a terrific job. Texas would like him back, but that bat is wasted in the AL."

He's turned himself into an excellent defensive first baseman, and he hit better when he got back to Texas. $15M, 2 years.

Heyman ranks Mike Napoli at No. 38 and expects a two-year, $15 million deal.

Wrote Heyman: "He's turned himself into an excellent defensive first baseman, and he hit better when he got back to Texas."

----

Status
Not open for further replies.