• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2015 Recruiting Thread....

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys what do yall thnk is the best recruiting site to use. I have always used Rivals until this past year. This past year I switched to 247 because they take the average score of all 4 major recruiting sites to get an average score for every recruit. So which one is the best and most dependable.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys what do yall thnk is the best recruiting site to use. I have always used Rivals until this past year. This past year I switched to 247 because they take the average score of all 4 major recruiting sites to get an average score for every recruit. So which one is the best and most dependable.

Personally I only look at the rivals site for players evaluation . Not that I think they are always correct but they at least cap the 5* they give at a certain number. Scout has way too many 5*s and well I like to think that a 5* star player is a special player and I can't take their evaluation seriously when they hand them out like cookies.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like 247, but I do wish that if they are gonna link a player on the Nebraska page then let me read the damn article without having to pay for another team page. Doesn't happen often, but when it does it is very annoying.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem, of course, with any rating system is that it is, at best, only an educated guess. Here we are, evaluating 16 and 17 year olds. It would be silly, if folks didn't take it so seriously. Sure, if a school gets a shot at a 5*, they'd be foolish not to, but the manner in which these rankings are determined in the first place is subject to deserved criticism.

First, it's pretty much a game of follow the leader. A large part of the system is based on WHO is recruiting a given player. If it's Bama, LSU, OSU, USC, or OK, everyone assumes that the player is automatically outstanding, give him a 5! If it's lower tier members of the 5 big conferences, well, that might be a four, mid-major teams then it's no more than a 3 or a 2. Next, it is highly subjective, and tends to focus on certain parts of the country. A good player from the South, Texas, California, or large states is going to get spotted. Equally good players from small states or smaller high schools sometimes get overlooked. And who knows how that kid is going to mature, or fail to mature.

Every year, the same dozen or so teams vie for the top spot. Then another couple dozen fill out the top 30. Then it's everyone else. One NEVER finds a "mid-major" school anywhere close to the top, ever, even when a school like my Boise State, scores a major coup. The 2007 and 2008 classes, for example were ranked in the high sixties by the various services. But these players took Boise into the top five of the polls, and more than a dozen of them made NFL rosters. BSU had a run in which they had a first round NFL draft choice four years running, but none of these players was ranked above a 3* originally.

But hey, it's good fodder when there is nothing else to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem, of course, with any rating system is that it is, at best, only an educated guess. Here we are, evaluating 16 and 17 year olds. It would be silly, if folks didn't take it so seriously. Sure, if a school gets a shot at a 5*, they'd be foolish not to, but the manner in which these rankings are determined in the first place is subject to deserved criticism.

First, it's pretty much a game of follow the leader. A large part of the system is based on WHO is recruiting a given player. If it's Bama, LSU, OSU, USC, or OK, everyone assumes that the player is automatically outstanding, give him a 5! If it's lower tier members of the 5 big conferences, well, that might be a four, mid-major teams then it's no more than a 3 or a 2. Next, it is highly subjective, and tends to focus on certain parts of the country. A good player from the South, Texas, California, or large states is going to get spotted. Equally good players from small states or smaller high schools sometimes get overlooked. And who knows how that kid is going to mature, or fail to mature.

Every year, the same dozen or so teams vie for the top spot. Then another couple dozen fill out the top 30. Then it's everyone else. One NEVER finds a "mid-major" school anywhere close to the top, ever, even when a school like my Boise State, scores a major coup. The 2007 and 2008 classes, for example were ranked in the high sixties by the various services. But these players took Boise into the top five of the polls, and more than a dozen of them made NFL rosters. BSU had a run in which they had a first round NFL draft choice four years running, but none of these players was ranked above a 3* originally.

But hey, it's good fodder when there is nothing else to talk about.

I'm all for it if it makes you feel better and sleep sounder at night! :rollseyes:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for it if it makes you feel better and sleep sounder at night! :rollseyes:

I sleep well, thank you very much, old friend. But now I'm going to have the lyrics to "The Fool on the Hill" in my head, thanks to your post. Rest well.

It does give me comfort that year after year, however, that your fine school leads the pack in who they bring in, but yet, they still prove themselves to be human. That's what I love about this game. I've never seen a school that stacks the deck so carefully, schedules creampuffs for OOC games, arranges byes between their few truly big games, pays a king's ransom for their coaches & recruits, bribes, er, excuse me, provides wonderful incentives for the media, and hires the best poll ballot box stuffers in the country, but yet still somehow miraculously doesn't win every single year.

The fact that my little school even elicited a response is kind of a compliment, you know. I appreciate it.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They seemed to have guessed pretty damn well on Alabama the last 8 or so years.

what is it now, 6 out of the last 8 were number 1?

I know the average Boise fan desperately wants to believe that recruiting shouldn't mean much, and it really doesn't if you don't have good coaching, but Boise lost theirs and they're never getting anyone even close to what they had, so basically find a new team because yours is doomed.

Sorry to be so honest.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They seemed to have guessed pretty damn well on Alabama the last 8 or so years.

what is it now, 6 out of the last 8 were number 1?

I know the average Boise fan desperately wants to believe that recruiting shouldn't mean much, and it really doesn't if you don't have good coaching, but Boise lost theirs and they're never getting anyone even close to what they had, so basically find a new team because yours is doomed.

Sorry to be so honest.

Basically this. No doubt they get individual recruits wrong from time to time, but overall they generally get it right.

Where stars aren't everything is when it comes to getting people that fit your system.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 recruit in the Nation Trent Thompson named a top 5 in order the other day.

#1. Georgia
#2. Alabama
#3. FSU
#4. Tennessee
#5. Auburn

Gonna be tough to beat out Georgia but I think we got a shot at him.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Rosen committed to UCLA. He's supposed to be good.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Garrett Taylor out of Richmond, VA committed to Michigan today. He had 29 offers, with Stanford & Michigan being his final two choices. Congrats to the Wolverines.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Garrett Taylor out of Richmond, VA committed to Michigan today. He had 29 offers, with Stanford & Michigan being his final two choices. Congrats to the Wolverines.

Two 2015 composite top 10 CBs to put in the secondary with Peppers....yessir.

Taylor's a big physical kid that will give plenty of run support. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at FS (or used as a NB) and Peppers (the kid is built) moves to SS at some point, if necessary. Dymonte Thomas still has 3 years of eligibility while Countess still has two. Mixing in all the other young bucks adds nice depth to the defensive backfield, which is shaping up very nicely. There are a number of combinations Mattison can run with.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if Michigan can just get back on the Damien Harris-George Campbell train, with a full head of steam...

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska is off to a hot start this year. Now ranked number 8 in the country in Rivals and 247's national team rankings.

Defensive Back University's reputation continues with an early haul of elite defensive backs.

This weekend Nebraska will host some of the elite talent in the country and likely continue to add to their already impressive 2015 class.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBU=Nebraska

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fax-girl-o.gif
:nutswing:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dream on. Texas is DBU because they have the most DBs in the NFL.

:laugh3:

Texas passing defense

2013 - 53rd
2012 - 36th
2011 - 41st
2010 - 6th
2009 - 19th
2008 - 105th
2007 - 109th

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama landed 4 big commits today at A-day.

5-star DB Minkah Fitzpatrick
5-star WR Calvin Ridley
4-star Safety Shawn Burgess-Becker
4-star LB Leo Lewis