• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ten programs that need a big spring - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten programs that need a big spring - ESPN
By Gerry Hamilton

Junior days are underway, and the spring evaluation period is quickly approaching. While a number of programs are off to a fast start and in need of keeping impressive commitments in the fold, there also are programs in need of creating momentum and battling archrivals on the trail this spring and headed into the summer.

Here is a look at 10 programs that need a big spring, for various reasons (listed alphabetically):

i
Florida
The Gators saved the 2015 class in the days leading up to national signing day creating some momentum heading into the spring and summer. The time to capitalize is now for Jim McElwain and staff, and Florida simply must continue to gain steam with archrival Florida State swinging a big recruiting stick in state, and Miami on a run headed into the spring evaluation period. Florida currently has three verbals, all outside the ESPN Junior 300.

i
Kentucky
The Wildcats suffered one of the toughest finishes to the 2015 class, with a number of decommitments. The decision of in-state running back Damien Harris of Alabama seemingly halted all momentum. Kentucky is off to a strong start in 2016 with 11 pledges, including three ESPN Junior 300 verbals. The key for Mark Stoops and staff is holding onto what is in the fold to hang onto some positive momentum this spring heading into the summer. Having the top four prospects in state committed certainly is a positive to draw on for Kentucky fans.

i
LSU
The Tigers are off to a terrific start in 2016, and have as many or more top prospects on the board as any program in the country due to a very strong defensive line class in state and the national appeal LSU carries. Keeping the class in the fold is always key, but adding to the class and gaining momentum with three new assistant hires, including Ed Orgeron, is huge for the Tigers with the competition for top prospects being the likes of Alabama, Auburn, Florida State and others. Not having 17 spring evaluation days due to the rules infractions in the Matt Womack recruitment will make the staff’s job that much more important and difficult.

i
Miami
The Hurricanes have the top 2016 class to date. With nine ESPN Junior 300 verbals, including a terrific group of skill players, Al Golden and staff are working from a position of strength with nice momentum headed into the spring and summer. The key is continuing to stay hot on the trail, and that means keeping the class together and committed with top programs making serious runs at a number of prospects, including Florida State with speedy running back Amir Rasul. The Hurricanes will undoubtedly face some strong negative recruiting on the trail.

i
Michigan
Jim Harbaugh and staff got to Ann Arbor late and were working at a disadvantage in the 2015 class due to timing. In 2016, it’s imperative that the Wolverines gain some traction on the trail, and the spring evaluation period headed into the summer is going to be huge in getting prospects on campus through the summer. With only two commitments, there is plenty of opportunity for Michigan to grab some momentum in April and May in a region that is a tough fight with Ohio State the national champion, James Franklin being a terrific recruiter at Penn State, and Notre Dame having the strong national appeal and recent success on the field.

i
Nebraska
Mike Riley and staff are seemingly working harder on the trail from a social media and national recruiting perspective than the Cornhuskers have in many a year. The offensive line class is off to a terrific start with a pair of ESPN Junior 300 verbals from the Midwest. The big task for the new Nebraska staff, however, will be national recruiting and evaluation from an organizational standpoint. They have to identify guys who have enough talent to play for them and then get them to visit Lincoln, which is not an easy draw for prospects in the Southeast and West. Skill players and defensive line talent are the priority outside the region.

i
Notre Dame
The landscape for the Fighting Irish has changed plenty in the last couple of years. Ohio State is now the defending national champion, James Franklin is a recruiting machine at Penn State, Michigan State has enjoyed consistent success, and now Michigan is rejuvenated with Jim Harbaugh at the helm. That means the fight for top prospects in the Midwest and on the upper East Coast is more difficult than in recent memory. With ace recruiter Tony Alford having left for the Buckeyes, as well as Texas native and Lone Star State recruiter Kerry Cooks going to Oklahoma, the job of recruiting in the state of Florida, Georgia and Texas just got tougher as well.

i
Texas
The fight for momentum in the state of Texas for the Longhorns continues with Texas A&M continuing to hang onto the “cool school” label. While Charlie Strong and staff inking a Top 10 class in 2015, signing another Top 10 level class is imperative for a program in need of a talent infusion. Reeling in a quality quarterback was job No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3, and ESPN Junior 300 Shane Buechele is a nice check mark to begin the class. Building it out with defensive line and offensive skill is now the task at hand.

i
TCU
The Horned Frogs have capitalized on the terrific 2014 season with a trio of talented ESPN Junior 300 pledges among eight commits. Now the job of Gary Patterson and staff is hanging on to those as other programs will realize this spring TCU is sound in the 2016 evaluations, as well as continuing to make the most of momentum heading into what could be another 12-win season or better and a preseason top 5 ranking.

i
UCLA
The Bruins continue to have success on the trail under Jim Mora Jr. After a terrific finish to the class on national signing day, UCLA heads into the spring continuing to try and battle USC in Southern California, as well as Oregon, upstart Arizona State and traditional national powers looking West such as Michigan and Notre Dame. The Bruins will spend many an evaluation day working nationally and especially in Texas and east to Georgia and Florida. With two verbals, including No. 57 Breland Brandt, UCLA is looking to keep the Feb. 4 momentum rolling.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone is sitting there thinking my team doesn't need a big Spring then they are an idiot. Spring sets the tone I knew after A Day Auburn was in trouble the team was too relaxed and unfocused.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN sucks. Especially their college football recruiting BS they try to put out.

