• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The cap shooting up will help the Seahawks

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have so many young players with contracts up around the same time. This will help them keep more of these players they drafted instead of having them walk when their contracts are up. They might be one of the top teams for awhile with the cap projections (barring injuries)

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the main thing to slow them would be injuries and PED suspensions. They have a young team and young players don't seem to go down as much

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inflation.....the cap rise will cause teams to overspend therefore devaluing the dollar in the NFL. Sherman may be the first DB to get 100MM, Thomas may get 70MM as a safety, Wilson may get 100MM, someone will overpay, it always happens. That team has one more year to keep it together. The cap going up helps bottom teams that have plenty of cap space, not the one's that are great and are right near the cap. Teams like the Dolphins who overpay for a Mike Wallace won't have space to fill their needs, but they will take away major talent from elite teams, making it hard for teams to keep their players. At the end of the day I think during the new CBA the cap may end or end up like baseball.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have so many young players with contracts up around the same time. This will help them keep more of these players they drafted instead of having them walk when their contracts are up. They might be one of the top teams for awhile with the cap projections (barring injuries)

If they keep drafting like they do, they are going to be something. They are killing it

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible that the increased cap will aide Dallas more than Seattle. Dallas is way over the cap so any increase will reduce the overage and also reduce whatever penalties are associated with violating the limit.
Just a thought and I may be way off base.
Also, the increased cap will help any of the teams that are "spenders".

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible that the increased cap will aide Dallas more than Seattle. Dallas is way over the cap so any increase will reduce the overage and also reduce whatever penalties are associated with violating the limit.

I agree with you

But when that Sherman contract and Wilson contract come up .... I aint sure no cap increase can save those two being on the same team

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Helping the spenders is correct. Had Seattle ever been near cap hell? The cap increase may not mean a damn thing to Seattle. We know Seatyles owner has the money but will he go balls to the wall to spend in on the team?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helping the spenders is correct. Had Seattle ever been near cap hell? The cap increase may not mean a damn thing to Seattle. We know Seatyles owner has the money but will he go balls to the wall to spend in on the team?

Flat out the Seahawks just draft great ..... That is what it is .... youngest team in football and have a superbowl ....

and none of their FAs have really panned out to be great

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what was it Whitehearse or whatever his name was from San Diego ...

the two receivers from the Vikings .....

Not huge impacts ... not for what they were paid ...... Lynch is the only one that worked out great ( and hell he didn't do much in the Superbowl) But Denver was so concerned with him ..... shit guys you barely hear of ate Denver up

Oh plus they had got the Qb from the Vikings .....

FA wise ... no luck ... Drafts awesome

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flat out the Seahawks just draft great ..... That is what it is .... youngest team in football and have a superbowl ....

I think it's the Adderall.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you

But when that Sherman contract and Wilson contract come up .... I aint sure no cap increase can save those two being on the same team

Great point and we Seahawk fans are well aware of the limits of the cap. IMO, while we have lots of great players, ET and RW are absolute keepers. ET is necessary because due to his coverage and tackling skills, his play allows us to play one on one so effectively on the outside. Our FO has been spectacular in finding and developing talent in the secondary.
Every game I watch Sherm play I think to myself, sign him forever. I hope they can. He is going to want a kings ransom and will get it. the question will be, who gives it to him?
If I was the Seahawk GM I would be in the "What is it going to take" conversations with his agent as soon as I can. Let's assume he wants King Tut's ransom and a Snickers bar. Let's say that is just too much tp pay. He could be dangled as trade bait before the trade deadline in week 6 (I believe) of the upcoming season. What would he bring in picks as a trade? A 1st? More?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point and we Seahawk fans are well aware of the limits of the cap. IMO, while we have lots of great players, ET and RW are absolute keepers. ET is necessary because due to his coverage and tackling skills, his play allows us to play one on one so effectively on the outside. Our FO has been spectacular in finding and developing talent in the secondary.
Every game I watch Sherm play I think to myself, sign him forever. I hope they can. He is going to want a kings ransom and will get it. the question will be, who gives it to him?
If I was the Seahawk GM I would be in the "What is it going to take" conversations with his agent as soon as I can. Let's assume he wants King Tut's ransom and a Snickers bar. Let's say that is just too much tp pay. He could be dangled as trade bait before the trade deadline in week 6 (I believe) of the upcoming season. What would he bring in picks as a trade? A 1st? More?

depending on the team .... maybe two He is currently the best at his position

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The DL signings worked out well for them

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DL signings worked out well for them

their secondary consist of a 1st a 3rd and a 5th round pick ....... I'd say that worked out for them too

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have highlighted the "none of their FAs" part in my quote...I wasn't commenting on the drafting obviously that has been fantastic. But, their FAs played a role also

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say wait and see what the value of the top players at the respective positions is before saying this helps the Seahawks. Teams with top tier players at their positions have to be thinking this is not going to be fun trying to sign these guys. When the Cap increases like this it isn't a balanced uptick in player contracts. The top guys get lots more money while the middle men stay about the same. They will all go up a little bit but I can about guarantee like the quarterback position $20 million will be about the start spot for middle of the pack guys let alone top tier guys. When guys like Romo (no offense), Cutler, and Flacco all got somewhere in the $17-20 million range before the Cap went up you have to assume that will just be the starting point moving forward for franchise quarterbacks.

Right now say for Sherman the top Corner in the league contract wise is Revis at $16 million a year and that was even after a season ending injury. You have to think Sherman's agent is at least thinking in that area.

For Thomas the Jairus Byrd contract will be huge. Right now they are talking about at least $10 million a year. Since Thomas is considered the top guy at the FS position by just about everybody that is probably just his starting spot.

So it will all depend for the Seahawks of do they want say a 1/3 of the their cap wrapped up in just 3 players.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say wait and see what the value of the top players at the respective positions is before saying this helps the Seahawks. Teams with top tier players at their positions have to be thinking this is not going to be fun trying to sign these guys. When the Cap increases like this it isn't a balanced uptick in player contracts. The top guys get lots more money while the middle men stay about the same. They will all go up a little bit but I can about guarantee like the quarterback position $20 million will be about the start spot for middle of the pack guys let alone top tier guys. When guys like Romo (no offense), Cutler, and Flacco all got somewhere in the $17-20 million range before the Cap went up you have to assume that will just be the starting point moving forward for franchise quarterbacks.

Right now say for Sherman the top Corner in the league contract wise is Revis at $16 million a year and that was even after a season ending injury. You have to think Sherman's agent is at least thinking in that area.

For Thomas the Jairus Byrd contract will be huge. Right now they are talking about at least $10 million a year. Since Thomas is considered the top guy at the FS position by just about everybody that is probably just his starting spot.

So it will all depend for the Seahawks of do they want say a 1/3 of the their cap wrapped up in just 3 players.

agreed ...... you cant chunk that much money into three players ..... some times you have to move along and draft well

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle can wait a little to sign Wilson. They could still win a SB losing any other player including Sherman. Plus, they get to draft also!!! This increase to $133M helps the Cowboys more than most teams. Seattle it helps about average. Yeah, they have a lot of players that will soon make a lot of money, but that is because they have so many good players and are so deep. Now since they are the best or at least one of the best teams, other fans do focus on how it may affect them.