• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 10 Non-Superstars Who Could Change the 2022 NFL Season

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Gabriel Davis WR Bills
2. Marcus Peters CB Ravens
3. Tyler Boyd WR Bengals
4. DeVante Parker WR Patriots
5. Jalen Hurts QB Eagles
6. Joseph Noteboom LT Rams
7. Joe Tryon-Shoyinka EDGE Buccaneers
8. De'Vondre Campbell LB Packers
9. Sebastian Joseph Day DT Chargers
10. George Karlaftis EDGE, Trent McDuffie CB, Bryan Cook S, and Leo Chenal LB Chiefs

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the idea that Karlaftis is the most important Chiefs rookie. I think it's McDuffie if he is in the Honey Badger role. Karlaftis could make an impact, though.

Joe Mixon would probably be the Bengal I'd pick.

Devante Parker? What year is this? Is the Ringer required to pick a Patriots player? Mac Jones seems more variable than Jalen Hurts imo. I think he'd be the pick for NE.

Good list overall, though

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabe Davis has "played like a starter" every time I've seen him on the field, including his rookie season. Giving him more reps is just going to make the Bills that much better.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the idea that Karlaftis is the most important Chiefs rookie. I think it's McDuffie if he is in the Honey Badger role. Karlaftis could make an impact, though.

Joe Mixon would probably be the Bengal I'd pick.

Devante Parker? What year is this? Is the Ringer required to pick a Patriots player? Mac Jones seems more variable than Jalen Hurts imo. I think he'd be the pick for NE.

Good list overall, though
Didn't like Boyd, or Mixon when thinking of this article - while maybe neither is a "super star", they've been very good players at their positions, and their value to the team has always been stated. Boyd has been one of the top slot guys for years, and Mixon has been pretty good going for 1100+ yards in 3 of the last 4 years (with 2020 being limited to just 6 games due to injury).

I mean - I do get it that a skill position like WR/RB/QB is likely to have the biggest impact - but I'd have rather seen someone like Awuzie, who was instrumental last year with Waynes' injury at DB - or maybe even a "career" resurgence by Apple, or Cam-Britt (if we are going with depth guys). Either of those guys will have to have another season like last for the defense to be as good as it can be and continue from 2021 into 2022. Could also be someone like Bell, if Bates sits out - or even Dax Hill since he'll be the heir apparent....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't like Boyd, or Mixon when thinking of this article - while maybe neither is a "super star", they've been very good players at their positions, and their value to the team has always been stated. Boyd has been one of the top slot guys for years, and Mixon has been pretty good going for 1100+ yards in 3 of the last 4 years (with 2020 being limited to just 6 games due to injury).

I mean - I do get it that a skill position like WR/RB/QB is likely to have the biggest impact - but I'd have rather seen someone like Awuzie, who was instrumental last year with Waynes' injury at DB - or maybe even a "career" resurgence by Apple, or Cam-Britt (if we are going with depth guys). Either of those guys will have to have another season like last for the defense to be as good as it can be and continue from 2021 into 2022. Could also be someone like Bell, if Bates sits out - or even Dax Hill since he'll be the heir apparent....
Awuzie is interesting. Apparently he was the 2nd highest targeted CB in the league last year because the assumption was that he was a weak link and he played at a pro bowl level. Im not sure its possible for him to break out more. He basically gave up nothing big and shut down the short routes from getting too much YAC. I'm not sure you'd even notice if he played better (because people would stop targeting him)

I just mentioned Mixon because of the Cover 2 shell that the article mentioned. If the idea is that the teams will take away Bengals deep threats, Boyd and your TE have already been shown to be reliable if healthy. The Chiefs and Bills when they get in trouble the QBs just scramble. Joe Mixon was a better RB prospect coming out than CEH and James Cook imo and Mixon is in his prime. Bengals also improved their oline. Improved oline, teams playing deep shells...Mixon should eat. My .02.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awuzie is interesting. Apparently he was the 2nd highest targeted CB in the league last year because the assumption was that he was a weak link and he played at a pro bowl level. Im not sure its possible for him to break out more. He basically gave up nothing big and shut down the short routes from getting too much YAC. I'm not sure you'd even notice if he played better (because people would stop targeting him)

