• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas QB Ash out for spring, broken foot

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have surgery.

So is it official that Swoops will be the man now?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have surgery.

So is it official that Swoops will be the man now?

Its official that Swoopes is the only other QB on campus. Texas expects Wittek to transfer. Heard has been called a special prospect at QB, but will not come until the summer. Basically it is a mess. Not good with the schedule fromt loaded

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its official that Swoopes is the only other QB on campus. Texas expects Wittek to transfer. Heard has been called a special prospect at QB, but will not come until the summer. Basically it is a mess. Not good with the schedule fromt loaded

I'm just dumbfounded by the lack of QB stock at Texas. Hard to fathom.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that this isn't bad news.
I always thought that Strong would go out and get the kind of QB he wants to run his system and start that guy. Maybe a freshman but most probably a JUCO.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that this isn't bad news.
I always thought that Strong would go out and get the kind of QB he wants to run his system and start that guy. Maybe a freshman but most probably a JUCO.

Sure but isn't it too late for that?

Spring practice is almost over.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but isn't it too late for that?

Spring practice is almost over.

yeah, I think it is, I just thought that's what he would do when he first came in.
Swoops has looked like dog shit whenever I saw him come into games, but I don't think that means anything at all. How do you just have 1 QB??

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not all that bad of news.

ASH is competent and a nice guy, buy ASH was a holdover from Brown's system.
Strong runs a little different system and was probably looking forward to cultivating one of the young guys.

They actually have a lot of young quarterbacking talent.
They just don't have a lot of veteran guys.

Either transfer Wittek or holdover Ash was going to be a one year starter to merely hold the spot down while developing the young guys.

This probably makes it easier for Wittek to join the team now.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold the spot down and develop the young guys????
Really.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ash just did texas another huge favor. Sorry D but it's the truth!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I think it is, I just thought that's what he would do when he first came in.
Swoops has looked like dog shit whenever I saw him come into games, but I don't think that means anything at all. How do you just have 1 QB??

I didnt see that. He actually looked fine. His throw vs Oregon was the best thrown ball of the yr, dropped by Davis. More importantly he got next to 0 meaningful experience. He just wasnt asked to do much. He is mobile, more Tebow than Vick. His arm strength in NFL caliber. That said he is really raw. Still questionable accuracy and I am not sure he is ready for the mental part of the game. At this pt if either Swoopes or Heard, who Whitfield called the best incoming freshman QB, play significant minutes there will at least be significant growing pains.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just dumbfounded by the lack of QB stock at Texas. Hard to fathom.

Yep. I hate to beat a dead horse, as I've said all along, "Mr February" wasn't so Februaryish.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ash's injury just means he misses one week of spring practice, the spring game and only about a month of conditioning. While it is attention grabbing, it is almost meaningless.
OT Kent Perkins suffering a knee injury in March is worse than Ash's injury.

AFA Mack Brown and the QB position, he has always done a terrible job retaining and managing QBs.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor kid.

Did NOT catch a break.

At least he's not like Derp and has to drug girls to get in their britches.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ash's injury just means he misses one week of spring practice, the spring game and only about a month of conditioning. While it is attention grabbing, it is almost meaningless.
OT Kent Perkins suffering a knee injury in March is worse than Ash's injury.

AFA Mack Brown and the QB position, he has always done a terrible job retaining and managing QBs.

Perkins injury is worse, but it is more than a week. Team does 7 on 7s throught out the summer, player run. It is an important time to get familiar with new WRs and develop timing. That time will be lost

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I hate to beat a dead horse, as I've said all along, "Mr February" wasn't so Februaryish.

I wouldn't lay all the blame on Mack. Nowadays, these QB's hate competition. Once they don't get their way and aren't first string, they transfer immediately. Connor Wood and Connor Brewer were 4 star QB's out of high school, but neither could beat out Ash. Same thing happened with Colt McCoy. Jevan Snead and GJ Kinne were supposed to compete for the starting QB job at Texas, but neither one could beat out Colt so Snead transferred to Ole Miss and Kinne transferred to Tulsa. People forget that Mack can actually recruit QB's (Major, Adam Dunn, Chrissy Simms, VY, Colt, Jevan Snead, GJ Kinne, Garrett Gilbert, John Brantley at one point); it's kinda out of Mack's hands when they transfer b/c they couldn't win the starting job. Plus, nobody expected the Gatorade and USA National Player of the Year and all time leading passer in Texas high school football history to bust out so bad (Garrett Gilbert) and GG set back our QB position by about 3 years.

FYI, word out of spring camp is that Swoopes is doing terrible. It's so bad that the coaches are happy when he can complete a 5 yd slant to a TE. Then again, VY was notoriously known for having bad spring practices and GG looked like a Heisman contender in spring practice, so I guess you can take this with a grain of salt, although I still don't think Swoopes is the answer.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oklahoma Spring Game is going on right now.
I can't emphasize enough how good all 4 QB's look right now.
Baker Mayfield actually looks really good, although they said he cant even play this year, was 5 for 5 in the first half.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw the OU spring game was today, it was on one of the channels, but I had to leave. Have been watching the baseball series though (insert smiley face)

The worst part about the Ash injury is that the spring game will suffer. With only one QB, and one who is lacking refinement at that, it will be less fun to watch.

Good news is Ash was granted a medical redshirt from last year. Longhorn fans who don't realize that he's our best chance of having a good year this year, are missing something. Wittek may come in, which would help. But Ash is better.

Heard has a good chance of being the real deal (though I wish he would get to redshirt this year at least, which is where Ash comes in). That QB guru George Whitfield thinks Heard will be a stud, and will start this year. Trent Dilfer said he has Heisman written all over him. Whatever all that is worth, he should be pretty good.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the Texas spring game?