• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Texas 80 WVU 69

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how can one describe tonight’s performance by WVU? Let’s see, uh –poor shooting, impatience, lack of rebounding, poor interior defense, poor shot selection and lack of focus all come to mind. This has to be the worst game this young team has played this year. It is a disappointing loss because we are so close to breaking out and playing good consistent basketball. Tonight we got frustrated and took to many 3’s and we failed to attack Texas with aggressive play. Instead we settled for threes and looked timid against the larger inside opponents. Williams and Watkins looked scared of Texas’s big man and that was most disgusting. These 2 men are more important to this club than people think because we need rebounds. If this team is going to make any noise this season, those 2 guys (Williams and Watkins) are going to have to step it up and play tough around the rim. We need some inside presence to get some daylight behind the arc. Good 3 point shooting teams play inside out because you have to suck the defense in the paint to get some shooting space.
Key Stats: Staten was phenomenal again with 23 points and 5 assists. Henderson tallies 16 points and Dibo comes off the bench for 10 points. Harris chucks another 3-11 performance which mystifies me. He has to be pressing and is frustrated right now because he is a better player than that. The big story is rebounding where WV got killed as bad as I have seen in the last 10 years on the glass. Texas outrebounded the Mounties 49-30. You know you shoot it bad when the other team has 18 turnovers and you still lose by 11. WV shoots 26-69 on the evening from the field and 4-25 behind the arc. WV did have 13 steals many of which were late in the game when the contest was not in doubt.
So where do you go from here? If it were me, you have to toughen up the Freshman and make them mean in the middle. Tonight, they looked like scared deer in the headlights. It is time to grow up and be the men this team needs. (I guess I should be easier on Williams as he did have the flu.)The poor shooting doesn’t concern me as much because every team will have those nights. It is the interior defense and offense that is absolutely killing this team. It won’t get any easier Saturday either as a trip to Kansas State looms. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't question coaching decisions often. Huggy has forgotten more basketball than I know... but, I don't understand why he went zone the entire game. Painful one to watch. Disappointing lack of effort for most of the game.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys were flat and then went cold....That was not a very good Texas team.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Coaches at Wv that need to fall under the microscope...how does Huggy get a pass...his best days seem to be behind him...

I think its a fair comment to make...since Belein came in here and set the bar...turning a once burned to the ground progam into a winner in 2 years.........

The guy is making 2 million per season.......this will be consecutive years they do not make the NCAA's..............................

Last edited by a moderator:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Coaches at Wv that need to fall under the microscope...how does Huggy get a pass...his best days seem to be behind him...

I think its a fair comment to make...since Belein came in here and set the bar...turning a once burned to the ground progam into a winner in 2 years.........

The guy is making 2 million per season.......this will be consecutive years they do not make the NCAA's..............................

I think that the game has passed him by and h is no longer able to relate to the kids he brings in. He took alot of chances with questionable players and transfers but was unable to keep them interested and in school leaving us with only 9 scholarship players.

In his defense, he rid himself of the bad apples and has a bunch of underclassmen who should get better by next year. If I were Luck I would give the ultimatum for next season...NCAAs or hit the road.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patience my fellow Mountaineers. When this group seasons and get a little bigger and stronger, they will hold thier own. Right now, we do not have the beef in the middle or at least the toughness and experience, but it will come with Holden and 1 yr under the belt of Williams and Watkins. Huggins has had recruiting issues from day one and that is a result of the garbage that he lets hang around on his staff. I do think Everhart is a tremendous coach and I think he will be the successor when the time comes.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggins can still coach on game day, He can still get the kids he has ready for a game. Where he falls flat on his face is recruiting, in Cinci he rolled the dice on local thugs who could play ball, barely stay in school, BUT still stay around the hood. Those kids cant or wont come to Morgantown. Huggins coached Beilein's kids up to greatness, but has done little since he has his own kids in place. Just like with Holgorsen, next year is the year, produce or leave.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair points, I love Huggs but the program doesn't seem to be headed in the right direction, especially for that kind of money. Could be a perfect storm situation of him being a little older now, conference change/style of play and then the new rule changes/style of play. The recruiting misses have hurt too Im sure, but ultimately that's on him.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both of these coaches are going to turn it around, just like football team this ball team is young and these close L's are going to help them grow. He probably is bringing in the best talent now since he has been here.

My problem with huggs(and DH at times) is everything is yelling this or yelling that, leadership IMO cannot just come in one form....every player is different and you have to figure out what way works best for them. Huggs never cuts these guys any slack.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has calmed down a great deal this year. Last year I thought he was going to have a coronary.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Bobby keeps telling the media he will fix it… as long as he hits the sympathy button with the hard working coal miners in the state… he will be given a pass. Because he is considered a WV boy. So, in the minds of the hillbillies… he won't screw them over… like another coach might if he was making the same $3 million.