• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Fantasy "Experts"

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who read their stuff, who's your best and who's your worst?

For me:

Best: Scott Pianowski, Yahoo. He's not always right, but he's got pretty good instincts and always writes an interesting column. I know it's killing him to rank Liriano as high as he has been.

Worst: Nando Di Fino, CBS: Who did this guy marry to get the job? His rankings are insane and his "hot" picks are laughable. Dayan Viciedo will hit 35 HRs this year? Please. I do, however, read his stuff just to see where he's gonna go next.

Honorable Mention: Any of the number/stats guys. They may be a little boring, but at least their stuff is based on logic.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who read their stuff, who's your best and who's your worst?

For me:

Best: Scott Pianowski, Yahoo. He's not always right, but he's got pretty good instincts and always writes an interesting column. I know it's killing him to rank Liriano as high as he has been.

Worst: Nando Di Fino, CBS: Who did this guy marry to get the job? His rankings are insane and his "hot" picks are laughable. Dayan Viciedo will hit 35 HRs this year? Please. I do, however, read his stuff just to see where he's gonna go next.

Honorable Mention: Any of the number/stats guys. They may be a little boring, but at least their stuff is based on logic.

Pianowski is up there for me too. I also like pretty much all of the rotoworld writers. They are succinct and timely.

Di Fino is pretty awful, but I think Brad Evans is worse. He is so full of bluster and he single-handedly drives up the ADP of many Y! sleepers to the point they are poor values. Most of his analysis is based on speculation of the best case and has little root in fact.

Also, I have come to find any article that Salfino does to be somewhat pointless. Just check his definition for a dominant start in his last article and you will see what I am talking about. His analysis doesn't seem at all useful to me.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I have come to find any article that Salfino does to be somewhat pointless. Just check his definition for a dominant start in his last article and you will see what I am talking about. His analysis doesn't seem at all useful to me.

That's a big 10-4 on Safino. I started to read that article, saw Hughes at #14, and moved on. :lol:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a big 10-4 on Safino. I started to read that article, saw Hughes at #14, and moved on. :lol:
His definition of a "dominant start" is:

at least 6 IP with no more than 2 ERs, no more than 8 base-runners and at least 6 Ks.

If you take the minimum there you have:

6 IP with a 3.00 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP with 6 Ks.

That is a start I will take on most days, but I wouldn't be excited about it. That is nowhere near dominant. Any decent K pitcher who can get through 7 innings with 2 ERs is going to be on there.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pianowski is in my top group, but my favorite would be Eric Mack. I miss the rookie coverage he gave on CBS, but now that he's on SI he's not as restricted on his content and much more enjoyable.
Rounding out the top 3 would be Howard Bender on Fangraphs (there are a number on fangraphs but he gets honorable mention). He does the kicking rocks articles if you've ever seen them.

Who's the worst..............:scratch:, well you mentioned two good ones already but off the top of my head, Brandon Funston. Eddie Munster is completely clueless at times and if he didn't have the yahoo rankings in front of him he'd be lost. I'd throw Brad Evans in there, but he does make me laugh at times and every group needs some comic relief.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Di Fino just wants to be different for the chance he's right on 1 major sleeper out of 50! I think Melchior (spelling?) is crazy terrible and White is a flip flopper who just goes by what's happening.

Don't really read the Yahoo guys stuff.

Not a big fan of Eno Sarris either, but he gets all the hype.

I like the ESPN podcast guys on Fantasy Focus. And I poke around on Fangraphs, but don't read so much as to say I have favorites.

My real favorites are you guys (that goes for the football side too) ... and I'm serious, I'd rather get/hear your opinions than seek out any of the guys mentioned.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Sarris either. I don't like that I can tell you what sandwiches he eats every day haha. But, yeah, his rankings and analysis I think are weak.
The fangraphs guys are good. I like Brett Sayre from dynasty gurus.
I never read a yahoo or espn guy or even a cbs guy, unless you guys have posted here.
Mostly I just follow about 150 baseball guys on twitter and click on links that sound interesting.
Most of my info comes from there. Usually by the time they're in the big leagues I'm already enamored and very little changes my (stubborn-ass) mind. What I like is up to date info quick and twitter is as fast as they come.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pianowski is in my top group, but my favorite would be Eric Mack. I miss the rookie coverage he gave on CBS, but now that he's on SI he's not as restricted on his content and much more enjoyable.
Rounding out the top 3 would be Howard Bender on Fangraphs (there are a number on fangraphs but he gets honorable mention). He does the kicking rocks articles if you've ever seen them.

