• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Argument for Quarterback at Five

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been many arguments for or against the #Broncos taking a quarterback with the fifth overall pick, so I decided to write a deep-dive persuasive piece on the topic, breaking down all my favorite arguments on why, if the right guy is there, the Denver Broncos absolutely should draft quarterback with the fifth pick.
If you are pro-QB at 5, hopefully this strengthens your stance and if you are anti-QB at 5, hopefully this pulls you a bit more to the middle.
6 Reasons The Denver Broncos Can't Pass On A QB At Pick 5 In The Draft

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree, depending on who is there at 5. ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my one splash of cold water. If you were going to get a top QB in the top of the draft - don't plan to sit him on the bench for two years to sit behind the starter you just signed. Play him - that's how top QBs get ready to play - not by some mystical transference from watching PFM or being around JE. Most of the top QB talent draft at the top of the draft - start in season one. Period (and less than half of them turn out).

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my one splash of cold water. If you were going to get a top QB in the top of the draft - don't plan to sit him on the bench for two years to sit behind the starter you just signed. Play him - that's how top QBs get ready to play - not by some mystical transference from watching PFM or being around JE. Most of the top QB talent draft at the top of the draft - start in season one. Period (and less than half of them turn out).

Here's my one splash of cold water. A number of QB's turned out just fine by sitting. Rivers, Rogers, Alex Smith, Eli Manning (sat 11 games) to name a few.

Realistically, it's more up to the qb and what system they ran in college (were they prepared for the NFL system), their maturity level, and the team surrounding them.

You're just as likely to break a young qb's confidence as you are to make him successful.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a hot day, two splashes of cold water are better than just one!

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With there being 4 talented QBs that are at the top of the draft there is bound to be 1 or 2 that turn out to be good. Now the real debate should be who is the real deal and who is a bust waiting to happen. I really like potential of Allen and Mayfield but their bust potential scares the heck out of me. Darnold and Rose are no locks to be franchise QBs either. All have flaws. If we pick one here is to them being more of an Andrew Luck then the an RGIII.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my one splash of cold water. A number of QB's turned out just fine by sitting. Rivers, Rogers, Alex Smith, Eli Manning (sat 11 games) to name a few.

Realistically, it's more up to the qb and what system they ran in college (were they prepared for the NFL system), their maturity level, and the team surrounding them.

You're just as likely to break a young qb's confidence as you are to make him successful.

OK - this will waterboard you - I said - should start sometime in 1st season (takes care of ELI - Elway etc). Alex Smith might as well be Case Keenum - based on his time getting ready to be an effective starter. Rivers sat a season behind Dree Brees - then went 14-2 (there's no proof sitting on the bench helped him). There is also no proof Rogers' two years in Atlanta made him into a starter.

So the point here is that if you draft a QB high in the 1st round - he should be a starter in the 1st season - get the learning out of the way. If he is not ready to start in season 1 don't pick him so high. Don't forget - Chad Kelley would have been a ridiculous high draft pick - if he hit the draft after his Jr. year - but he is viewed now as a scrub - still the same guy.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - this will waterboard you - I said - should start sometime in 1st season (takes care of ELI - Elway etc). Alex Smith might as well be Case Keenum - based on his time getting ready to be an effective starter. Rivers sat a season behind Dree Brees - then went 14-2 (there's no proof sitting on the bench helped him). There is also no proof Rogers' two years in Atlanta made him into a starter.

So the point here is that if you draft a QB high in the 1st round - he should be a starter in the 1st season - get the learning out of the way. If he is not ready to start in season 1 don't pick him so high. Don't forget - Chad Kelley would have been a ridiculous high draft pick - if he hit the draft after his Jr. year - but he is viewed now as a scrub - still the same guy.

Wasn't Chad's drop due to off the field issues? I have hope for him, but what we do at 5 might tell us what the team feels about Chad.

I do agree that a top 5 QB probably should be starting sometime in year 1, but if Keenum is as good as he was in Minnesota do you replace him unless there is an injury?

