• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Texas A&M @ UCLA

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sumlin is hard to explain but he could be easily explained. (How do ya like that sentence?)

Excellent success with mid-majors doesn't guarantee success with the big boys. The college
football landscape is littered with the bodies of ex-Boise St coaches. (Except Peterson)

Sometimes, folks tend to forget the key to success in College Football. And it's not a
secret, it just gets lost with all the spreads, passing routes, schemes, Star rankings, all
that crap. If you're gonna win and I'm discussing winning big-time, the roadmap is
simple. Whoever controls the off-tackle hole, both offensively and defensively, is gonna
win. It's been like that since 1869. It's never changed and never will.

I believe Saban is well aware of that and so is Meyer. Dominance begins at the line
of scrimmage.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ, what did you do, give up and turn off the TV after @trojanfan12 told posted it was over in the first quarter?

:lol:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive been saying it for a while , Rosen is a hella QB but his mouth gets him in trouble often. He throws really great passes and his technique is superb.

If he goes to a team with a good OL and just decent RB's and WR's he'll be a very good QB.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sumlin is hard to explain but he could be easily explained. (How do ya like that sentence?)

Excellent success with mid-majors doesn't guarantee success with the big boys. The college
football landscape is littered with the bodies of ex-Boise St coaches. (Except Peterson)

Sometimes, folks tend to forget the key to success in College Football. And it's not a
secret, it just gets lost with all the spreads, passing routes, schemes, Star rankings, all
that crap. If you're gonna win and I'm discussing winning big-time, the roadmap is
simple. Whoever controls the off-tackle hole, both offensively and defensively, is gonna

I believe Saban is well aware of that and so is Meyer. Dominance begins at the line
of scrimmage.
:agree:

And there will be anomalies like yesterday's game or systems like Mike Leach's air raid attack, but for the long haul, getting them downfield running backs a lane up the middle consistently, controls the clocks, opens up everything else offensively, and keeps your defense fresh.

Teams still need some ball skill talent, and that's when seasons go from being top ranked to special...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I watched it all.....
Then...........

giphy.gif

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

And there will be anomalies like yesterday's game or systems like Mike Leach's air raid attack, but for the long haul, getting them downfield running backs a lane up the middle consistently, controls the clocks, opens up everything else offensively, and keeps your defense fresh.

Teams still need some ball skill talent, and that's when seasons go from being top ranked to special...

I understand that, BUT Texas AM didn't need 2 more td's and more skill. All they needed was
3 more rushing first downs and there wouldn't have been enough time for UCLA to get the comeback.

UCLA loaded the box...AM couldn't knock them off the ball...AM had to toss it and the incompletions
stopped the clock. When you go to the 4th quarter leading 44-17, you're not playing UCLA anymore,
you're playing the clock. AM lost the clock battle, because they couldn't control the off-tackle hole.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, BUT Texas AM didn't need 2 more td's and more skill. All they needed was
3 more rushing first downs and there wouldn't have been enough time for UCLA to get the comeback.

UCLA loaded the box...AM couldn't knock them off the ball...AM had to toss it and the incompletions
stopped the clock. When you go to the 4th quarter leading 44-17, you're not playing UCLA anymore,
you're playing the clock. AM lost the clock battle, because they couldn't control the off-tackle hole.
I didn't see them try to run it enough in the 4th quarter, personally. I would have kept going to the well especially with the true freshman in at QB, ran some play option stuff, but they didn't.

Pretty much, leading 44-17 well enough into the 4th, pretty much everything had to go wrong for TAMU and everything right for UCLA, and that's what happened.

There was a bigger reason than the Bruins stacking the box and the Aggies not controlling the off tackle hole for the comeback, and in yesterday's game, there was a whole lotta fate, fortune and a very talented QB in Josh Rosen going on!

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

of scrimmage.
A&M did dominate both sides of the line of scrimmage in the first half but in the second half Sumlin and Chevis decided for whatever reason let off the gas. I don't blame to much on Mazzone I think he was trying to do the right things for Mond. Mond was doing the right reads and all but he's a true freshmen. Starkel was ok when he was in.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A&M did dominate both sides of the line of scrimmage in the first half but in the second half Sumlin and Chevis decided for whatever reason let off the gas. I don't blame to much on Mazzone I think he was trying to do the right things for Mond. Mond was doing the right reads and all but he's a true freshmen. Starkel was ok when he was in.

Accepted...BUT when they stopped dominating, for whatever reason, they got their ass beat.
When the coaches believe the game is in the bag and lose focus...the players will follow. Emotion
isn't controlled by a switch on the wall.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accepted...BUT when they stopped dominating, for whatever reason, they got their ass beat.
When the coaches believe the game is in the bag and lose focus...the players will follow. Emotion
OL still did a decent job run blocking and yards per carry for either RB didn't go down much. I understand freshman QB not passing well. The thing that upsets a lot of us when watching the aggie offense blow leads is snapping the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock. A&M was still moving the ball in the second half. Didn't find the end zone but they got enough first downs that they could have easily burned 7-8 minutes of the fourth quarter just by letting the play clock run down to 1-2 seconds before they snapped the ball. A 4-TD comeback isn't as probable if the other team has limited opportunities and time

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think the problem is we don't have a killer instinct since these coaches get to complacent playing not to lose than to win. Saw it in 2011 with Sherman,and then you see it happening the past couple years with Sumlin.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA only had the ball for 6:39 of the 4th quarter. AM for 8:21.

AM ran 26 [lays in that time frame while UCLA got off 31. (You would expect that with them
being in hurry up)

But AM only gained 78 yards. The Bruins 311.

AM needed first downs and they couldn't get them.