• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had to choose one of the two to give a three year contract extension to would it be Beltre or Darvish?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had to choose one of the two to give a three year contract extension to would it be Beltre or Darvish?

Darvish. We likely get Beltre signed. But if one has to be Yu. Despite HOF sentiments. But still really want both Beltre 2 years and option

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darvish, 100%.

I'd be more inclined to try to get Beltre on a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question really isn't posed fairly, in my opinion. Darvish is many years younger and plays a more coveted position.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question really isn't posed fairly, in my opinion. Darvish is many years younger and plays a more coveted position.
That is just part of the decision making process though. If they were both 26 years old it would be a different question altogether. The answer might not be any different though. I guess you can look at the year we signed Beltre and say the Rangers chose to try and sign Lee first and then moved on to Beltre.

I do wonder if signing Beltre to an extension will hamper our ability to sign Yu to an extension. If Beltre wants a 3 year deal it could affect our ability to extend Yu eventually unless we are able to dump a couple of other salaries. Extending Adrian could have some ripple effects.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers prospects out to impress this spring

3B Joey Gallo: He is still a prospect and ranked No. 1 in the Rangers' organization, according to MLBpipeline.com. With his enormous power, Gallo also has the potential to create the biggest buzz in Spring Training. The Rangers would prefer Gallo to start the season in Triple-A and continue his development. But there is always a chance he could light up the desert this spring and get people excited.

CF Lewis Brinson: The Rangers place a high value on players like Brinson, their No. 4 prospect. He is an athletic player with power and speed who can play in the middle of the diamond. The club's No. 1 Draft pick in 2012, he combined to play in 100 games last season at Class A High Desert, Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Round Rock, hitting .332 with a .403 on-base percentage and a .601 slugging percentage. He also had 20 home runs and 18 stolen bases and was the Rangers' Minor League Defender of the Year.

OF Nomar Mazara: The No. 2 prospect in the system, Mazara is just 20. But he handled himself well in 131 games at Frisco and Round Rock, hitting .296 with 14 home runs and 69 RBIs. He can play both corner outfield spots, he has good control of the strike zone and his power is still developing. He is expected to start at Triple-A, but his left-handed bat could also stir things up this spring.

OF Patrick Kivlehan: The Rangers have three multi-positional rookies coming to camp in Kivlehan, Ryan Cordell and Drew Robinson. Kivlehan, the No. 18 prospect, can play first, third and the outfield. Acquired from the Mariners, he hit .256 with 23 home runs, 73 RBIs and a .453 slugging percentage at Triple-A Tacoma last year. The Rangers would like a right-handed hitter with power off the bench, especially one that can play the corners.

LHP Andrew Faulkner: He made 11 appearances for the Rangers last season with a 2.76 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP. Faulkner is a converted starter who went to the bullpen halfway through last season. Right-hander Luke Jackson is another top relief prospect, but Texas has a greater need for left-handed relief, so Faulkner should be worth watching this spring.

RHP Myles Jaye: Acquired from the White Sox in the offseason, Jaye was 12-9 with a 3.90 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP at Double A Birmingham last season. He struck out 6.3 batters per nine innings and walked 2.9. He will likely start the season at Round Rock, but he is a starter and a candidate for the rotation.

Last edited:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an interview with Banister today:

"I believe that given another spring training, that experience from last year [combined with] a new voice with these guys and a renewed energy on the pitching side -- not to take anything away from Mike Maddux -- the additions of [pitching coach] Doug Brocail and [bullpen coach] Brad Holman that I believe that these guys are going to be better."

Yeah, it would be hard to take anything away from Maddux. Before Maddux came along our pitching stunk. I am not sure if the pitching staff we have will be better as time will tell but I hope with the BP we will have and Hamels helping Holland that we would be better by default.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would I rather sign to an extension? Darvish.
Who do I think would actually sign an extension? Beltre.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's easy... Darvish. I love Beltre, but he is at the tail end of his career. Not to mention, if you could talk Darvish into an extension of only 3 years, that would be great. I would think he would require more time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would I rather sign to an extension? Darvish.
Who do I think would actually sign an extension? Beltre.
What do you think it would take to sign them? Do you think Beltre will take less AAV than he is due in 2016? Maybe we should look at how much more per year Darvish is worth than Adrian? There are definitely a lot of factors to consider.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's easy... Darvish. I love Beltre, but he is at the tail end of his career. Not to mention, if you could talk Darvish into an extension of only 3 years, that would be great. I would think he would require more time.
I wonder if he would agree to a three year extension now. If he has a great season in 2016 I am pretty sure he wouldn't extend for just 3 years a year from now. We would take on a great deal more risk doing it this spring versus waiting and he takes on more risk by waiting. Of course he may have all the confidence in the world about his ability to recover and not feel it is risky at all to wait until later.

Then again, I am not sure if the organization is interested in keeping him around when he is certain to make over $20 million per year. I am not sure how they view him as a possible long term option beyond 2017.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he would agree to a three year extension now. If he has a great season in 2016 I am pretty sure he wouldn't extend for just 3 years a year from now. We would take on a great deal more risk doing it this spring versus waiting and he takes on more risk by waiting. Of course he may have all the confidence in the world about his ability to recover and not feel it is risky at all to wait until later.

Then again, I am not sure if the organization is interested in keeping him around when he is certain to make over $20 million per year. I am not sure how they view him as a possible long term option beyond 2017.

Business wise, it probably is dumb for both Yu or the Rangers to make a deal this spring - lot's of unknowns. That's why I don't think anything will happen here. Rangers would probably get the best deal at this point though. Overall, I actually think the opposite, I think Yu would have the most to lose by signing now because he isn't going to get the best offer coming off of a major surgery. I say this as I am pretty confident he going to get back to his dominate form.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Business wise, it probably is dumb for both Yu or the Rangers to make a deal this spring - lot's of unknowns. That's why I don't think anything will happen here. Rangers would probably get the best deal at this point though. Overall, I actually think the opposite, I think Yu would have the most to lose by signing now because he isn't going to get the best offer coming off of a major surgery. I say this as I am pretty confident he going to get back to his dominate form.
I am pretty confident as well. That being so I wouldn't mind them offering him something now. I don't believe there is any chance they even consider it though. I think any realistic chance of them trying to negotiate an extension would have to take place after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.