• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

that time of year again

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Bud Foster rumor mill has begun...most of you have probably heard his name mentioned in the same sentence as Pitt....the one i am wondering is Mississippi State.

With Meyer stepping down, a lot people are seeming to think Dan Mullen will be heading back to Gainesville. Do you think Foster will be on Miss St's radar if this happens?

Decent team, in the SEC, dont know a whole lot about them, but they seem to play with that blue collar mentality that Bud has.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forty Sixand2:
I would be much more concerned about Louisville losing Strong to UF or WVU firing Stewart, than the MSU opening for two reasons.

1. No division in all of sports is more inbred than the SEC West. They rarely bring guys in from the outside unless they are former head coaches (Saban).

2. Does Bud really want to cut his coaching teeth in the toughest division in all of college football, where he will have to recruit and coach against Chizik, Saban, Petrino, Miles etc....

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forty Sixand2:
I would be much more concerned about Louisville losing Strong to UF or WVU firing Stewart, than the MSU opening for two reasons.

1. No division in all of sports is more inbred than the SEC West. They rarely bring guys in from the outside unless they are former head coaches (Saban).

2. Does Bud really want to cut his coaching teeth in the toughest division in all of college football, where he will have to recruit and coach against Chizik, Saban, Petrino, Miles etc....

my response to Forty Sexand2:
this is true...it depends on if foster would want to have a competitive team in a competitive conference...or...the big east, where someone could have a monkey throwing crap on a chalk board, call it a play, and win the conference.

of course the whole Miss St thing is all what ifs right now since Mullen is saying he is happy and committed to Miss St.

granted, a good couple of seasons in the big east can lead to better things (brian kelly)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forty Sixand2:

--I agree, with no ties to the SEC, I would kinda doubt he would be heavily courted by Mississippi State. That job would be a deathtrap for the wrong person who doesn't know the SEC and the recruiting turf in the Southeast. Having to complete with 'Bama, Auburn, Ole' Miss and LSU and get some decent talent would be no small feat. Dan Mullen has done a great job and he might not be there long.

--You make good points about Louisville. Bud has some sort of tie to Kentucky (playing at Murray State), he could compete in recruiting with Kentucky and Tennessee and possibly tap into some of the surrounding states like Illinois (his home state) and Indiana, where they have some talent, but the state schools are not so great. Not to mention Virginia. Even if he could get some of the leftovers from VT and UVa he could possibly have success in a weaker Big East Conference. Bud has not been know as a great recruiter, but with a good staff who knows the land, he might be an interesting prospect. Plus Louisville has sunk alot of money into its facilities in recent years.

--I think WVU and Pitt may be possibilities too, ultimately I don't think he goes anywhere. Weaver will fatten his pocket a little bit more and keep him where he needs to be until his time comes in a few more years..Blacksburg

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--I agree, with no ties to the SEC, I would kinda doubt he would be heavily courted by Mississippi State. That job would be a deathtrap for the wrong person who doesn't know the SEC and the recruiting turf in the Southeast. Having to complete with 'Bama, Auburn, Ole' Miss and LSU and get some decent talent would be no small feat. Dan Mullen has done a great job and he might not be there long.

--You make good points about Louisville. Bud has some sort of tie to Kentucky (playing at Murray State), he could compete in recruiting with Kentucky and Tennessee and possibly tap into some of the surrounding states like Illinois (his home state) and Indiana, where they have some talent, but the state schools are not so great. Not to mention Virginia. Even if he could get some of the leftovers from VT and UVa he could possibly have success in a weaker Big East Conference. Bud has not been know as a great recruiter, but with a good staff who knows the land, he might be an interesting prospect. Plus Louisville has sunk alot of money into its facilities in recent years.

--I think WVU and Pitt may be possibilities too, ultimately I don't think he goes anywhere. Weaver will fatten his pocket a little bit more and keep him where he needs to be until his time comes in a few more years..Blacksburg

i tend to lean that way as well...it would be nice for Foster to get some HC experience if we knew for a fact that he would come back to VT after Beamer retires. and he definitely deserves his chance at the HC spot, but all told, i'm much more comfortable with him on our sidelines!

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he will be here for at least the next year. I think the Pitt job is a perfect fit. Being in Pittsburgh makes me close to this. Pitt has had4 dynamite recruiting classes and has some serious studs on defense. Wanstedt stepped aside but will still be in the athletic department, perhaps as head of recruiting, and has strong ties to the area so he will be a great set of training wheels for the next coach.

Also, unlike the rest of the Big Eats, Pitt has a very good record of putting kids in the NFL, has a history of national championships and Heisman trophy winners and has top notch facilities (hello, Heinz Field). The only thing keeping Pitt from dominating the Big East for the past few years was Wanny's inability to coach superior Big East talent. He is the Al Groh of the Big Eats. Top notch recruiting class, a pipeline to high round draft classes and no on field success.

I like the Pitt position. I like the history and relevance of the school, but all the talk here is about an offensive guy. If I had to make a guess right now, it would be Russ Grimm.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant is saying that he had a dream that Urban was going to retire. (I shit you not, he said that). He is very close with Charlie Strong and some of the guys who are still down there so he is still very high on Florida.

Anthony had cooled on Florida quite a bit, and he has cooled further with the Meyer resignation. It looks like ti could be down to us and Klimpsum for him.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
what 46 said + he's just not interested in VT. He basically said that he's interested in florida for fla and meyer wasnt that big a part of it. Just me, but i gave up on grant long ago, just hope we can land SA and/or TH
SIDE NOTE: Driskel said he chose florida for meyer but he isnt wavering either.

Last edited by a moderator:

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we could pull Anthony and Hughes, I'd be ecstatic. Add Terrell and Marquise Williams, and I'm feeling really good about this recruiting class.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Personally if Grant going to UF helps us with Anthony, go for it Curtis.....

Yeah im with you on this one. i honestly think grant wins the "battle of the athletes" but anthony wins the battle of the LB's. If that makes sense. Hhaha

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
BTW FWIW: i just talked to a buddy of mine ( who's kinda in the know ) and he is saying that pitt already had a list of candidates before wannstedt was fired (or whatever you want to call it) & as of right now BF isnt in consideration for the job.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW FWIW: i just talked to a buddy of mine ( who's kinda in the know ) and he is saying that pitt already had a list of candidates before wannstedt was fired (or whatever you want to call it) & as of right now BF isnt in consideration for the job.

Me likey:D

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Poop, do you live in fancy gap or is that just a fb reference?

The reason i ask is because fancy gap is so small, but that's where my family is from.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poop, do you live in fancy gap or is that just a fb reference?

The reason i ask is because fancy gap is so small, but that's where my family is from.

Both. It is a Frankie Beams reference, but I live in Carroll County. My mother graduated with him and my uncle played football with him. I probably know your family. PM if you want to share more details.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yeah my great grandpa and beamers dad played on the first hillsville high school football team together, you know back when the mem were men haha. i didnt grow up there but still stop through from time to time to see my dad (hillsville) and grab some pancakes from the diner Haha. Not big about putting names and such on the net and im new to this site and not sure how 2 PM (maybe someone could explain) FYI my family ownes the big field across from VFW the one with the pond (part of the gun show/flea market)

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, well that explains your name then. To PM, you go to your user control panel and then go down to send message. Anyway, good to have more Hokies on here.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
i may be to lost for help but how do you get to your user control panel?

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just under the Sportshoopla banner, it's on the top left, called User CP