Right now I have hope that Keenum could be good, and Kelly could be the future. Hard to tell on Kelly as we have not seen him play yet. These are all some of the reasons why I don't like a QB at 5. Now I understand the argument that if you are there and if there is a guy that you think is your QB for the next 15 - 20 years is is there you don't pass on him. It is not impossible that we will have no choice on the QB unless we trade up. I really don't like the trade up option.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Chad's drop due to off the field issues? I have hope for him, but what we do at 5 might tell us what the team feels about Chad.

I do agree that a top 5 QB probably should be starting sometime in year 1, but if Keenum is as good as he was in Minnesota do you replace him unless there is an injury?

Yep - that's my point - you don't. If you want to help this team get to the Super Bowl - don't draft a QB at 5 or higher - my opinion.

On Chad - my point is just because a college guy is hyped for college success - you are never far away from having a changed perspective down the road. At any given time - there are only about 7 great QBs in the pros. Yet there is likely one or two hot QB prospects in the draft every year. This year's hottest FA QB contract - was a 3rd rounder.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - that's my point - you don't. If you want to help this team get to the Super Bowl - don't draft a QB at 5 or higher - my opinion.

On Chad - my point is just because a college guy is hyped for college success - you are never far away from having a changed perspective down the road. At any given time - there are only about 7 great QBs in the pros. Yet there is likely one or two hot QB prospects in the draft every year. This year's hottest FA QB contract - was a 3rd rounder.

I agree.

If they do select a QB he needs to play this year.
Waiting was Elway's plan with Brock and it did not turn out like he wanted. Then they could have executed the Case two years ago. Now they want to try the draft a QB and he can transition after Keenum. A lot can happen in two years if they do not select a QB. Think GB was looking for a replacement for Farve in 2005. How about Manning getting injured and sitting out a year and Indy has its franchsie within one year. Heck Keesum could be the next Rich Gannon and you have a QB for the next 4-5 years.
If he performs well this year you have the option to tear up the contract and give him a new one.

Get Chubb or Barkley to instantly help out right now. Get the offense more productive and actually get leads instead of always playing for behind and this D should be OK.

Is Elway even capabale of selecting the next Dan Marino for will he select the next Todd Blacklege. My avi may provide a clue.

Last edited:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been many arguments for or against the #Broncos taking a quarterback with the fifth overall pick, so I decided to write a deep-dive persuasive piece on the topic, breaking down all my favorite arguments on why, if the right guy is there, the Denver Broncos absolutely should draft quarterback with the fifth pick.
If you are pro-QB at 5, hopefully this strengthens your stance and if you are anti-QB at 5, hopefully this pulls you a bit more to the middle.
6 Reasons The Denver Broncos Can't Pass On A QB At Pick 5 In The Draft

Good article.

Do you think the QB they want most will be there at 5?

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article.

Do you think the QB they want most will be there at 5?

as far as i know they like rosen and mayfield the most. I think one will be there

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Mayfield will be there, Rosen is hit and miss.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as i know they like rosen and mayfield the most. I think one will be there

104.3 the Fan is reporting that the Broncos have settled on their top QB choice and it's Sam Darnold. Supposedly from a source within the Broncos. Not only will Darnold not be available at number five but I think this is definitely nothing more than a smokescreen.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard Darnold is who Denver likes as well, but he won't be there. I think it's Baker or no QB at 5... I think the other 3 will be gone.

(chants RUDOLPH RUDOLPH RUDOLPH)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk today is that the Browns are locking in on Josh Allen as the #1 overall pick.

That would mean the Giants, who have had their eyes only on one QB, would take Darnold at two.

If it plays out this way then the Jets would be the wildcard but hearing they are leaning towards Mayfield.

So then it comes down to do the Browns trade out of the 4 spot for a QB hungry team? If not that could mean the Broncos land Rosen without having to move up in the draft. I have him personally as my top QB in this draft.