Who's the worst..............:scratch:, well you mentioned two good ones already but off the top of my head, Brandon Funston. Eddie Munster is completely clueless at times and if he didn't have the yahoo rankings in front of him he'd be lost. I'd throw Brad Evans in there, but he does make me laugh at times and every group needs some comic relief.

Funston is pretty bad. When they do the Friends and Family league, he finishes bottom 3 almost every time. They play roto, yet he is always in love with players who have little category juice. HRs and SBs rule the roto game.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I forgot about Mack, I like him a lot. Not so much his colleague Beller, though. I still say nothing matches Di Fino for comic relief. The man is still trying to make Carlos Marmol relevant.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Mack, I like him a lot. Not so much his colleague Beller, though. I still say nothing matches Di Fino for comic relief. The man is still trying to make Carlos Marmol relevant.

Carlos Marmol relevant...........now That's funny.:laugh3:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Nando, in his hitting planner this week, he gave the kiss of death to my Grandal -- but the funny part (or at least to me), was under the "worth a second look" spot was Adrian Gonzalez. I mean, what kind of leagues are we talking about when Adrian is benched/unowned? ... and why is it worth talking about? and if it is specific to (I don't know) 8 team leagues, then why is it in my league? Just another example of how terrible CBS is... (other than their scoreboard) -- thank goodness I don't rely on these guys, as some newbies/busy players might... poor souls.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Nando, in his hitting planner this week, he gave the kiss of death to my Grandal -- but the funny part (or at least to me), was under the "worth a second look" spot was Adrian Gonzalez. I mean, what kind of leagues are we talking about when Adrian is benched/unowned? ... and why is it worth talking about? and if it is specific to (I don't know) 8 team leagues, then why is it in my league? Just another example of how terrible CBS is... (other than their scoreboard) -- thank goodness I don't rely on these guys, as some newbies/busy players might... poor souls.

This is a man who has Josh Donaldson ranked as the 31st best third baseman. He has Todd Frazier ranked 9th. He also has Moustakas, Middlebrooks, Chisenhall and Arenado all ranked above Donaldson.

Either he's insane, or he's doing some really good drugs. :what:

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy cow, I'm surprised there is a fairly active fantasy baseball forum here...never noticed it before.

Nice.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nando's latest prediction: Derek Jeter will return to his glory days of hitting in the Yankees lineup.

As outlandish as it may sound, this one may actually have a kernel of truth to it; if there's one guy I would never underestimate, it's Derek Jeter.

Will this be, as TKO put it, the 1 in 50 pick that Nando gets right?

We shall see.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how much candy you've got, I'm not getting in that van.

You are probably unaware of this, but thank you Jim for reminding me of CBS poster Indyjim. On the main MLB board there, he was teased mercilessly for years about being a *********, and owning and driving a window-less panal van.

Good times..........

P.S: Does this guy live in his van, and, if so, does he park down by the river?

Matt Foley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter's debut: 1-4 with an RBI.

Right now, Nando is doing this in the mirror: :hail:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter's debut: 1-4 with an RBI.

Right now, Nando is doing this in the mirror: :hail:

And yet, some things in life are constants -

D. Jeter grounded out to shortstop

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably unaware of this, but thank you Jim for reminding me of CBS poster Indyjim. On the main MLB board there, he was teased mercilessly for years about being a *********, and owning and driving a window-less panal van.
Good times..........
P.S: Does this guy live in his van, and, if so, does he park down by the river?
Matt Foley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nando's latest nugget of wisdom: If you need saves, make a trade offer for Mariano Rivera.

Well, at least I can't say this advice is insane. :laugh3: