• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well 5 minutes later is been posted that the deal is for real

Dodgers, Red Sox Agree To Mookie Betts/David Price Trade

With a potential 3rd team involved
Would be crazy if it’s the Rangers

dodgers would easily be a team I’d root for in the playoffs if the rangers don’t make it.

they haven’t won a World Series since the 80’s and they got screwed over by 2 different teams cheating in the World Series 2 years in a row.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers trade for Mookie Betts and David Price, and the Angels take advantage of the Dodgers crowded OF situation and take Joc Pederson off their hands.

Meanwhile, we sign perpetual disappointment Greg Bird as yet another reclamation project. And this is why we will NEVER be a competitive team as long as Ray Davis, Bob Simpson, and Jon Daniels are in charge.

The Bird signing, in a vacuum, is totally fine and some might even say a worthwhile and smart gamble. But when ALL you do is sign reclamation projects like Greg Bird, you are doomed to fail. Sure, a few of them will hit, as they have for JD over the years. You’ll get a bounce-back year from Eric Gagné or a back-from-the-dead year from Hunter Pence, and you will get a pat on the back from pundits and boosted performance on the field. But for every Gagné and Pence, there’s a Matt Moore, Drew Smyly, Edison Volquez, Shelby Miller, and Jeff Mathis.

So maybe Bird succeeds. Maybe Lyles puts up really good #3 stats. But the law of averages, especially when it comes to players like Bird who have multiple bad seasons in their recent past, says that most of the cheap bargain bin signings JD has now made himself famous for doing will be failures. Even our “big” acquisition of the offseason, Kluber, has about 1.5 seasons now of questionable performance and declining velocity due to injury.

I no longer have any inside connections working for the team, so I can’t say with 100% certainty whether it’s ownership completely tying JD’s hands (most likely), JD thinking he can outsmart all other teams by building on the cheap and refusing to deal prospects, or a combination of the two. But whatever the case, I’ve got a newsflash for them- IT IS OK TO SIGN LEGITIMATE STAR PLAYERS WITH FEW TO NO RED FLAGS.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While I agree with a lot of the points you made, a couple of comments.

Rengifo is a top prospect who can play second and shortstop and is a switch hitter. Joc Pederson (36 home runs) had 0 home runs against lefties because he can’t hit them. If the Angels resigned Kole Calhoun this trade is never made.

Kluber has lost 1.6 miles off his fastball in the last 5 years. That’s normal. Also it’s not his best pitch anyway.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love Betts but he is a FA after this year. This is what was reported on Boston radio and why Boston felt like they had to let him go.

The former Red Sox infielder reported Tuesday on WEEI's "Ordway, Merloni & Fauria" that Boston offered Betts a 10-year, $300 million contract extension following the 2018 season. Betts countered with 12 years and $420 million, according to Merloni, and the deal fell through.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston may have done well in getting Verdugo and Graterol.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love Betts but he is a FA after this year. This is what was reported on Boston radio and why Boston felt like they had to let him go.

The former Red Sox infielder reported Tuesday on WEEI's "Ordway, Merloni & Fauria" that Boston offered Betts a 10-year, $300 million contract extension following the 2018 season. Betts countered with 12 years and $420 million, according to Merloni, and the deal fell through.

This trade was all about getting out from under the Price contract and getting something for Betts before they had to spend a ton of money on him. They get a pretty good pitching prospect and Verdugo and then they can spend on pitching going forward. Probably a good deal for both sides since they print money in LA unlike the tight ass ownership in Texas. Problem is Dodgers give up Maeda and they need pitching to win a WS

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade was all about getting out from under the Price contract and getting something for Betts before they had to spend a ton of money on him. They get a pretty good pitching prospect and Verdugo and then they can spend on pitching going forward. Probably a good deal for both sides since they print money in LA unlike the tight ass ownership in Texas. Problem is Dodgers give up Maeda and they need pitching to win a WS

losing maeda should be offset by price tho.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will is right.

we have seen way too many of these reclamation projects the last few years. At the same time, we’ve seen some unusually stubborn “stick with the plan” with guys who are not even coming close to performing like odor and Guzman.

I will say it until it sinks in because JD loves to overlook it.

the infield is the weakness of our team

the infield is the weakness of our damn team.

All we did was sign a stopgap at 3rd base. Very lackluster effort there.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
losing maeda should be offset by price tho.

Dodgers also got a good pitching prospect but Maeda had a good year last year and Price may be better in the NL in the regular season but in the playoffs he isn't near what he once was. Always thought the Red Sox overpaid. Price and Kershaw vs the AL in a WS wouldn't give me a whole lot of hope in a WS series. Nats pitching to me is considerably better

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will is right.

we have seen way too many of these reclamation projects the last few years. At the same time, we’ve seen some unusually stubborn “stick with the plan” with guys who are not even coming close to performing like odor and Guzman.

I will say it until it sinks in because JD loves to overlook it.

the infield is the weakness of our damn team.

All we did was sign a stopgap at 3rd base. Very lackluster effort there.

Nobody would argue that

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your right and the last time Boston unloaded a boatload of well known players to the Dodgers they went on to win the WS.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have just the team JD and the owners hoped for and planned on from day one of the off-season. They got everyone thinking that they were going to compete for players like Rendon, Arenado etc while their intent was to always underbid and come up happily short

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have just the team JD and the owners hoped for and planned on from day one of the off-season. They got everyone thinking that they were going to compete for players like Rendon, Arenado etc while their intent was to always underbid and come up happily short
You could be right, or JD could have simply went about his job very poorly. I am not sure which is worse.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look...we’re all slightly disappointed the Rangers aren’t better.

But they’re in a bad spot. Even with the acquisition of 3/5th of a new rotation, they’re projected to win 79 games. They could go out and spend hundreds of millions of dollars and set a team record for payroll, and they’d still be projected to finish behind the Yankees, Astros, Twins, Rays, and As. It just doesn’t make sense to go for it now. If there was more progress from our non Gallo players and the team was projected to win mid 80s, I think they’d spend to become a legit playoff contender.

They know the new stadium will sell tickets this year. We need more progress from our own players this season. Choo and Fielder come off the books next year. They’ll be in a good financial position if the team is ready to win.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they’re in a bad spot. Even with the acquisition of 3/5th of a new rotation, they’re projected to win 79 games. They could go out and spend hundreds of millions of dollars and set a team record for payroll, and they’d still be projected to finish behind the Yankees, Astros, Twins, Rays, and As. It just doesn’t make sense to go for it now. If there was more progress from our non Gallo players and the team was projected to win mid 80s, I think they’d spend to become a legit playoff contender.

They know the new stadium will sell tickets this year. We need more progress from our own players this season. Choo and Fielder come off the books next year. They’ll be in a good financial position if the team is ready to win.

relying on the same deadbeats odor and Guzman doesn’t seem too smart to me.

we saw what they could do the last few years. How many more chances are these losers going to get?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Betts would not make us a serious WS contender. A Rendon made sense. 1 and 2 year contracts do not

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So this is what baseball has become.
Free agency helped players and now teams make cheap moves. Even the Sox

It is all business. The game is pure but the business on both sides owners and players steals the joy. Very mercenary.

I was a ST holder for years but doubt it ever happens again for me even after retirement. Just don’t want to support the business part of baseball so much

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right, or JD could have simply went about his job very poorly. I am not sure which is worse.
Or neither of you could be right or what I think or are assumed to think could be wrong too.