• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas and Okie reportedly interested in joining SEC ....

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be. Now to decide which ones they go with. Outside the B12, SMU and Houston come with the 2 largest media markets.
I don't think Houston will leapfrog to the Pac.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Houston will leapfrog to the Pac.
I'm not sure the PAC would want SMU either, with their ignominious history

I've always wanted to use the word "ignominious" in a post

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the likeness ruling has a lot to do with this.

Texas & OU are traditional powers with huge number of fans. Couple that with the biggest and best conference in football, and you have tremendous potential for recruits to make mad money. On that basis, I think OU & Texas will be able to compete with Bama, LSU, UGA. The A&Ms, Auburns, Mississippi schools, Arkansas better get their "likeness" cash generating machine going for recruits.
Yes there is no question this was a factor

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pac12 and big10 want aau schools....that only leaves ku and isu as options

i want the new god squad conference to emerge!

nd
duke
byu
tcu
bailer
liberty
pepperdine
loyola chicago
valpo

oowee jesus would bumper sticker the shit out his wagon with those powerhouses.
Need Boston College in there.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they would prefer those two leagues, but the chances are pretty slim that either the PAC or the B1G wants those schools.

Pretty sure nobody else would want Baylor, even after their basketball championship. They're going to end up in a G5 conference.
There are some good programs left.

add okie st. , WVA, Iowa st…… and

get ND to join the conference they belong in.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G better be careful, I could see SEC trying to pouch OSU for sure, then maybe Michigan, Penn State or Wisconsin.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question. Honestly.

Looking at the bottom 6 teams in the SEC, in what way do they benefit by having OU and Tx added to the conference? because let's be brutally honest, those are just two more teams that will beat the shit out of Tenn, Vandy, Miss St, Ky, SC, & Ark............ It's not like the SEC is adding two bottom dwellers or two middle of the roaders................ these are two blue blood programs.

Basically......... Vanderbilt: "yes, PLEASE!!!! sign us up for two more ass beatings every year. Please make it even harder for us ever sniff being in the conf. championship" (in that odd rare year we are good) Hey, NW did it.....

In addition to these 6 teams, there is a guaranteed no vote coming from the Aggies who are in the top tier of the league. The league needs 11 of 14 to be yes votes. 4 votes would keep them out. They have 1. only need 3 more votes for them to be rejected. Just throwing out this not far fetched scenario that would really make things interesting.......

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question. Honestly.

Looking at the bottom 6 teams in the SEC, in what way do they benefit by having OU and Tx added to the conference? because let's be brutally honest, those are just two more teams that will beat the shit out of Tenn, Vandy, Miss St, Ky, SC, & Ark............ It's not like the SEC is adding two bottom dwellers or two middle of the roaders................ these are two blue blood programs.

Basically......... Vanderbilt: "yes, PLEASE!!!! sign us up for two more ass beatings every year. Please make it even harder for us ever sniff being in the conf. championship" (in that odd rare year we are good) Hey, NW did it.....

In addition to these 6 teams, there is a guaranteed no vote coming from the Aggies who are in the top tier of the league. The league needs 11 of 14 to be yes votes. 4 votes would keep them out. They have 1. only need 3 more votes for them to be rejected. Just throwing out this not far fetched scenario that would really make things interesting.......

Are those teams going to challenge the Bamas, UGAs, Floridas, LSUs?

For them it's

See the source image

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are those teams going to challenge the Bamas, UGAs, Floridas, LSUs?

For them it's

See the source image
I think OU can. they may have a 1-2 year adjustment but will be up there with bama............ as of right now, I'd take OU over all of them besides the bammers........ and I think Texas will be back.

the money thing honestly sucks.

so those bottom 6 teams will end up with even worse records but be secretly happy because they got a bigger bag of cash........ kinda sad for players and fans.............. 'yay!!! we suck but we have a little bit bigger bag of cash and we're the bitch of 8 other universities in our conference!!! Go US!!!"

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question. Honestly.

At face value adding in two more premier programs is pretty daunting but there just isn't enough elite talent out there to make every single one of those teams great every year. Even last year the only truly top 10 teams in the SEC West were Alabama and A&M, LSU and Auburn were pretty mediocre. When LSU and Auburn come back then A&M will probably be in a down cycle. Being in the SEC now there may be some recruits that OU and Texas take away from LSU or even Alabama that they weren't getting before so it creates more parity.

Arkansas actually has a winning record over Texas since we joined the SEC lol. With the right coach any one of those programs can win a national title but with those expectations they can also all end up like Texas has lately and recycle through coaches every 3-4 years trying to win one and end up with some stinkers. Everyone is going to beat each other up to death...should be fun though.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They competed ? They lost easily to Alabama who cruised after getting a big lead. They got Slaughtered by LSU. The only competitive Playoff game was against Georgia. OU blew a big lead in that game. I am not saying they won't compete. Recent history shows they don't have the tools currently to beat the best of the SEC. Maybe a few recruiting cycles will help but Alabama, Georgia and others aren't going to get worse at recruiting and your school joining the SEC gives those schools greater access to your region. Look what Alabama started recruiting from Texas once TAMU joined the SEC. They got some of their best Offensive talent out of that State once that region was opened up to them. This last Class alone Alabama landed 7 players from Texas 2 5 Stars. What you perceive as a new advantage for OU Alabama and Saban usually turns into an advantage for them.
Alabama & Georgia will still be able to pull in most of the players they go after in Georgia & Florida; but now Florida, Auburn, Miami & Florida St. (along with Ohio St. & Clemson) will be battling Oklahoma & Texas for the rest of the players in those two states, and everyone else will be taking a back seat. Alabama will still recruit strongly at home, as well as in Louisiana, Texas & California; but the newcomers will be able to make some inroads there as well.

As far as recruiting goes, the Sooners & Longhorns have more to gain by their exposure to SEC territories. Bama, LSU & Texas A&M already recruit well in Texas, and the State of Oklahoma doesn't offer up much in the high school ranks.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not scared of OU as long as Saban is in Alabama. Heck look at your recruiting class this year. IF OU ends up in the West...They have the 4th best class just from that Division. Maybe it does get better for them but it really looks like OU (again no offense intended) is going to have to adjust their expectations a little bit. Winning the West alone is probably a 1 in 4 year thing for OU. That is a big change from winning the Big 12 every year.
If the SEC sticks to a two-division format, then the likely set-up would be that Alabama & Auburn get shifted to the East, and Oklahoma & Texas will end up in the West, along with Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi St. & LSU, with Missouri being brought in from the East.