• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Iupati / Crabtree Re-sign or Don't Thread

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea and we have both Martin's who can play a couple spots, so if we are spending 7-8 mil on someone I would rather spend it on Crabs

I think I'd rather spend 7-8 million on a free agent WR. The list is pretty good. Crabtree doesn't crack the top 10 of that free agent list.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think I'd rather spend 7-8 million on a free agent WR. The list is pretty good. Crabtree doesn't crack the top 10 of that free agent list.

Is this the list you're referring to?

Torrey Smith
Demaryius Thomas
Reggie Wayne
Jeremy Maclin
Hakeem Nicks
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Randall Cobb
Roddy White
Wes Welker
Michael Crabtree

If we're assuming a return to full health - and I think we have to if we're talking those kinds of figures - there's no way that Crabtree is the worst guy on that list (eleven guys, so only one is outside the top-10). Wayne will be 36 going into next season, and will turn 37 during the season. Assuming that he comes back healthy, he's still a good receiver, but there's no way he's more deserving of a larger, multi-year deal than Crabtree. The same goes for White, who will be 33 going on 34 next season. Welker is going to be 34 before the start of next season, and though I hesitate to bet against him, he doesn't really fit our team well enough to justify spending big money on him. If you're suggesting a one-year contract, then I'd consider these guys. But they aren't deserving of more than a healthy Crabtree IMO.

As far as the younger guys, Torrey Smith is a one-dimensional player who isn't close to the complete receiver that Crabtree is. Maclin has been solid to date, but is also coming off a serious injury and hasn't proven he can produce as a #1 receiver the way Crabtree did over the second half of 2012. His worth depends at least as much on this season as Crabtree's does. Nicks hasn't had a big season in two years. He never looked right last season, and needs to show he's even close to where he was in 2011. And while Cobb is nifty, he's got injury concerns and isn't really a primary WR guy.

Of the guys on that list, I struggle to say anyone other than Thomas, Bryant, and Nelson is clearly better/worth more than Crabtree. Now, I'm hardly a fan of throwing a lot of money at Crabtree, but I just don't have faith in this team to develop a WR. If this was the Packers, and we were mulling these two players, I'd say we should definitely keep Iupati over Crabtree. That's hardly our situation, though.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he's healthy and factoring age into the equation, I'd rather Crabtree than all but Thomas and Bryant on that list.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is this the list you're referring to?

Torrey Smith
Demaryius Thomas
Reggie Wayne
Jeremy Maclin
Hakeem Nicks
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Randall Cobb
Roddy White
Wes Welker
Michael Crabtree

If we're assuming a return to full health - and I think we have to if we're talking those kinds of figures - there's no way that Crabtree is the worst guy on that list (eleven guys, so only one is outside the top-10). Wayne will be 36 going into next season, and will turn 37 during the season. Assuming that he comes back healthy, he's still a good receiver, but there's no way he's more deserving of a larger, multi-year deal than Crabtree. The same goes for White, who will be 33 going on 34 next season. Welker is going to be 34 before the start of next season, and though I hesitate to bet against him, he doesn't really fit our team well enough to justify spending big money on him. If you're suggesting a one-year contract, then I'd consider these guys. But they aren't deserving of more than a healthy Crabtree IMO.

As far as the younger guys, Torrey Smith is a one-dimensional player who isn't close to the complete receiver that Crabtree is. Maclin has been solid to date, but is also coming off a serious injury and hasn't proven he can produce as a #1 receiver the way Crabtree did over the second half of 2012. His worth depends at least as much on this season as Crabtree's does. Nicks hasn't had a big season in two years. He never looked right last season, and needs to show he's even close to where he was in 2011. And while Cobb is nifty, he's got injury concerns and isn't really a primary WR guy.

Of the guys on that list, I struggle to say anyone other than Thomas, Bryant, and Nelson is clearly better/worth more than Crabtree. Now, I'm hardly a fan of throwing a lot of money at Crabtree, but I just don't have faith in this team to develop a WR. If this was the Packers, and we were mulling these two players, I'd say we should definitely keep Iupati over Crabtree. That's hardly our situation, though.

