• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Giants Bumgarner is AP Athlete of The Year

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to reports, the Giants Bumgarner is the AP Athlete of the Year. His performance in the World series is for the ages and he truly deserves it. Congratulations!

"Bumgarner finished first in a vote by U.S. editors and news directors. He beat out Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw _ who won the National League Cy Young and MVP but lost to Bumgarner's Giants in the playoffs. Retiring New York Yankees star Derek Jeter and golfer Rory McIlroy tied for third place. The award was announced Tuesday."

"Bumgarner was MVP of the World Series and NL Championship Series, going 4-1 during the postseason following an 18-10 regular season.
From his four-hit, 10-strikeout gem that got things started in an 8-0 wild-card win at Pittsburgh all the way through his brilliant relief outing in Game 7 of the World Series, Bumgarner dazzled like never before.
"He pitched a different game than we had seen from him earlier in the season,'' Pirates manager Clint Hurdle recalled recently. "We had watched video and saw how much sharper he had gotten as the season played out. In the wild-card game he had command of all his pitches and lived on the edges the entire outing. He also used his fastball up in the zone with deadly accuracy.'' Read more from Madison Bumgarner of San Francisco Giants named AP male athlete of year - ESPN

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no prob with his collecting these accolades, but...

He beat out Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw _ who won the National League Cy Young and MVP but lost to Bumgarner's Giants in the playoffs.

Seriously? Seriously??

And they wonder why we have no faith in the media today.

JR Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great choice go giants

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He earned it. Absolutely best World Series performance I've seen since Reggie Jackson's 3 homers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He earned it. Absolutely best World Series performance I've seen since Reggie Jackson's 3 homers.

Jackson's 3-HR performance has been done four other times, and twice since. Bum's game 7 performance ALONE, let alone the bigger picture of what he did in the Series, is something I can't imagine we will see again in our lifetimes.

Everything in sports essentially cones down to the Championships. If something like that happens, it HAS to trump just about anything that happened in the regular season.

I am not a 'shaw hater. I think he is a beast, and is actually getting a pretty bad rap for his post-season woes. Donnie Baseball and a lack of bully are more to blame, IMHO, for his troubles.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good choice he earned it with his playoff prowess. Fucker!

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson's 3-HR performance has been done four other times, and twice since. Bum's game 7 performance ALONE, let alone the bigger picture of what he did in the Series, is something I can't imagine we will see again in our lifetimes.

Everything in sports essentially cones down to the Championships. If something like that happens, it HAS to trump just about anything that happened in the regular season.

I am not a 'shaw hater. I think he is a beast, and is actually getting a pretty bad rap for his post-season woes. Donnie Baseball and a lack of bully are more to blame, IMHO, for his troubles.

Thanks for reminding me calisnowskier. I didn't see Babe Ruth's two WS games. I forgot about Pujols and Panda did it. But they all pale in comparison with Madison's performance, which is what I was saying.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for reminding me calisnowskier. I didn't see Babe Ruth's two WS games. I forgot about Pujols and Panda did it. But they all pale in comparison with Madison's performance, which is what I was saying.

It seems like you were saying Bumgarner's feat was the best you've seen SINCE Reggie, meaning Reggis is comparable. As you just said, though, Reggie's has been done. Bumgarner's not ever.

Interesting aside re Reggie's 3 HRs...they were all on the first pitch (I believe)

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no prob with his collecting these accolades, but...

Seriously? Seriously??

And they wonder why we have no faith in the media today.

What he did at the world series was exceptional. There are no ifs and buts about it.He truly deserves it and the media got it right.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he did at the world series was exceptional. There are no ifs and buts about it.He truly deserves it and the media got it right.

Whoosh!

Wow, calsnow's comment really went over your head.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoosh!

Wow, calsnow's comment really went over your head.

Got it. He was referencing the media's take on Kershaw's regular season accolade versus championship by Bumgarner and I was referring to the media's vote for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut tells me if Bumgarner was just another guy this last postseason, the Royals win the series in 5. I certainly have no qualms about Bum getting this award.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him, congrats.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just happy the award went to a baseball player. good to see

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. He was referencing the media's take on Kershaw's regular season accolade versus championship by Bumgarner and I was referring to the media's vote for him.

Look at the highlighted portion in my post...