• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 Spring Training

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this, especially the 100-125 innings, there's going to be a lot of teams building pitchers back up about 3 innings at a time, there's going to be a lot of starters going 3-4 innings, with the next reliever being a starter going 3-4 innings as well

I think those who are used to a traditional 5 man staff are going to find this maddening, bc i know some people hate the opener idea, but TB has built a number of solid ML starters using this approach
Yes how pitchers fare this year with perhaps some caps on total innings will be quite interesting

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"We traded for Lowe, dog-gone-it, and he is going to be the man no matter what!!!"

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes how pitchers fare this year with perhaps some caps on total innings will be quite interesting
I still would like to see some sports medical personnel weigh in on what is the best technique to use in limiting innings. Would it be better to keep a guy stretched out and then shut him down when he gets to 125 innings or so, or is it best to let him pitch 3 or 4 innings per start, all year long? Will conditioning a starter to only go 3 or 4 innings for a full year have any negative effects when he goes back to the traditional starters role?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not understanding Woody's logic here. Guzman has better stats for the most part on offense and defense is he is top notch. I would like to see Guzman get the nod being we are in a rebuild and he has shown improvement at the plate.
Not much logic, I don't think. It might be a JD decision.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this, especially the 100-125 innings, there's going to be a lot of teams building pitchers back up about 3 innings at a time, there's going to be a lot of starters going 3-4 innings, with the next reliever being a starter going 3-4 innings as well
And you can mix/match the 2 pitchers depending on how far you want one to go today, or by who started last time, or how far they went last time out. It should be interesting to see just exactly how they handle it, I mean it's a flexible system if you have enough bodies 4-5 should do the trick quite nicely...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not understanding Woody's logic here. Guzman has better stats for the most part on offense and defense is he is top notch. I would like to see Guzman get the nod being we are in a rebuild and he has shown improvement at the plate.
Woody's logic translated:

1). How much did we give up to get Lowe???

2). And Guzman has more flexibility to play more positions...

No brainer until one starts stinking it up and then something will change...

Now the $64K question is do they have the balls to cut Odor??? :think:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m almost starting to fear that odor will be a ranger until he’s 40. This front office is unbelievably incompetent.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get it. We will never know what we have in Guzman because they just can't leave the guy alone for a substantial amount of time and let him be the everyday 1st baseman. A backup 1b/RF/LF. Are you kidding me?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woody's logic translated:

1). How much did we give up to get Lowe???

2). And Guzman has more flexibility to play more positions...

No brainer until one starts stinking it up and then something will change...

Now the $64K question is do they have the balls to cut Odor??? :think:
Those two may be related. They could have worked out Lowe at 3B this spring. He has played some there in the minors, a few games anyway. That would have allowed both Guzman and Lowe to play for a few months, and then a much more educated decision could be made regarding who to keep at 1B in the longterm, or if both succeeded, one could have been traded. But alas, they needed a spot for Odor, because we certainly can't sit that contract or dump him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they keep Yang cause they want another LHed pitcher on the roster... :noidea:

If they hadn't taken Garcia off the 40 last year he might be getting his chance now, but maybe later after a few more injuries occur and if he's raking in AAA... :think:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still would like to see some sports medical personnel weigh in on what is the best technique to use in limiting innings. Would it be better to keep a guy stretched out and then shut him down when he gets to 125 innings or so, or is it best to let him pitch 3 or 4 innings per start, all year long? Will conditioning a starter to only go 3 or 4 innings for a full year have any negative effects when he goes back to the traditional starters role?
Honestly i don't think anyone knows...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly i don't think anyone knows...

If it's like going to the gym and doing the same workout over and over and over and not stretching yourself out periodically you will stagnate and not progress. And when you do stretch yourself out you don't over do it and you take a little extra rest before you go back to your regimen. You also have to take time off periodically to rest up (just like the off season) so your body can catch up, recuperate and ready itself for an expanded regimen if you have one in mind...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I think we will see a trade or two in the next few days. There are some things that don't make a lot of sense, that could be cleared up with a trade or two.