I just mentioned Mixon because of the Cover 2 shell that the article mentioned. If the idea is that the teams will take away Bengals deep threats, Boyd and your TE have already been shown to be reliable if healthy. The Chiefs and Bills when they get in trouble the QBs just scramble. Joe Mixon was a better RB prospect coming out than CEH and James Cook imo and Mixon is in his prime. Bengals also improved their oline. Improved oline, teams playing deep shells...Mixon should eat. My .02.
Agreed with both statements - I think I just took the article to mean guys who weren't "super stars" that could shape the season...one of the big reasons for the Bengals defense last year was the DB play of Awuzie and Apple...considering the consistency that others have shown (Boyd/Mixon), I'd say getting consistency from either/both of those guys would be a big step in maintaining the how good that defense was last year.

I mean, if you wanted to go really off the beaten path, I'd maybe go with Hayden Hurst at TE....I think he has more upside than CJ as a receiver, and with teams focusing on Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd - you could see him exploit the mismatch a lot more than CJ Uzomah did last year and really add some depth to that offense from a receiving standpoint to where they aren't just relying on the WR's to make plays, or if one of the WR's gets dinged up, you can sill have 3 guys out there making catches/plays.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with both statements - I think I just took the article to mean guys who weren't "super stars" that could shape the season...one of the big reasons for the Bengals defense last year was the DB play of Awuzie and Apple...considering the consistency that others have shown (Boyd/Mixon), I'd say getting consistency from either/both of those guys would be a big step in maintaining the how good that defense was last year.

I mean, if you wanted to go really off the beaten path, I'd maybe go with Hayden Hurst at TE....I think he has more upside than CJ as a receiver, and with teams focusing on Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd - you could see him exploit the mismatch a lot more than CJ Uzomah did last year and really add some depth to that offense from a receiving standpoint to where they aren't just relying on the WR's to make plays, or if one of the WR's gets dinged up, you can sill have 3 guys out there making catches/plays.
I'd say on paper the Bengals should have the best offense in the NFL next year. For me the question is where their defense lands. A lot of their guys had a lot to prove last year and they did. The big question becomes are they all really good to elite or is there some regression? I thought the Titans and Bengals defense overachieved last year so it'll be interesting to see if I'm just flat out wrong or if they come down to earth a bit.

Its hard to judge other teams fully, though, because of all of the variables that happen during a season. The Ringer mentions the Chiefs defense struggling before Melvin Ingram came in but he wasn't really the catalyst. They had multiple starters hurt for many of the games in the beginning of the season when the Chiefs defense looked historically bad. The Bengals games against the Chiefs, for better or worse, showed a more accurate picture of the Chiefs last year. Very explosive, tendency to fall apart due to the inconsistency on offense and giving up big plays on defense. The Bengals, Chargers, and Ravens last year are teams that could've won or lost many many games last year so its hard to get a read on them next year. Super Bowl? Maybe. .500? Maybe. The competition in the AFC at the top is going to be wild if everyone stays healthy.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say on paper the Bengals should have the best offense in the NFL next year. For me the question is where their defense lands. A lot of their guys had a lot to prove last year and they did. The big question becomes are they all really good to elite or is there some regression? I thought the Titans and Bengals defense overachieved last year so it'll be interesting to see if I'm just flat out wrong or if they come down to earth a bit.

