• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The "C" stands for Clowe

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was kind of on the fence of the idea of giving the "C" to Clowe but after reading this

"Two minutes? What do you got to do to get five minutes? Take the guy's knee completely off his leg?" asked Ryane Clowe, who made an unsuccessful attempt to reach Orr after the hit. "It should have been a game."

Clowe also questioned his team's failure to respond to the hit -- both on the scoreboard and on the ice.

"I think if you have a killer instinct in that situation, on power plays you bury them and then you get physical," he said. "It didn't happen obviously."

Why is it he is making these statements and none of the other high paying clowns are? Because he actually care's and he shows it. Those other dill holes could care a less as long as they get paid.

I'm on board with getting rid of all 3 of them honestly, they proven they arent worth much other then having Remenda fluff them

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowe has been impressive this year, with his on the ice pay and his off the ice attitude. I wasn't sure about giving him an A after last season but he has shown that he deserves it.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With this team "C" stands for "CRAP"... And being name "captain" IMO went out the window years ago when teams just started giving that C to who they felt was pretty much the top scorer on their team. Gone are the days when guys like Jeff Odgers or other role players around the league wore that letter & wore it with pride and were pretty much the voice behind the coach. I honestly dont care who wears the C on this team cause it doesnt really matter, captain isnt a role looked apon like it used to be. Im also NOT on the wagon of trading the big 3 right now. Id perfer to ride this season on, count it as a loss and when Niemi, Wallin & Huskins contracts all come off the books this offseason, see what happens from there.

People tend to miss the fact, of something I pointed out before, only like 8 pts seperate #4 from #13 in the west. No team is consistant cept det & vanc. Look at Chi, a defensive all-star team, kept everyone cept sopel, kept there top 6 and are still only 4 pts ahead of SJ, and thats only cause of SJs 5 game winning streak. Its not just happening in SJ with inconsistancy its all over the league (this is what happens with salary caps)

>>Im bout to change subjects here.....

Oh, BTW, when I prayed for SJ to go after Big Buff and pretty much everyone here ripped on him sayings he's worthless, what do you think now? Not only is he back on D, but he's the leading Dman scorer in the league, #15 scoring in the league, a +7 and avg 22mins a game... Now the experts on the board (that of course im not) do you still think it wouldve been such a waste to go after the guy like I wanted?

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, BTW, when I prayed for SJ to go after Big Buff and pretty much everyone here ripped on him sayings he's worthless, what do you think now? Not only is he back on D, but he's the leading Dman scorer in the league, #15 scoring in the league, a +7 and avg 22mins a game... Now the experts on the board (that of course im not) do you still think it wouldve been such a waste to go after the guy like I wanted?

I don't know, man. I mean, I actually like Byfuglien. But I don't think you can really say that just because he's doing well with the Thrashers this season means he would have done well with the Sharks. He might have been sucked into the talent-black-hole like everyone else on the team this season.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this team "C" stands for "CRAP"... And being name "captain" IMO went out the window years ago when teams just started giving that C to who they felt was pretty much the top scorer on their team. Gone are the days when guys like Jeff Odgers or other role players around the league wore that letter & wore it with pride and were pretty much the voice behind the coach. I honestly dont care who wears the C on this team cause it doesnt really matter, captain isnt a role looked apon like it used to be. Im also NOT on the wagon of trading the big 3 right now. Id perfer to ride this season on, count it as a loss and when Niemi, Wallin & Huskins contracts all come off the books this offseason, see what happens from there.

People tend to miss the fact, of something I pointed out before, only like 8 pts seperate #4 from #13 in the west. No team is consistant cept det & vanc. Look at Chi, a defensive all-star team, kept everyone cept sopel, kept there top 6 and are still only 4 pts ahead of SJ, and thats only cause of SJs 5 game winning streak. Its not just happening in SJ with inconsistancy its all over the league (this is what happens with salary caps)

>>Im bout to change subjects here.....

I agree with the first paragraph, unfortunately, that's just the way the game is heading. The best players on the team aren't always the best leaders. I'm with you though, I wish the NHL would get back to that type of leadership.

As for your second paragraph.....wow. Why don't you just call out the main culprits who hated the idea? Also, how did you expect to get Byfuglien? He's making $3million this season and is a FA next season. Just how did you plan to get him? Also, how were you going to sweeten the pot from the deal that Atlanta gave to the Hawks? You think Chicago would have taken the same deal from the Sharks as they got from the Hawks? Also, who's to say he'd be as successful here? Then, even if you did have a plan to get him in here (which could have been possible), and he did have the same year here that he's having in Atlanta, how would you have paid for him next season? I understand your frustration when you like a player and others don't, but if you're going to call down the thunder on all of the "board experts" (whoever you mean by that), at least substantiate how you were proposing to get Buff. Just saying that you were "praying" for a player because you like them doesn't mean it was ever going to happen nor would it necessarily mean it would still be a good deal for the Sharks (even if it seems likely). Bottom line, if you're going to call people out, elaborate on why it is that the "board experts" are wrong. No? If you are this good all the time, do you mind helping me out with the lotto??? :D
I mean did you really see him blowing up as big as he has on DEFENSE after his 34 point campaign as a forward on a high scoring Hawks team?
EDIT: Also, I love Ryane Clowe

Last edited by a moderator:

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its in a post on the old forum that I dont feel like looking up lazy Im a lazy bastad haha, by board experts I ment the regulars that if you post something they dont agree with they feel the need to shred you...
Anyone about getting him, they had the money to do so. You take the money that was used for the Kjhal offersheet/niemi signing/mayers/wallin extension, plus the money that would come off with trading a likes of a player and it wouldve been very easy to fit the salary.
As for performance, I wasnt really to concerned weather he repeated his 34pts or blew up like he did. I wanted him for the fact that he's a been playoff performer and he can play Defence and pretty much any role on the any forward line.

