• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers Spring Training 2020

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone wanted Cruz after Baltimore got him in the cheap. We did the offer and he refused wanting long term offer. All MLB did not offer long term offer. He did us dirty taking suspension and hurting playoff hopes

Not one person stated we should sign him long term. He has done better than all expected

It is just hater rhetoric to bash front office because that is what haters do. Obviously made mistakes like many do and did minus Orioles who were smart then but are now floor dwellers

Nothing to do with POM POM name calling. But go on believe what you like
It is laughable

Pretty funny how Cruz was offered a $14m QO by the Rangers, which he turned down, and the best he could do was a 1 year, $8m offer from the Orioles. If people thought he was still going to produce like he did, surely he could have landed a better deal, right? But it's a lot easier to say "JD fucked up by not re-signing him." Even though facts pretty much obliterate that theory.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty funny how Cruz was offered a $14m QO by the Rangers, which he turned down, and the best he could do was a 1 year, $8m offer from the Orioles. If people thought he was still going to produce like he did, surely he could have landed a better deal, right? But it's a lot easier to say "JD fucked up by not re-signing him." Even though facts pretty much obliterate that theory.
Obviously he would have done better but he was also suspect due to the PED and was also subpar defensively. We needed a lead off guy so we got Choo early who I thought wrong would be better defensively but he was still better than Cruz in the field.

Choo overall has not been that bad but he sure did not put us over the top.

Just find it ironic that this board who are Ranger fans want to use this non signing as a screwup. We offered him more than he got. So hindsight says we should have signed him to a multi year deal which he did not get or tender the QO which we did and then get him later on the lowball just before Baltimore did.

I fail to see the logic in this and if this board really knew how the market would be they are in the wrong business or it just fits ones own narrative. Sure I have my own bias as well which true or or I get called out on.

Facts have a tendency to obliterate

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me and several others on this board badly wanted to keep him when JD let him go.
They offered him the QO of $16M and he rejected it. No one offered him anything until Baltimore offered a 1 year deal at $8M. Who was the idiot? JD or Cruz

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone wanted Cruz after Baltimore got him in the cheap. We did the offer and he refused wanting long term offer. All MLB did not offer long term offer. He did us dirty taking suspension and hurting playoff hopes

Not one person stated we should sign him long term. He has done better than all expected

It is just hater rhetoric to bash front office because that is what haters do. Obviously made mistakes like many do and did minus Orioles who were smart then but are now floor dwellers

Nothing to do with POM POM name calling. But go on believe what you like
It is laughable
I wanted him to be signed everytime he became available and said so on the DMN site. The first time I either wanted them to go after him and others or rebuild. They did neither. Either direction would have been acceptable, but they played it down the middle and got run over by a big truck.

It isn't being a hater to disagree with someone that someone else is a big fan of. Not at all. That term gets thrown around way too easily.

I guess you couldn't stick to the unspoken dittos.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They offered him the QO of $16M and he rejected it. No one offered him anything until Baltimore offered a 1 year deal at $8M. Who was the idiot? JD or Cruz
Cruz first and then JD. Everyone, fans, front office, Cruz, teammates, all knew he would turn down that QO. The real negotiations started after that and everyone who has followed baseball at all, knows that, unless they are looking for excuses for JD.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solak's best position to improve the IF is known but will not likely come to pass for reasons not needing discussion any longer. Santana is our CF until someone can move him out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it would be better to put Solak in AAA until they have a fulltime position open up for him. One way or another he should probably end up as our starting 2B, either when Odor succeeds well enough to be traded, fails long enough to be replaced, or gets hurt.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz first and then JD. Everyone, fans, front office, Cruz, teammates, all knew he would turn down that QO. The real negotiations started after that and everyone who has followed baseball at all, knows that, unless they are looking for excuses for JD.

By all means, please point out the part where JD was an idiot. Please don't say "for not signing Cruz," because you don't know what was offered during the real negotiations. Also, we've already pointed out how Cruz' performance was completely unexpected and no FO would have signed him to a contract close to matching his performance, so try to avoid that as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it would be better to put Solak in AAA until they have a fulltime position open up for him. One way or another he should probably end up as our starting 2B, either when Odor succeeds well enough to be traded, fails long enough to be replaced, or gets hurt.
Injury is never wanted and should not be needed. The guts to do what is needed is missing and has been for some time. Nothing more is required if they want Solak at 2B.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW I root for Rangers not JD. Yet many on this board root against Ranger players and org. Situations are not always ideal but not a bad idea to find a positive. Bad plans work at times if people back them. That is for free

everyone on this board loves this team.

with that said, there are mistakes the front office has made and some of us here are not shy about not only pointing those mistakes out, but rooting for them to be corrected.

should we really shrug our shoulders and say “ aww shucks, we gave odor a contract. Let’s put him in the lineup everyday no matter what, no matter how bad he plays, because he’s paid well and we like him!”.

hell freaking no. The highest level of the game should be a meritocracy. Playing time should be fought for and earned with blood, sweat, and tears in spring training.

The rangers could not have screwed up the 2nd base position any worse since Kinsler has been traded. It is very disappointing and I’m never going to be satisfied with it until we have a good second baseman again.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury is never wanted and should not be needed. The guts to do what is needed is missing and has been for some time. Nothing more is required if they want Solak at 2B.
No, injuries are never wished on anyone.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor hits another HR today.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC

Teams offers him $16 million. He turns it down. Team moves on. He signs for $8 million.

And it's somehow the team's fault? This is why you have zero credibility.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC

Teams offers him $16 million. He turns it down. Team moves on. He signs for $8 million.

And it's somehow the team's fault? This is why you have zero credibility.

I don't need any credibility from you while you bury your head in the sand.

You don't even understand about the nature of that QO. Or do you, and just can't admit it. Lol

Hilarious!!!

Last edited:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one in their right mind would have thought Cruz would have kept producing the way he has. It's only a "mistake" thanks to hindsight.

That is not completely accurate. There was zero hindsight for me and I had no doubt Cruz would continue to produce

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn’t Cruz asking for $13-14M a year and ended up signing for $8M?

He was offered a QO and didnt take it and he ended up getting just the 8m dollar deal. The Rangers were fools, could have been there all along for less money