Its hard to judge other teams fully, though, because of all of the variables that happen during a season. The Ringer mentions the Chiefs defense struggling before Melvin Ingram came in but he wasn't really the catalyst. They had multiple starters hurt for many of the games in the beginning of the season when the Chiefs defense looked historically bad. The Bengals games against the Chiefs, for better or worse, showed a more accurate picture of the Chiefs last year. Very explosive, tendency to fall apart due to the inconsistency on offense and giving up big plays on defense. The Bengals, Chargers, and Ravens last year are teams that could've won or lost many many games last year so its hard to get a read on them next year. Super Bowl? Maybe. .500? Maybe. The competition in the AFC at the top is going to be wild if everyone stays healthy.
I think that is a very fair and accurate statement about the Bengals, and the other teams in your 2nd paragraph.

I think health will be a huge factor. Of course, it is for ALL teams - but the defense starts up front with Reader, IMO. He's been the unsung hero of that defense. His presence allows guys like Hill, Ogunjobi to flourish in that 3-tech spot, and allow guys like Hubbard and Hendrickson to do what they do best. Bengals have some good depth pieces along the DL, but they really do not have a replacement for Reader. There are options at DT, 3-tech, LB, and even at DB - even if untested - but that NT spot he has, is his alone.

Offensively - if the OL is anywhere as good as most think it can be (and honestly, it probably just needs to be top 10-12 good, not top 5-10) - Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Mixon (who I think could benefit the most) will all have spectacular years....going to be a very interesting season to see how they handle last years' run - and how the approach a season where everyone is very aware of them now - as opposed to catching many off-guard last year. The one thing I've come to love about Burrow - and this goes back to his LSU days - he's very forward focused. Reminds me a ton Brady in that manner (not that he'll be that good, etc...just that kind of laser focus)...and his ability to rally guys around him and lead - hopefully helps keep the team moving forward in 2022 and not living off 2021....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The big question for the Bengals offense is coaching. I don't fully trust Taylor to unleash the fury that his offense could impose.... Under the hands of another coach, I think they would be the best unit in the NFL (assuming the line upgrades work).

The big question for the Bengals defense is health. The truth is that they have better players than they are given credit for having. And it's possible that Lou is a better D-coordinator than the talking heads are willing to admit. If you look at the postseason run, the D carried the team.... Shutting down KC for an entire second half, shutting down TN for almost an entire game, not letting Carr get hot (which he can do). One more big stop in the Super Bowl and they would receive more attention for what they did that entire game. But, an injury to one of the key catalysts of that D (Hendrickson, Reader, or Chido) could potentially expose some weaknesses..... The dialogue around the Bengals just getting lucky because they wren't injured is getting a bit stale, but I do think there's some truth to it for the D.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big question for the Bengals offense is coaching. I don't fully trust Taylor to unleash the fury that his offense could impose.... Under the hands of another coach, I think they would be the best unit in the NFL (assuming the line upgrades work).

The big question for the Bengals defense is health. The truth is that they have better players than they are given credit for having. And it's possible that Lou is a better D-coordinator than the talking heads are willing to admit. If you look at the postseason run, the D carried the team.... Shutting down KC for an entire second half, shutting down TN for almost an entire game, not letting Carr get hot (which he can do). One more big stop in the Super Bowl and they would receive more attention for what they did that entire game. But, an injury to one of the key catalysts of that D (Hendrickson, Reader, or Chido) could potentially expose some weaknesses..... The dialogue around the Bengals just getting lucky because they wren't injured is getting a bit stale, but I do think there's some truth to it for the D.
I don't feel like there is too big of a conversation about the Bengals just getting lucky. NFL.com has Bengals #4 in their power ranking. Walterfootball has them #2. PFF does seem to think they're lucky but I think they'd be the first to say that last year just lacked great teams so having the Bengals at 8 has more to do with them projecting things that aren't super provable at the moment with other teams (like the Broncos being elite)

Honestly any high ranking of the Chiefs next year seems like a projection not really based on much outside of love for Reid, Mahomes and Kelce

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 3 types of people in this World. Those that can count, and those that can't.