• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The most Michigan State little brother thing ever

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phelps is an Olympic legend. Granted this was a long time ago but this Ohio Stater is also an Olympic legend...

View attachment 146751

There are not many you could name that would have been an equal comparison (more if you count how much the Nazis hated him). I had to Google it to make sure it was true. I hate you!!!

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be a lot worse, I could be a worthless nut. And we do have a history of some pretty incredible athletes.

i2262p.jpg
How can you claim Phelps? He didnt swim for MI, was born in MD and had already set records before enrolling. He only went to UM because his current coach was hired by MI.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you say that in jest, but App State did have two southern conference losses that year.
WOfferd and Georgia Southern were stacked though.

(I was only kidding. But I do think the Colorado loss was the worst.)

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could actually argue that App State team was the weakest of their three championship teams. The run Jerry Moore put together was amazing.

Still remember when Lou Holtz tried to argue that App State beating Michigan wasn't an upset. Think he said that App State is just used to winning big games.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...did Michigan State beat Michigan last year...I had forgotten.

I'm jelly about Michigan State's record recently. They are literally a field goal from being darn near a decade straight.

Michigan dominated when grandpa listened on the radio, but looking as far back as when current recruits were in grade school, little brother wears maize and blue.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan is just about the only program that can consistently lose to another team recently and still claim superiority.

From 1950 to 1969, Michigan State went 14–4–2 against Michigan (i.e. better and longer then the current good stretch). So no question MSU has been good this past decade, but.......also in that stretch were all 6 of MSU's national titles.

And following that stretch, it wouldn't be until this past decade that MSU was anywhere close to what Michigan is as a program.

So good on for the stretch, I hope you enjoyed it, because the good times are at an end.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you claim Phelps? He didnt swim for MI, was born in MD and had already set records before enrolling. He only went to UM because his current coach was hired by MI.

Did he or did he not attend classes at Michigan?
And did he or did he not help with being an assistant coach at Michigan?

You are correct, that he only attended because his coach came to Michigan, but come to Michigan he did, therefor we can claim him as a Michigan man. :thumb:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he or did he not attend classes at Michigan?
And did he or did he not help with being an assistant coach at Michigan?

You are correct, that he only attended because his coach came to Michigan, but come to Michigan he did, therefor we can claim him as a Michigan man. :thumb:
I think Jordan and Ali stepped foot in MI once, two more MI men for you. :D

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michael Jordan is the honorary captain for the first game of the year. So he will definitely be on campus. He will be walking out for the coin toss, I think.

So he is definitely a Michigan man. :rolleyes2:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I am a Michigan fan, but am not a history revisionist. The past is what it is good and bad. We haven't won shit lately and these "so called" Michigan fans who brag don't understand that little fact. If Michigan State wants to brag about their victory ... so be it.
Bragging about a victory is one thing. Writing a book about it in under a year is a bit much.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phelps was a student at UM but didn't pursue a degree, and while he never actually played for Michigan as a student athlete (because he was already sponsored and receiving money to play), he was a coach for Michigan swimming for like 4-6 years and our head coach was his Olympic coach. All and all, Phelps lived and trained in Ann Arbor for like 6 years. Considering it all, it's pretty easy for UM to claim him. He's not a former student athlete who is competing in the Olympics, but he is a former student, and coach, who is an athlete competing in the Olympics.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phelps was a former student, and coach. He was ineligible to compete for Michigan while here because he was already sponsored.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious, is writing a book about one of the most exciting/gut wrenching endings in a long time, more or less little brother than putting a spike in the ground before a meaningless game (since many ignorant Michigan fans claim that State isn't a rival) and then getting run over in the game?

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious, is writing a book about one of the most exciting/gut wrenching endings in a long time, more or less little brother than putting a spike in the ground before a meaningless game (since many ignorant Michigan fans claim that State isn't a rival) and then getting run over in the game?

Nary a thing wrong with writing a book about an epic win. All Michigan fans are just gay(except Voltaire, he gets it).

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OP wants to dwell on it. I say own it and put it behind you. Real Michigan fans don't hate Michigan State ... all of our hate is focused in one direction.

I think this is Exhibit A on why Michigan is down for the count. They no longer even pretend to have a rivalry with OSU, it's all about "little Brother" -- who has also been owning them of late.

Only a matter of weeks before we start seeing threads about how Northwestern is the "true little brother" of the Wolverines

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if you understand the extent of the Michigan/ohio state rivalry. We hate ohio state with every fiber of our being. If I wake up and find that the toilet bowl looking stadium in columbus has fallen into a giant sink hole, its a good day. Both team began hating each other because of an event that happened before they played football (the Toledo War). The hate between the two teams is relatively friendly now, except for November. In November you don't drive in Ohio with a Michigan license plate on your car (unless your donning Michigan State paraphernalia).

If the Michigan team was forbidden from playing tomorrow, I would hop on the Michigan State bandwagon in a minute (and I went to Michigan). Most of the people I know from Michigan feel the same way. We root for Michigan State when they are not playing Michigan. Do we want to beat Michigan State? Hell yeah!! Is beating Michigan State to measure of a good season? No. Is beating ohio state the measure of a good season? Hell Yeah!!!!

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if you understand the extent of the Michigan/ohio state rivalry. We hate ohio state with every fiber of our being. If I wake up and find that the toilet bowl looking stadium in columbus has fallen into a giant sink hole, its a good day. Both team began hating each other because of an event that happened before they played football (the Toledo War). The hate between the two teams is relatively friendly now, except for November. In November you don't drive in Ohio with a Michigan license plate on your car (unless your donning Michigan State paraphernalia).

If the Michigan team was forbidden from playing tomorrow, I would hop on the Michigan State bandwagon in a minute (and I went to Michigan). Most of the people I know from Michigan feel the same way. We root for Michigan State when they are not playing Michigan. Do we want to beat Michigan State? Hell yeah!! Is beating Michigan State to measure of a good season? No. Is beating ohio state the measure of a good season? Hell Yeah!!!!
Trust me, I get that Ohio State is by far and away the bigger rivalry, but you can have more than one rival.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is Exhibit A on why Michigan is down for the count. They no longer even pretend to have a rivalry with OSU, it's all about "little Brother" -- who has also been owning them of late.

Only a matter of weeks before we start seeing threads about how Northwestern is the "true little brother" of the Wolverines

I respectfully disagree. I think some of these "Michigan" posters are really ohio state of Michigan State fans trying to make Michigan look bad. They disregard history and outcomes which are not favorable to us. A true Michigan fan embraces the unfavorable and prepares for the counter attack (not like we can have an impact on the game - but we think we can).