• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Expendables and The Expendables 2

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Project Power.... dumb. Not trying to make it seem like its the worst thing I have seen, but it sucks and it sucks to see good actors in Joseph Gordon Levitt and Jamie Foxx do bad things. Being perfectly honest, they weren't all that great either, but I am kind of applying it to the film itself. Just a bad movie. Poorly written, executed.... it comes off like someone just said 'what if someone took a pill and got a power' and decided to make a movie about it and made it up as they went.

3 or 4 out of 10. I don't know how generous I want to be yet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Body Cam (2020)

Pretty good horror/thriller movie. Releasing it in this current climate definitely plays up the political angle. They didn't dwell on it much so don't worry. Just an intro scene was really all that pushed that agenda. Pretty cool movie after that. Good cgi/fx and decent amounts of gore, but the story was somewhat meh.

6.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Project Power.... dumb. Not trying to make it seem like its the worst thing I have seen, but it sucks and it sucks to see good actors in Joseph Gordon Levitt and Jamie Foxx do bad things. Being perfectly honest, they weren't all that great either, but I am kind of applying it to the film itself. Just a bad movie. Poorly written, executed.... it comes off like someone just said 'what if someone took a pill and got a power' and decided to make a movie about it and made it up as they went.

Exactly my thoughts as well... Very weak plot progression & script.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I did it. I sat down and watched Parasite last night. 9.5/10....maybe even better (I hate to give anything 10/10).

First off....did anyone else notice the many teams where they spoke words in English? It almost pulled me out of the story a few times. The subtitles would continue but those English spoken words would italicize in the subtitle. I googled on this..to no avail.

This....is excellent story telling. The Kim family is very nuanced and interesting. Not admirable per se, but interesting. The Park family is even interesting in their own peculiarities. This is not a white hat/black hat movie, it’s more nuanced and subtle. And that might be why some didn’t get the movie much, especially the second half of the movie.

What was so subtly laid out throughout the movie comes into play in the end. Perhaps we are too accustomed to Hollywood basically bashing us over the head with exposition that leads to climax that it’s not so easily caught when it’s laid so subtly.

But things like the Senior Kim talking about why he never has a plan, or Mr Park often talking about “crossing the line” are subtle, but well laid out in leading up to their contribution to the climax.

I really liked that I spent 2.25 hours reading the screen and still could follow the acting performances fully. I’m not often keen on reading the screen, but this was so worth it.

This is great societal commentary. If you prefer the work to be done for you through massive exposition you won’t like this much. It will feel like a chore. But if you like to be engrossed deeply in great story telling this movie is for you.

This is totally worth all the acolytes it has received!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I did it. I sat down and watched Parasite last night. 9.5/10....maybe even better (I hate to give anything 10/10).

First off....did anyone else notice the many teams where they spoke words in English? It almost pulled me out of the story a few times. The subtitles would continue but those English spoken words would italicize in the subtitle. I googled on this..to no avail.

This....is excellent story telling. The Kim family is very nuanced and interesting. Not admirable per se, but interesting. The Park family is even interesting in their own peculiarities. This is not a white hat/black hat movie, it’s more nuanced and subtle. And that might be why some didn’t get the movie much, especially the second half of the movie.

What was so subtly laid out throughout the movie comes into play in the end. Perhaps we are too accustomed to Hollywood basically bashing us over the head with exposition that leads to climax that it’s not so easily caught when it’s laid so subtly.

But things like the Senior Kim talking about why he never has a plan, or Mr Park often talking about “crossing the line” are subtle, but well laid out in leading up to their contribution to the climax.

I really liked that I spent 2.25 hours reading the screen and still could follow the acting performances fully. I’m not often keen on reading the screen, but this was so worth it.

This is great societal commentary. If you prefer the work to be done for you through massive exposition you won’t like this much. It will feel like a chore. But if you like to be engrossed deeply in great story telling this movie is for you.

It received religious followers? That’s odd...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't expecting to like it nearly as much as I did. Great flick. It deserved the Oscar even in that fairly strong field.. the strongest best picture field they've had in several years imo.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idiocracy.. again. It's been years. It's still very funny.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just finished watching this. I thought it was okay but like most Netflix movies, once you watch it, there's really no desire to ever want to bother watching it again. It ended up just being a movie where a guys daughter gets kidnapped and wants to find her and get revenge on those responsible. Joseph Gordon Levitt I felt like was phoning it in throughout the whole movie as well. I'd rank it a little higher than you but not much more at a 5 out of 10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished watching this. I thought it was okay but like most Netflix movies, once you watch it, there's really no desire to ever want to bother watching it again. It ended up just being a movie where a guys daughter gets kidnapped and wants to find her and get revenge on those responsible. Joseph Gordon Levitt I felt like was phoning it in throughout the whole movie as well. I'd rank it a little higher than you but not much more at a 5 out of 10.

I also thought JGL did not do a really good job. I noticed a bad attempt at an accent in the beginning and never really heard it again throughout the film lol, he either oversold or undersold pretty much everything. It felt like he was there for comic relief... but he wasn't funny either. Idk.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought JGL did not do a really good job. I noticed a bad attempt at an accent in the beginning and never really heard it again throughout the film lol, he either oversold or undersold pretty much everything. It felt like he was there for comic relief... but he wasn't funny either. Idk.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that accent lol
He felt like the third wheel, clueless guy that has no idea about anything, even when it's right there in front of his face but yet somehow does something useful by the end of the movie.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Devil All The Time...

Haven't seen it yet, dropped today on Netflix.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SportsHoopla PF has a movie ?

Yer a glorified dog walker.
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't expecting to like it nearly as much as I did. Great flick. It deserved the Oscar even in that fairly strong field.. the strongest best picture field they've had in several years imo.

I remember my first reaction to be pissed it won, but needed to remind myself that I hadn’t seen Parasite, so how could I know?

Now....I know.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Devil All The Time...

Haven't seen it yet, dropped today on Netflix.

Ohhhhh....that’s intriguing

And that’s Robert Pattinson. Going by the trailer only....maybe he does have some chops?

What an age we live in where I don’t have to wait 9 months after release to rent a movie like this....

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhh....that’s intriguing

And that’s Robert Pattinson. Going by the trailer only....maybe he does have some chops?

What an age we live in where I don’t have to wait 9 months after release to rent a movie like this....

Sorry, man....I got the 16th right, but it is September. Pissed me off.