• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitmans wife bodyguard. 9/10

Same premise as before but Selma Hayek was fucking awesome in it

Wow.

This movie was one of those movies that made me questions life, the human race and if anything really matters.

First one was solid for what it is. This one TRAINWRECK.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched a few movies over the past week.

The Last Duel - Really interesting and well done film. Damon was outstanding in it as was Comer and Driver.

I thought it was a very interesting and detailed movie of that period. But it was also very long and slow moving. Damon's character was such a nasty, selfish person and something of an idiot as well and I just wonder if we really needed to spent so much time in the movie to see that. As much as I really like historical dramas like this, I just kept failing asleep. His one redeeming quality seemed to be his support for his wife but little else.

Another very similar movie of Ridley Scotts that you may have seen was an earlier film called the Duelists about a pair of French officers who conduct a series of duels that occur throughout the length of the entire Napoleonic Wars. The same level of historical detail and the same pace and length.. If you liked the last Duel you might like this well.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having your balls ripped off by a rabid wolverine was better than the female Ghostbusters. Afterlife was better for sure but the first two Ghostbusters should have been the only Ghostbusters movies made.
Girls rule and women are funny. Get over it,

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ordinary People

Believe it or not, I had never seen this movie. I saw it was available on Paramount, so I decided to give it a try. I didn’t expect much. Not often do 40 year old movies hold up.

Boy was I wrong. Amazing movie.

8.5/10

I took off a bit because I think it hurried through the whole relationship with Karen and it could have delved a bit more into his relationship with his friends, but exploring teenaged angst was probably still a few years away (Fast Times and John Hughes movies were just around the corner).

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Being The Ricardos". I liked this more that I thought I would from just reading the reviews and criticisms of Nicole Kidman as Lucy and she was miscast for sure. I would have enjoyed it even more if it was fiction, because Nicole Kidman just ain't Lucy.. and frankly can't do comedy, though she was otherwise good in the role and is very good actress.

So the "I Love Lucy" show scenes fell flat, but fortunately there weren't many of them, because the movie was mostly about behind-the-scenes activities and relationships, focusing on a couple of weeks when Lucy discovered she was pregnant and also when she was accused publicly of being a communist. There were also good flashback scenes of Lucy & Desi meeting and when the show was offered to her and the controversy over casting Desi (a Cuban OMG!) as her hubby. Not bad at all if you can get past Kidman trying to be funny. 7/10.. docked a notch for Kidman as Lucy.

Last edited:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Being The Ricardos". I liked this more that I thought I would from just reading the reviews and criticisms of Nicole Kidman as Lucy and she was miscast for sure. I would have enjoyed it even more if it was fiction, because Nicole Kidman just ain't Lucy.. and frankly can't do comedy, though she was otherwise good in the role and is very good actress.

So The I Lucy Show scenes fell flat, but fortunately there weren't many of them, because the movie was more about behind-the-scenes activities and relationships, focusing on a couple of weeks when Lucy discovered she was pregnant and also when she was accused publicly of being a communist. Not bad at all if you can get past Kidman trying to be funny. 7/10.. docked a notch for Kidman as Lucy.

I had a greater problem with Bardem as Dezi Arnaz..

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a greater problem with Bardem as Dezi Arnaz..

Really? I didn't and I even tried to look for that. Maybe it's because Desi isn't as fixed in my mind as the legendary figure/performer that Lucy was. I thought J.K Simmons was the only one who really came close to resembling the person they were portraying.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I didn't and I even tried to look for that. Maybe it's because Desi isn't as fixed in my mind as the legendary figure/performer that Lucy was. I thought J.K Simmons was the only one who really came close to resembling the person they were portraying.

Sorry, that is what I meant.

Willima Frawley was perfect.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JK Simmons is damn near perfect in everything he is cast in. He really is one of the best actors going today.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Nightmare Alley". A noir psychological thriller. Bradley Cooper as a 1940s drifter who latches on with a carnival, develops a psychic act/scam and then goes out on his own with Rooney Mara as his assistant & lover. He gets involved with an audience member psychologist, Cate Blanchett, who has plans to use him and his skills for her own purposes. It should have been great with that cast, director and theme. But it was not great, imo. It wasn't bad and there were some fine performances, but it never really grabbed me.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eyes of Tammy Faye. Your tolerance may depend upon how you feel about Tammy Faye Bakker and evangelical Christianity in general. Some of the RT reviews panning it were basically upset that the movie treated her too positively and did not go after televangelists with the fervor they had hoped. They seemed upset that the way the movie portrayed her and what she did, was not how they wanted her and what she did to be portrayed. Reviews like that bug me. Anyway, it was on HBO so I gave it try. I enjoyed it and Jessica Chastain deserved her Oscar. 7/10

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eyes of Tammy Faye. Your tolerance may depend upon how you feel about Tammy Faye Bakker and evangelical Christianity in general. Some of the RT reviews panning it were basically upset that the movie treated her too positively and did not go after televangelists with the fervor they had hoped. They seemed upset that the way the movie portrayed her and what she did, was not how they wanted her and what she did to be portrayed. Reviews like that bug me. Anyway, it was on HBO so I gave it try. I enjoyed it and Jessica Chastain deserved her Oscar. 7/10
Seemed like a bad lifetime movie to me the parts I caughr....

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed like a bad lifetime movie to me the parts I caughr....

I can understand how you might come away thinking that. There were some maudlin scenes but I think that was intentional due to the nature of the person and subject matter. I'd forgotten how different she was from other folks in that game, if I ever actually was aware.. never really paid much attention to her during her life, tbh. She was basically a punch line due to her look and childlike manner, which was apparently very genuine. It's not for everyone.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Apartment (1960)

Best Picture winner starring Jack Lemon, Fred McMurray and Shirley MacLaine. A fun little plot about a guy working in amongst a seaful of people in a NYC hi-rise, choosing to work his way up the ladder by lending his apartment out so his philandering bosses can have quickies. It has some nice humor, good story and well-acted.

A

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JK Simmons is damn near perfect in everything he is cast in. He really is one of the best actors going today.

Yup.

He’s really good.

I’m trying to think of the last role/movie he’s been bad in.

He was even good in justice league unlimited

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

He’s really good.

He was good in Palm Springs. He may have actually been what gave that movie some actual weight.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

He’s really good.

I even don’t hate his commercials :noidea:

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We watched some old movie that was called 1984, and was set In that dystopian future world. But, it wasn't the plot of 1984, the book by Orwell. It was a sci-fi movie with a lot of unknown actors playing parts no one would recognize. It still had an hour to run after we sat through the first two hours. We turned it off and went to sleep.

I reminded me of the movie version of Starship Troopers, another sci-fi movie based on the future society of the Heinlein book, but lacking the story. At least Starship Troopers had naked tits and ass, because the premise of a non-technical insect society attacking earth by throwing giant rocks at us from the other side of the Galaxy was preposterous.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been watching a lot of movies from archive.org lately. Their search functionality isn't very good, but I've discovered that google is smart enough to do the searching for me. When I search for "archive.org title year", if archive.org has the movie, usually it's at the top of the search results.

Here are some recent highlights:

The Iron Curtain (1948)
based on the true story of Soviet espionage in Canada during and shortly after WW 2.

Beginning of the End (1957)
one of many B- sci-fi movies starring Peter Graves. This one features swarms of giant grasshoppers overrunning everything in their path.

The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)
very funny movie about an author on a book tour who slips and breaks his leg, forcing him to stay in the home of a midwestern family that he has nothing in common with. Strong cast featuring Betty Davis and Jimmy Durante, among others.