What a fucking horrible article.

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa isn't on this list?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN sucks. Especially their college football recruiting BS they try to put out.

What a fucking horrible article.

That is my favorite. I love when the talk about pre-season rankings and include the 2015 recruiting ranking. The is important to know, because top 5 teams generally play tons of true freshmen

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Boston College is really looking forward to Spring.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can Oklahoma possible not be on this list? They need a big spring to figure out their quarterback, what their offense is going to look like, find another receiver to go along side Shepard, and figure out how the fuck to play defense.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team needs a big spring. I guarantee there are no teams out there thinking, "Oh it's alright if we look like ass right now."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team needs a big spring. I guarantee there are no teams out there thinking, "Oh it's alright if we look like ass right now."

Meh. If I'm Ohio state, I'm really not worried.

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia needs a big one as we need some clarity on the DLine and at the quarterback position. Other than those positions, we seem pretty setup for a possible run. Those are extremely important though (obviously)

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky? Didn't know they even had a football program there, thought it was all basketball.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. If I'm Ohio state, I'm really not worried.

Okay, maybe not worried, but I'm still thinking they're expecting a good spring. I would think that everyone wants to have a strong spring.

This discussion has also veered a little off the OP since the article is about having a strong recruitment showing. Same idea though in that nobody would be okay with subpar recruiting.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article like this, and think: They get paid for this? Talk about stealing money.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just over 2 weeks (4/4) til the Michigan Spring Game. Harbaugh and company have been busting these kid's tails (no more sitting around for 2 hours/practice in the film room). The tempo is much faster and the hitting more intense. A lot of position changes and players getting looks on both sides of the ball. We'll see how much progress can be made in one year.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five teams on the list have easy ways to get off the list

Florida - talent rich state to recruit, in the SEC
LSU - does well with their instate recruit talent, Texas is next door, in the SEC
Michigan - still has the name of Michigan and a bazillion dollars, an excellent school
Texas - has Texas to recruit, only real competition for Texas recruits is Oklahoma and A&M. Has more money than the rest of the Power 5 combined to spend on football(exaggeration)
Notre Dame - still the name of Notre Dame. NBC contract. Catholics.

Five teams that will struggle
Kentucky - not even sure why they are on the list. I can think of a few other lists they can be on, like EASY SEC WIN
Miami - has to recruit against Florida and Florida State, massive massive fan apathy, once the Hurricanes lose a couple games they easily lose 50,000 fans in the stands. Tough to play second fiddle in your own conference in your state then compound it with the other team being in the SEC
Nebraska - has history and fanatic fans. But it is in the middle of the Great Plains. Most California, Texas, and Florida recruits think there is nothing but corn there because they are poorly educated. No recruiting hotbed nearby. Did you know it was 90 degrees in Lincoln, Nebraska on Monday, March 16, 2015? But, a good coach can easily change it as there is no other show for about a 500 mile radius.
TCU - a coach away from heading back to SMU status. Have Texas, Oklahoma as competition for recruits in their own conference. Has A&M and the SEC right next door.
UCLA - like TCU. A coach away from being irrelevant again. Apathetic fans. A losing season equals missing fans. Anyone remember these guys from 1996 to 2011? Bob Toledo, Karl Dorrall, and Rick Neuheisel. UCLA was the first team to go the conference championship and lose to be 6-7 but then was allowed to go to a bowl game and finish 6-8.

Archangel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five teams on the list have easy ways to get off the list

Florida - talent rich state to recruit, in the SEC
LSU - does well with their instate recruit talent, Texas is next door, in the SEC
Michigan - still has the name of Michigan and a bazillion dollars, an excellent school
Texas - has Texas to recruit, only real competition for Texas recruits is Oklahoma and A&M. Has more money than the rest of the Power 5 combined to spend on football(exaggeration)
Notre Dame - still the name of Notre Dame. NBC contract. Catholics.

Five teams that will struggle
Kentucky - not even sure why they are on the list. I can think of a few other lists they can be on, like EASY SEC WIN
Miami - has to recruit against Florida and Florida State, massive massive fan apathy, once the Hurricanes lose a couple games they easily lose 50,000 fans in the stands. Tough to play second fiddle in your own conference in your state then compound it with the other team being in the SEC
Nebraska - has history and fanatic fans. But it is in the middle of the Great Plains. Most California, Texas, and Florida recruits think there is nothing but corn there because they are poorly educated. No recruiting hotbed nearby. Did you know it was 90 degrees in Lincoln, Nebraska on Monday, March 16, 2015? But, a good coach can easily change it as there is no other show for about a 500 mile radius.
TCU - a coach away from heading back to SMU status. Have Texas, Oklahoma as competition for recruits in their own conference. Has A&M and the SEC right next door.
UCLA - like TCU. A coach away from being irrelevant again. Apathetic fans. A losing season equals missing fans. Anyone remember these guys from 1996 to 2011? Bob Toledo, Karl Dorrall, and Rick Neuheisel. UCLA was the first team to go the conference championship and lose to be 6-7 but then was allowed to go to a bowl game and finish 6-8.

Lots of teams lean on great coaches. I don't see TCU struggling much.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of teams lean on great coaches. I don't see TCU struggling much.

Look at where they've finished over the course of the last 10 - 12 years in the polls. It's beyond impressive. Patterson is the real deal. What a coach that guy is.