• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thanksgiving

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite days of the year. Turkey, Pumpkin Pie and hopefully watching the Cowpies getting their butts kicked.

I am always in charge of the bird(s) for our brood which is usually 25-30.

I use a fresh poultry blend (thyme, rosemary, sage), some fresh garlic, and a little onion, minced finely. Incorporate that mixture with a shitload of slightly melted butter and throw in some lemon juice, salt and pepper and let it set up to a nice workable consistency.

I then spread this heavenly concoction all over the bird, under the skin, on top of the skin, both sides. Salt the cavity well, throw some garlic, a halved onion, lemon rinds, and herb twigs into the cavity. Bake until golden brown basting and injecting often. I cook to about 165ish (yes...slightly under) and let it rest 15-30 before carving. A tried and true recipe. My bunch loves it and looks forward to it every year.

I don't stuff the turkey and bringing over cooked meat in my house is grounds for getting bitch slapped.

What are your go to Turkey Day recipes????

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turkey Confit...best turkey I every ate, but what isn't when baked in duck fat. Shoe leather would be good cooked this way as well.

Cut the turkey up in parts, bathe in duck fat acquired from your local butcher and bake in oven @ 350 til done...that's it.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite days of the year. Turkey, Pumpkin Pie and hopefully watching the Cowpies getting their butts kicked.

I use a fresh poultry blend (thyme, rosemary, sage), some fresh garlic, and a little onion, minced finely. Incorporate that mixture with a shitload of slightly melted butter and throw in some lemon juice, salt and pepper and let it set up to a nice workable consistency.

I then spread this heavenly concoction all over the bird, under the skin, on top of the skin, both sides. Salt the cavity well, throw some garlic, a halved onion, lemon rinds, and herb twigs into the cavity. Bake until golden brown basting and injecting often. I cook to about 165ish (yes...slightly under) and let it rest 15-30 before carving. A tried and true recipe. My bunch loves it and looks forward to it every year.

I don't stuff the turkey and bringing over cooked meat in my house is grounds for getting bitch slapped.

WUUUUT? Say it ain't so Joe.

I hate dressing in a pan but pull it out of a turkey's butt and I'll eat that stuff all day.(was gonna say "eat that shit all day", decided might be better not too).

Traditional menu, Turkey with stuffing, smashed taters (no instant shit this day) and gravy, green bean casserole, candied yams, scalloped corn and fresh cranberry sauce.

I make the scalloped corn using my mom's recipe. Wife used to make the turkey but the last couple years my daughter has had it at her house so she did the turkey. I miss my wife''s turkey. :bawling:

Last edited by a moderator:

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shoot that bird up with
shopping
and put it on the smoker with some mesquite and let that smoke roll.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll smoke a turkey once or twice a year. Usually brine it instead of injecting.

Thanksgiving needs the stuffed turkey though.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll smoke a turkey once or twice a year. Usually brine it instead of injecting.

Thanksgiving needs the stuffed turkey though.

I agree here, but the thought that people don't stuff a bird comes from the turkey juices NOT being brought up to proper temp by the time the bird meat is done to temp.

Problems easily taken care of by cooking the stuffed bird and letting it rest while the bird stuffing is then taken out and re-heated in a glass baking dish and making sure it is a done temp. Other benefits include getting a nice light crust on the bird stuffing before serving as well.

Bon Apetito

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree here, but the thought that people don't stuff a bird comes from the turkey juices NOT being brought up to proper temp by the time the bird meat is done to temp.

Problems easily taken care of by cooking the stuffed bird and letting it rest while the bird stuffing is then taken out and re-heated in a glass baking dish and making sure it is a done temp. Other benefits include getting a nice light crust on the bird stuffing before serving as well.

Bon Apetito

That's how we do it.:agree:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have anything to add other than use real cranberries. Fuck that shit in a can. Nothing drives me more insane than sitting down to a nice table of food, and then spotting that can shaped cranberry blob.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot that bird up with
shopping
and put it on the smoker with some mesquite and let that smoke roll.

Now I have done that several times and did smoke a turkey breast a few Thanksgivings back to supplement my oven bird. It was pretty dynamite.

As far as the stuffing goes.. I'm a bit impartial. We use the Turkey stock off of my turkey for the stuffing and gravy. I have stuffed the bird before but I see no difference in the taste of that versus oven baking. If anything I don't really like soggy stuffing so I would rather oven bake and be able to better control the texture/crust. I see your folks point though... It's a traditional thing.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I have done that several times and did smoke a turkey breast a few Thanksgivings back to supplement my oven bird. It was pretty dynamite.

As far as the stuffing goes.. I'm a bit impartial. We use the Turkey stock off of my turkey for the stuffing and gravy. I have stuffed the bird before but I see no difference in the taste of that versus oven baking. If anything I don't really like soggy stuffing so I would rather oven bake and be able to better control the texture/crust. I see your folks point though... It's a traditional thing.

I like stuffing with a crust and firm. Hold that giblet gravy better.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck that...stuffing in the bird is what the whole fucking day is about. Fuck that dry ass oven-baked shit.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if that fucking bird hasn't been brined, don't even set it in front of me.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kid...y'all do what ya do.

In my home...Brine is first and foremost.

Second, Sage better be involved at almost every level.

Sausage and apples in the stuffing and the stuffing in the bird is a MUST. You wanna make an extra casserole dish of that dried out bullshit, have at it, that's what we do for the women and children:happy:

A family tradition at my home, is cheesed onions. Pain in the ass, but SOOO ties it ALL together. Pearl onions in a basic roux/cheese sauce. Cheddar, paprika, dried parsley, vit D milk..mmmm

Apple pie and Ice cream.

Sammiches and turkey noodle soup fer weeks

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drive to mcdonalds, order 20 piece chicken nugget and buy some extra BBQ sauce. It's a winner!

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have anything to add other than use real cranberries. Fuck that shit in a can. Nothing drives me more insane than sitting down to a nice table of food, and then spotting that can shaped cranberry blob.

Why do you hate America?

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're having Thanksgiving late, which means no turkey sammiches :pout:

oh, and fried turkey is overrated

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've really warmed up to brussel spouts over the last 2 decades. Cut those suckers in half, blanch em and then fried on the stove top with your favorite marinade and olive oil, salt-n-pepper to taste and serve hot.

Tasty lil' sums-o-bitches...