If he's a FA next year, heres hoping for a miricle signing, but after the season he's having no way he comes cheap...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't recall saying i wouldnt want Buff, that would be pretty stupid to pass him up. I think you maybe confusing it with people saying he wasnt attainable for the sharks, versus not wanting him

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
. No? If you are this good all the time, do you mind helping me out with the lotto??? :D
EDIT: Also, I love Ryane Clowe

Ill be more then happy to give you the winning lotto numbers, I just cant tell you what week to play them on, that parts up to you

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its in a post on the old forum that I dont feel like looking up lazy Im a lazy bastad haha, by board experts I ment the regulars that if you post something they dont agree with they feel the need to shred you...
Anyone about getting him, they had the money to do so. You take the money that was used for the Kjhal offersheet/niemi signing/mayers/wallin extension, plus the money that would come off with trading a likes of a player and it wouldve been very easy to fit the salary.
As for performance, I wasnt really to concerned weather he repeated his 34pts or blew up like he did. I wanted him for the fact that he's a been playoff performer and he can play Defence and pretty much any role on the any forward line.

If he's a FA next year, heres hoping for a miricle signing, but after the season he's having no way he comes cheap...

Did you suggest the Sharks specifically aquire him to play defense? I remember most on the ESPN board didn't view him as a dman. What I remember reading was they would like Buff but aquiring a dman was more important.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, how did you expect to get Byfuglien? He's making $3million this season and is a FA next season. Just how did you plan to get him?

I agree with a lot of your points - however (and this is not hindsight as I was barking about this last year):

Send Marleau off and get some value
shit-can Wallin and Huskins
Buf can play D AND be on O guy... so depending on the other pieces you can find position him accordingly.
Let Niemi find someone else to play for.

If you need additional space, Seto and Mitch could have been added to that list.

You make a solid point that there is no reason to believe that he would have been explosive here... but a move for a player like him made a lot more sense than some of the moves we made, and if we can get rid of some that fair-weather, 7mil/year personnel... I am all for it.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you suggest the Sharks specifically aquire him to play defense? I remember most on the ESPN board didn't view him as a dman. What I remember reading was they would like Buff but aquiring a dman was more important.

I pointed out that he could play both F & D whatever role SJ needed him to fill... I believe your (I think it was yours)responce was something along the lines of how he disappears during stretches during the season and SJ doesnt need another player like that on the roster. Another responce was about his poor athleticism or speed/skating which I thought was hilarious.
My biggest reason for wanting him was his postseason play, not regular season. The past 2 years in the playoffs he shows up big and isnt afraid to park in front of the net & play in the trenches, something SJ never has...

As for signing him now, if he commands $$$ in the 6 mil range, then Ill prob have to say no. Ive never been sold on the idea of doubling a players salary based on one incredible season during a contract year... Too many guys get these hefty raises and then dont do anything **cough Finger cough** (Im still baffled why Wallin got a raise tho haha)

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Buff make for a much better forward than a defenseman anyway?

Back to the C topic. Blake must have really had an effect as Captain last season. Whenever the Sharks started to flounder they got back on track. This season the tailspin is out of control, it seems.

Last season, they had a 5 game losing streak (3 of those games were lost in OT or SO) they followed that up with an 8 game winning streak. They also had a big 6 game losing streak (only 1 of those were lost in OT), and they followed that up with a 4 game winning streak and a 8-1-1 stretch to close the season.

Here we are with a 6 game losing streak. Come on Captain Jimbo, rally the troops!

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Captain Jimbo is a pretty bad Captain, but not quite at the level of Captain Edward John Smith.....yet!!

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake must have really had an effect as Captain last season. Whenever the Sharks started to flounder they got back on track. This season the tailspin is out of control, it seems.

That is the truth for sure - I will never question those "intangible" metrics again and it is clear there have been some really bad decisions made on this team.

I think there are going to be some big changes here - I really just don't see these guys digging out of the hole they put themselves into. While they are not that far out of reach from other teams they are headed the wrong direction. You hear WAY too much acrimony and see a lot of guys just phoning in their evenings - and that's not going unnoticed.

The least of which will be the removal of the "C" to someone who is playing like a "C"... if we dont trade him away for a 7th and 8th defenseman.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I pointed out that he could play both F & D whatever role SJ needed him to fill... I believe your (I think it was yours)responce was something along the lines of how he disappears during stretches during the season and SJ doesnt need another player like that on the roster. Another responce was about his poor athleticism or speed/skating which I thought was hilarious.
My biggest reason for wanting him was his postseason play, not regular season. The past 2 years in the playoffs he shows up big and isnt afraid to park in front of the net & play in the trenches, something SJ never has...

As for signing him now, if he commands $$$ in the 6 mil range, then Ill prob have to say no. Ive never been sold on the idea of doubling a players salary based on one incredible season during a contract year... Too many guys get these hefty raises and then dont do anything **cough Finger cough** (Im still baffled why Wallin got a raise tho haha)

I only remember one or two treads about aquiring Buff and I didn't post in either. Doesn't mean there wasn't another that I did, I just don't recall it.

As for aquiring him this last offseason my response would have been, no. My response to aquiring him now would probably still be, no. In the offseason I would have said no to aquiring him as a dman because he hadn't played that position regularly in almost two seasons and the last time he did it was a disaster which is why Chicago moved him to forward. As for now, you have to look as his surroundings. ATL has speed and mobility in spades both at forward and on defense, San Jose does not. If the Sharks had more speed up front and a Toby Enstrom to pair with him my answer would be different. However they don't and because of that it's highly unlikely he would have been anywhere close to as effective in San Jose as he's been in Atlanta.

Last edited by a moderator: