• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 78 Texas Tech 67

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV has now played two conference games and has 2 wins by an identical score of 78-67. Much like the score, the game plan was the same as well. Press, press, and press some more until the TO's mount up and you can pull away. TT commits 22 TO's tonight and the Mountaineer's get 17 more FG attempts. So by now you fans are starting to get a good dose of the strategy here, i.e. if you get more shots, you don't have to shoot 50% or better to win. Now this is exactly what Huggins & Co. are doing every game and it has worked beautifully so far. TT guards tonight were attacking the press and stepping out and hitting 3's (7-12)which I felt was only reason they didn't get blown out by 20. Hats off to TT and Tubby Smith--they had a good game plan but in the end, the TO's got them.

WV gets Staten back after a severe bout with the flu but Jawan was showing the effects of the illness going 1-8 in the 1st half; however, Staten lit it up in the 2nd half scoring 13 of his 16 points to lead the Mountaineers to the victory. 5 players hit double figures tonight with Williams having one of his best games as Mountaineer with 14 points, 6 rebounds on 6-8 shooting. Browne and Miles, Jr. add 12 a piece while Carter adds 11. The battle of the glass was a dead draw at 35-35.

WV didn't play its best game tonight but it once again controlled the tempo in stretches of the game that require long offensive possessions in order to hang on and win. They did that very nicely in the last 2 games. I don't know if pressing makes you more calm late in the game when the score is close but WV handles it well. Their has been no panic late in any game this year. I was surprised we didn't see Macon tonight. I wonder if that is the flu or the doghouse? I have never seen a flu season like this one. It seems it is highly contagious and long lasting. I was diagnosed with pneumonia on Sunday and it has wore my ass out. In fact, I feel like a bag of beat dicks. So on that note---Have a great week Mountaineer fans where ever your Country Road has taken you! Now lets get ready for Iowa State!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read tonight that Macon has sore ribs. In typical Huggy fashion, he questioned his toughness in his post game presser. Mentioned a time when Butler was told by trainers not to go vs. Nova, but he played anyway and scored 43.

As we've seen several times so far this season, the team looks better in the 2nd half. Tonight they caught up in rebounds, shot 64%, and stretched the lead.

Looks like a pattern to me...

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - I think TT had a 8 or 9 rebound lead at the half and was matching WV shot for shot.
I watched TT play OU on Saturday and I was impressed with the fight in this young team.
Staten got his wind and rythmn back in the 2nd and seemed to inspire the whole team.
I was very impressed with Williams - he's a fighter and a shooter.

Quality performance.