For the same money, I'd easily take Thomas, Bryant, Nelson and White over Crabtree.
Nicks and Torrey Smith are about the same.

If you compare Crabtree to our WRs, if Stevie Johnson has a comeback year I think it's a wash between Crabtree, Boldin and Johnson for best WR on the team. And you can have Stevie or Boldin for about $5M a year so why pay more for Crabtree?

If I am going to spend $8-$10M a year on a WR I want him to be Demaryius Thomas.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For the same money, I'd easily take Thomas, Bryant, Nelson and White over Crabtree.
Nicks and Torrey Smith are about the same.

If you compare Crabtree to our WRs, if Stevie Johnson has a comeback year I think it's a wash between Crabtree, Boldin and Johnson for best WR on the team. And you can have Stevie or Boldin for about $5M a year so why pay more for Crabtree?

If I am going to spend $8-$10M a year on a WR I want him to be Demaryius Thomas.

You said he's not top-10 on the FA list. Now he's tied for fifth? And the tie part is a little beyond me. Crabtree was playing as well as Nicks last year even after rushing back from injury. IMO, Nicks has more to prove in terms of coming back than Crabtree. Smith is a very good deep threat, but he's not a complete receiver. As the go-to guy last year, he had four TDs. He's not on the same level as a healthy Crabtree playing with Kap.

I don't disagree that I don't want to overpay for Crabtree, but Boldin isn't a longterm solution, and Stevie Johnson is more of a top-end #2 than a #1. Again, if I had any faith in this coaching staff to develop WRs, it would be a different story. But given our track record, I think we'd be silly not to at least look into extending Crabtree.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way everyone holding out. We wont have money for either. Boone and VD demanding new deals..ugh!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The way everyone holding out. We wont have money for either. Boone and VD demanding new deals..ugh!

no doubt! Baalke has no choice but hold the line, give in just once and everyone else starts demanding. many players NFL wide are unhappy, but in the end they have to continue playing.

if this persists, does it make it harder for Baalke to extend other 49ers near future?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no doubt! Baalke has no choice but hold the line, give in just once and everyone else starts demanding. many players NFL wide are unhappy, but in the end they have to continue playing.

if this persists, does it make it harder for Baalke to extend other 49ers near future?

I don't think so. The Niners reward their star players. As noted in the OTA thread, Davis was the highest-paid TE in the league when we extended him. It's not like another player wouldn't take that kind of deal now. There is some chance that discontentment on the part of Boone and Staley would lead guys to be reluctant to take longer, lower deals as younger players. But Brock signed a contract like that earlier this year. The reality is that young, poorly paid (relatively) players will likely be willing to extend to get some job stability. Though the new CBA makes it a bit harder on the Niners to operate the way they want.

Based

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are a power run team, so Iupati by far is the more relevant player that needs to extended outside of Kap and Aldon Smith. The 49ers are running the ball more than half the time, so essentially Iupatis role in our offense is a bit bigger than Crabtrees. Crabtree is a good WR and elevated Kaps game on the field, but he's replaceable. He drops passes from time to time and also had that costly fumble in the super bowl at the goal line that really became a game changer. Both guys have their flaws and both are good players many teams would love to have, but Iupati is by far the better player and more important to the 49ers future. Im sure Iupatis price tag will be lower than Crabtrees. WRs ask for a lot more money, especially a diva like Crabtree. I'd like to see them both return, but that will be impossible unless they eliminate the salary cap. I also want to see Kap get an extension after this season. For the money he's asking right now, he's not playing like it. If SF is looking to win a SB, this is the year to do it. We cant expect every draft pick to take over and play exceptionally well. Most drafted players are busts.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather keep Iupati, Crabtree, Aldon, and Boone over Kap.

