• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the official 2017 OTA thread

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowen injury appears significant :(

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Phillips...

The Redskins were back on the field Wednesday for their final open practice until next week's mandatory minicamp. Some observations:

--Yes, the defense has been considerably more aggressive this year. No, I'm not reading anything into it yet. It's one thing to call a quarterback blitz during OTAs, it's another to call that play on a key third down in Philadelphia. Even Kirk Cousins seems to have picked up on the approach - on a number of occasions Wednesday, he ran up the middle without hesitation, knowing that the defense was bringing everything it had.

--The session ended with a 1-minute drill that started at midfield. Cousins extended the drive on third-and-5 with a throw to the always-dependable Jamison Crowder before finding Vernon Davis for a touchdown. That would be the last play of the workout, though, as first-year offensive lineman Kevin Bowen went down with a leg injury and had to be carted off.

--Davis was one of the stars of practice. At one point he slow-played linebacker Zach Brown then turned on his jets for an easy touchdown. Jordan Reed is still the focal point of this offense, but Davis might be the best backup tight end in the league.

--Wide receiver Ryan Grant was lined up ahead of Josh Doctson on Wednesday, and coach Jay Gruden said he'll encourage competition at all roster spots between now and the end of training camp. Doctson took some time Wednesday to ride the stationary bike, this after missing the team portion of drills last Wednesday. Gruden said none of this has anything to do with Doctson's Achilles injury.

--The Redskins used a lot of wide receiver combinations, which is something I'd expect to see this season. With so much talent and so many different sizes, it'll be a tough group to defend.

--Linebacker Martrell Spaight (shoulder) and offensive lineman Ty Nsekhe (unknown) have been partial participants in practices.

--Working out at kick returner: Maurice Harris, Chris Thompson, Will Blackmon, Jamison Crowder and Matt Hazel.

--Kicker Dustin Hopkins was once again perfect during the field goal portion of the workout.

--Tight end Derek Carrier had one of the best catches of the day, snagging a pass one-handed while his jersey was being grabbed by safety D.J. Swearinger.

--The starting defensive line was Matt Ioannidis, Ziggy Hood and Joey Mbu.

--I'd also expect Anthony Lanier to get a lot of time on the defensive line. He and Ondre Pipkins, both undrafted players, will be given the opportunity to win snaps during training camp. Lanier continues to develop in Year 2, and has become very involved with the team's charitable foundation as well.

--We'll save the bold pronouncements for after preseason games, but at this point I'm not seeing Nate Sudfeld as a viable option in 2017.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True tho you have to consider first team Oline was missing Trent and Ty
well if he did nothing then it would be an issue for sure . i think he will make a jump this year (fingers crossed )

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and grant slipping on a cut in practice