• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Die hard Breakdown: WVU 87 Kansas State 83 (2 OT)

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an exhausting game in which WV was flat and full of "low energy". Yet the Mountaineers hung around and kept slugging it out until they wore down the WILDCATS in the second OT. WV make a lot of mental mistakes in this ball game to include turning it over 15 times. The Mountaineers struggled most of this game as foul trouble and attitude seems to be the culprit. WV got frustrated because KState packed it in and dared WV to shoot it from the out side. The Mountaineers obliged by going 3-20 behind the arc. At least KState kept WV in the game by missing a few free throws. This game was opened up when Huggy decided to turn Jaysean Paige lose and let him create. Paige did create off the dribble by scoring 20 of his 25 in the second half while Devon Williams was held to 2pts in regulation play. Williams did come back in late in game and in the OT's to provide much needed muscle in the middle.

WV shoots 47% from the field to go along with 17 assists & 10 steals. WV wins the battle of the glass by out rebounding the Wildcats 43-35. Paige leads the way with a career high 25 points while Phillips and Miles'Jr. round out the double figure scoring with 14 and 10 respectively.

Ok. You are 12-1 and start out conference play 1-0. Probably got to feel good about that right? Ahem, no so fast. Let me tell you the painful part about this WV team: They play just as hard as they do stupid.
Can't deny the hustle that's for sure but you can't deny the stupid play either. Let's see: tonight--Miles hangs on the rim which basically helped put the game in OT, silly reach fouls, throw'in it in the stands, and missing free throws. All of these things will take games against mediocre opponents and turn them into a close contests. And you won't have a chance against OKLA or Kansas making this amount of mistakes. Ya see, good teams put their foot on your throat when they get up on ya, they don't let off. We like to give the opponent a fighting change obviously because we never go for the knock out punch instead we make stupid plays.

Oh well. Happy for the win and a good start to conference play. We need to get better. Have a great night Mountaineer Fans and BEAT ARIZONA STATE in the Cactus Bowl.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good take on the game, glad to have a league road win!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today, I am not digging this year's team. I don't like the lack of energy and hustle they show at times... like yesterday's game.

I hate the lack of basketball IQ. The carelessness with the ball...

They cannot run offense... they cannot stop dribble penetration. Huggs went to a point drop and 1-3-1 zone after watching KSU get to the rim... time after time... after time...

Paige is the only kid who can play...

Huggs has his work cut out for him...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today, I am not digging this year's team. I don't like the lack of energy and hustle they show at times... like yesterday's game.

I hate the lack of basketball IQ. The carelessness with the ball...

They cannot run offense... they cannot stop dribble penetration. Huggs went to a point drop and 1-3-1 zone after watching KSU get to the rim... time after time... after time...

Paige is the only kid who can play...

Huggs has his work cut out for him...

Wow..clearly shows Basketball is not my forte'~..I thought they played well versus a pretty good basketball team on their floor..seemed to me they just couldn't make a 3 if they had to...I like the way the guards play...like this team much better without Jawan Staten...I think they get alot better before tourney time..Holton seems to have developed a bad rap..he gets called for a foul as soon he goes to the scorers table just to check in!!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am firmly behind Huggins anymore, I used to dislike him, his drinking and recruiting thugs really turned me off. He seems to have turned a corner in a lot of ways when Butler went down in that final four game a few years back, I think he is a pretty good guy, and a really fine coach.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been around Basketball for a long time and have had ties to this program for several years now but I just don't think we are very consistent. Stupid turnovers and bonehead plays are keeping this team from taking it to the next level. A level that lets you compete with teams like Kentucky, Kansas, OU, Duke, Virginia etc. Right now, we can't come within 15 points of any of teams. Now this not because of Coaching or talent but because basketball IQ. I mean really, who swings on the rim like a monkey late in the game for no reason and get a technical? That is just plain stupid. But it doesn't end there. It is shot selection, out of position in the press, out of position on offense, silly fouls chasing a man down the sidelines when you know you are beat. Once a man beats you on the sideline--it is over. All you can do is hustle back in position. I promise you that if this team didn't have 10 guys who see minutes and foul, we wouldn't come within 20 points of half of our opponents. Now I know this harsh language but it is what it is and until we recognize it--we wont ever get any better. I want to get better, I want to see a better product on the floor. I just feel something is missing because these players are not getting it. Take Miles and Holden--now they have played what 43-44 games now and they still do the same stupid shit they did the first time they put the uniform on. I mean really?? As a person, if you want to be better at anything, you have to get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. Instead, this team would rather make a 3 and pose for the crowd. We have a tough stretch coming up so they had better get mean or they will be humbled quickly and look more like they play--stupid.