Ha,I will take our franchise QB and 1 or 2 of the other guys instead of losing Kap. It is a QB league, you better have a good one or you wont win shit. Aldon isnt getting a new contract after the crap he has pulled, he is lucky to be on the team. So give me Kaep and either Crabs or Iupati. Let Boone walk, he is our worst OL and we drafted a couple guys that can take his spot next season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ha,I will take our franchise QB and 1 or 2 of the other guys instead of losing Kap. It is a QB league, you better have a good one or you wont win shit. Aldon isnt getting a new contract after the crap he has pulled, he is lucky to be on the team. So give me Kaep and either Crabs or Iupati. Let Boone walk, he is our worst OL and we drafted a couple guys that can take his spot next season.

I disagree. If he keeps his nose clean over the next two seasons - granted that's a pretty big if at this point - I would be shocked if he didn't get a very fat contract.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are a power run team, so Iupati by far is the more relevant player that needs to extended outside of Kap and Aldon Smith. The 49ers are running the ball more than half the time, so essentially Iupatis role in our offense is a bit bigger than Crabtrees. Crabtree is a good WR and elevated Kaps game on the field, but he's replaceable. He drops passes from time to time and also had that costly fumble in the super bowl at the goal line that really became a game changer. Both guys have their flaws and both are good players many teams would love to have, but Iupati is by far the better player and more important to the 49ers future. Im sure Iupatis price tag will be lower than Crabtrees. WRs ask for a lot more money, especially a diva like Crabtree. I'd like to see them both return, but that will be impossible unless they eliminate the salary cap. I also want to see Kap get an extension after this season. For the money he's asking right now, he's not playing like it. If SF is looking to win a SB, this is the year to do it. We cant expect every draft pick to take over and play exceptionally well. Most drafted players are busts.

Couple issues with this post. 1st Crabs fumbled in the 12 NFCC not the Super Bowl and since we won that game it wasn't costly. 2nd it is fine to believe Iputai is more important than Crabs but we can't pay Iputai without giving a raise to Staley too and the FO can't do both next season. Also Iputai will get around 10 mill per year which is about the most Crabs will get.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. If he keeps his nose clean over the next two seasons - granted that's a pretty big if at this point - I would be shocked if he didn't get a very fat contract.

I will take the wait and see approach with him, two years is a long time for him to be a good boy

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Now that Kaepernick's deal is done, the Niners are free to use the franchise tag on either Iupati or Crabtree.

I don't think Crabtree is worth franchise WR money. Iupati, however, is worth franchise guard money IMO. I think this is the best way to go because that'll mean Iupati will be a 49er the next 2 years. And it'll give the young guys 2 years to get comfortable with the offense. Also, it'll prevent the post-long-term-contract dip in production. And it'll give the Niners a better idea of whether or not he's going to be healthy in the long term.

I think tagging Iupati is a good compromise between a long-term deal and letting him walk. The following year the tag will need to be saved for Aldon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now that Kaepernick's deal is done, the Niners are free to use the franchise tag on either Iupati or Crabtree.

I don't think Crabtree is worth franchise WR money. Iupati, however, is worth franchise guard money IMO. I think this is the best way to go because that'll mean Iupati will be a 49er the next 2 years. And it'll give the young guys 2 years to get comfortable with the offense. Also, it'll prevent the post-long-term-contract dip in production. And it'll give the Niners a better idea of whether or not he's going to be healthy in the long term.

I think tagging Iupati is a good compromise between a long-term deal and letting him walk. The following year the tag will need to be saved for Aldon.

Do they do franchise tags by OL divisions? I think there's just an OL tag, so it would basically be LT money, not OG money.

NFL releases 2014 franchise, transition tag numbers - NFL.com

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know man, 11.5 million is a lot of money to throw at a guard for one year. If he's the Potty of a couple years ago maybe, but I thought he took a step back last year (when he wasn't sidelined with an injury).

Am I off base? Do you think he played at an elite level last year or, if not, that it can all be chalked up to injury that he should get over?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Still cheaper than the WR numbers, and I'm not saying Iupati isn't worth it, just saying it's a solid chunk of change.